windshield install, Roadster & D

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rainer Cooney
356 Fan

Re: windshield install, Roadster & D

#31 Post by Rainer Cooney »

In addition to the problem with poorly dimensioned replacement parts and after having broken more than my fair share of glass a few decades ago I did a hard think as to why I was purchasing more glass than I really wanted to. When a windshield breaks it always starts from the edge due to either a defect and or stress. To lessen the chance of a defect biting me in the ass I started dressing the edge of all glass I installed in 356's with removable windshield frames. To accomplish this I use a series of DMT diamond stones to ease the edges of the glass running the stones along and not across the edges. This will give the glass a gentle radius and also removes any built in defects from the manufacturing process. The stones come in an assortment of grades from coarse to fine and I use them all. Obviously this process only dresses two of the four edges on a windshield, it's two pieces laminated and the center two edges remain untreated. Naturally all this will take a bit ( a lot ) more time but since doing this process I've not broken any glass either during the install or after years of driving.
Attachments
128542D3-A1B8-4372-8A48-3E986925B534.jpeg

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: windshield install, Roadster & D

#32 Post by Wes Bender »

Good thing to know Rainer. Thanks for posting.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....