ECH

For announcements of upcoming 356-related events and discussion of past events. NOTE: Contact lorischutz@porsche356registry.org to have events added to website calendar.
Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

Re: ECH

#16 Post by Michael Branning »

The 2023 ECH capacity is 125 cars and no more than 250 people due to the available facilities.There is a pent up demand for events and Blowing Rock is a very nice venue, which led to a faster than anticipated sell-out. Daryle and Don have put together a good team and we are very appreciative of all the volunteers that are working to put on this event. The Trustees have discussed the need to have more future Holidays and ideally at large venues in our last meeting.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Ted Hengst
356Talk Admin

#17 Post by Ted Hengst »

I'm one of the disappointed guys that didn't make the "cut." Tried to register at 1PM on the 15th and it was already full, so closer to 12 hours than 23 hours for the event to be sold out. Wish all attending a successful event.

Ted

Chuck Strickland
356 Fan

#18 Post by Chuck Strickland »

Is this an event where you can go to or must you be a registrar. In other words public is not invited?

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#19 Post by Jim Liberty »

The word is "Volunteer". ..........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Tom Keating
356 Fan

#20 Post by Tom Keating »

It is a great area. You do not need to register to go to the concours. I am headed back to Jacksonville,Fl after the vintage races at the Glen. It seems like a good area to park the motorhome for a few days & see friends. I will not have my 64 coupe with me.
Tom Keating
1964 356C Sunroof

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#21 Post by Ned Gorski »

been out of the loop lately. i just found out about the 23 ech and went to register and was sadly disappointed.. oh well ill be a little more vigilant in keeping an eye out for 2024...... btw great location

Regards Ned

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#22 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Wow, that's great news for the organizers! I'll be driving the 356 out to Rennsport during the ECH, so for those who didn't get in should look into driving out to Monterey and Laguna Seca.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Kevin Ferris
356 Fan

#23 Post by Kevin Ferris »

The original registration notification I received, stated opening date of February 1st at 12:00 noon. On that date I went in to register and it said the date was moved to February 15th at 12:00. So, on that new date, I went in to register about 12:25 in the afternoon and after going through all of the required information entries and submitting my request, a screen popped up stating I had to pre-pay by submitting an email to the site contacts that were listed. I submitted the email request, stating my confusion and to this day, I have not received a response. Granted, due to family and other issues for me, I have not attended an ECH in about 7 years. I was looking forward to finally getting back into the annual events. I tried later that day to re-register and the website then said the event was full. I cannot verify or prove that the listed time of registration showed 12:00 midnight or 12:00 afternoon, but within 12.5 hours, if I was wrong on the time, the registration filled very fast. I even tried to put my name on the waiting list, but the website would not accept my information. Having said all of that, with the number of ECH's I have attended, I have never heard of anyone getting in by 'standby'. Just sayin'.......

Kevin Ferris
Kevin Ferris in NY
Miss Karmann-1964 C Coupe #217109

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#24 Post by Jules Dielen »

Please stop by at the Vintage Trader booth at the ECH and check out our 356 LED upgrades!

Www.vintagetraderaz.com
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#25 Post by Adam Wright »

I have a real conflict with what is the best holiday. I've been to ones that were very down to earth and homey, we all get to sit on the grass and enjoy our cars, take over a small resort kind of thing. I really like those, but those places fill of up really really fast. The alternative is the corporate hotel/conference center where we get part of a huge parking lot roped off and end up sharing the hotel space with a window salesman convention, but everyone can go because there is unlimited space.
I wish there was a middleground, but there isn't always. I've served on the board for a Holiday and the amount of planning and work is pretty astounding so I can see how once a decision is made it's stuck with.
The only alternative I've seen work well is the Registry takes over a resort, it fills up fast and there are several overflow hotels. The one I remember was Berry Hill, I ended up staying at a nearby Holiday Inn Express with a bunch of other people. But we all still got to go, even if the host hotel was filled up within a couple of days.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#26 Post by Mark Roth »

The Trustees are working on a new approach to Registry holidays that will lessen the burden on the volunteers. It is still in the very initial stages so no details yet.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

George Kehler
356 Fan

#27 Post by George Kehler »

Kudos to Daryle Higginbotham and Don Trexler for a memorable ECH 2023. The host hotel was a wonderful venue and the drive out’s picturesque. Thanks to Chip Perry for graciously opening his Car Barn and collection to host us in a sumptuous reception. The People’s Choice Concours was set around the lovely lake at Chetola Lodge. Tech sessions were informative and the closing Gala was much fun with various fun takes on 1948 attire !! Congrats to class and raffle winners. Thanks to all involved in one of the best Holidays I have attended !!
George Kehler II

1955 Coupe
1971 911 S
1997 993 Targa

C J Murray
356 Fan

#28 Post by C J Murray »

George Kehler wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:26 pm Kudos to Daryle Higginbotham and Don Trexler for a memorable ECH 2023. The host hotel was a wonderful venue and the drive out’s picturesque. Thanks to Chip Perry for graciously opening his Car Barn and collection to host us in a sumptuous reception. The People’s Choice Concours was set around the lovely lake at Chetola Lodge. Tech sessions were informative and the closing Gala was much fun with various fun takes on 1948 attire !! Congrats to class and raffle winners. Thanks to all involved in one of the best Holidays I have attended !!
100% agree! Daryle and Don have exactly the perfect outgoing personalities needed to make an event fun, fun, fun! There were many other helpful volunteers too. I nominate that whole crew to do an ECH next year at another of their favorite locations. Make that 3 years from now, once they have forgotten how much work it was.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#29 Post by George Bryan »

George & Cliff agree 100%. The community has hosted many events over the decades and this could be the BEST event I ever attended put on by any Porsche group or club. Incredibly nice area, and a well thought out and coordinated program. The Car Barn was over the top, hotel accommodations, the food and service spectacular, great hospitality, and of course, Diane, Jules, and the many many people who just all seemed to be having a good time.

Many very special cars to see at the event and nice to see a lot of the driven...seeing the America roadster driving in (not trailered) was very cool. I know it is a lot of work doing a large scale event. I hope when the dust settles, you post a list of everyone who pulled this off from the parking lot guides on up the chain to the bosses for us to thank. Great tech by Ray Morgan & Pete Bartelli to include the "dumb ass" award was very well done...and fun! The banquet was hilarious and fast moving with no dead air. The Rowan & Martin hosts (Don & Daryle) kept you in stitches and did a GREAT job. Thanks for the many extras, and kudos to those who participated in the 1948 dress up for dinner... the Milkman & the Sailor were award worthy rigs. The Gmund Gazette should be shared with all, as that was a very special labor of love to produce it.

A high bar was set, Don't know how you can top it...but if anyone can, Daryle, Don and crew can!

Thanks again. Hope all had safe travels home.
George

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#30 Post by Steve Proctor »

All of the photographers were busy, can't wait for a link to those professional photos as well as photos from the attendees. We have some when the post-event dust settles.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757