62 Herron Grey touch up paint

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
mark bibler
356 Fan

62 Herron Grey touch up paint

#1 Post by mark bibler »

Hello all. I have a few areas on my 62 coupe that need a rattle can touch up but can’t find Reutter 739 sold anywhere. Any suggestions? I’m not a perfectionist at this point and any shade close will work. Thank you. Mark

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: 62 Herron Grey touch up paint

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

I would take a panel off the car (just forward of the door) and take it to a car paint vendor and let them scan it.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dave Erickson »

Wes Bender wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:44 pm I would take a panel off the car (just forward of the door) and take it to a car paint vendor and let them scan it.
Does that actually work? Two paint salesmen at local auto parts stores told me it doesn’t. Both said it will get you close, but then it still requires hand mixing and trial and error to get a good match. One shop sold Glasurit, and the other Nelson paints. However, I have no idea if they just say that to avoid liability if the paint does not match.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

That's possible Dave. I've done it twice and both were good matches, although their disclaimer, similar to what you were told, was on my receipt. I found that to be easier than trying to track down an older point code. It also accounts for any change in color due to age.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

I use the gas door since it has faded with the car. A GLASURIT or PPG dealer can mix a match for the paint in single stage. You can use a Preval kit to apply it, or get a touch up gun for small areas.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Scanning is a bit hit or miss but usually fairly acceptable. A lot of paint stores can put it in a spray can for you, maybe $35 each. It’s reasonable to try. Have some lacquer thinner handy, you can easily wash it off if it’s not good.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by Larry Brooks »

Heron Gray is one of my favorite 356 colors because it is so subtle and really accentuates the 356 body lines. I've owned three factory Heron Gray cars over the years - two 61's and a 63. Years ago I researched the paint formula and was surprised to see that an old german paint mixing book said it was a blend only two colors, white and black. This surprised me because Heron has a very faint hint of green to it. I spoke with an old paint man and he said the green came from the black because Glasurit used a Green based Black paint in the early 60's.

I mention this because you might need to have your paint man add a touch of Green tint to get it right.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Brooks »

The green tinge is also in the 6201 Slate grey. I had some mixed a few years ago, sent the GLASURIT factory formula to a single stage specialty paint supplier in Miami. Shot a bumper and it was close but wrong. Called to talk to the company and was told by the Old Cuban paint mixing guy " No green in the Grey, even tough the formula I sent called for 2 CC. Needless to say not quite right for the 6201 RAL 7015 Schiefergrau. Had it remixed to the formula and it was fine. I also ordered power coating powder by the RAL 7015 number and it was a perfect match.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#9 Post by Larry Brooks »

John Brooks wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:07 pm The green tinge is also in the 6201 Slate grey. I had some mixed a few years ago, sent the GLASURIT factory formula to a single stage specialty paint supplier in Miami. Shot a bumper and it was close but wrong. Called to talk to the company and was told by the Old Cuban paint mixing guy " No green in the Grey, even tough the formula I sent called for 2 CC. Needless to say not quite right for the 6201 RAL 7015 Schiefergrau. Had it remixed to the formula and it was fine. I also ordered power coating powder by the RAL 7015 number and it was a perfect match.
Makes me think that the original formula might have only been Black and White for Slate gray too. Obviously a higher percentage of Black vs White. I'm about to paint a 1962 back to Slate Gray and have been concerned about getting it right. As we're mixing the paint I will remember to try a dash of green if needed. The car started out Slate, but has been Yellow for many decades - wonder if it first got painted when Bullitt came out? I really like Champagne Yellow on 356's too, but it's going back to original color.

I printed out that old German mixing guide a long time ago. Hopefully I can find it and check. If I do I will post it here.

mark bibler
356 Fan

#10 Post by mark bibler »

Thank you fellas. Larry, do you purchase the Glasurit from your local shop? Internet source? Thanks for that tip, Martin. I didn’t know those DIY spray applicators existed. KTF.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#11 Post by Larry Brooks »

mark bibler wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:35 pm Thank you fellas. Larry, do you purchase the Glasurit from your local shop? Internet source? Thanks for that tip, Martin. I didn’t know those DIY spray applicators existed. KTF.
There was a local distributor for Glasurit in Portland, not sure if they still carry it. The last German paint I bought from them was actually Spies Hecker for a 1969 912 (very rare Karmann Sunroof). Several paint jobs ago I decided to have my painters use the best paint they are used to working with. Otherwise they have a built-in excuse if there is a problem with the paint. The last couple painters used PPG Deltron single stage and I have been happy with the paint quality and finish. Hopefully my 1962 will be painted with it shortly.

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

62 Heron Grey touch up paint

#12 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I used PPG Concept single stage acrylic urethane in OEM Porsche code 6207 Heron Grey. Painted Feb 2009 & still looks new. Like Wes and John’s suggestions.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

Dulltron might look more original than many modern urethanes. That’s what we called it at my shop.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

mark bibler
356 Fan

#14 Post by mark bibler »

Tom. Do you think PPG Concept paint is still available? If it is, it’s as hard to get as Glasurit. Maybe restricted here in Ca.? Thanks, Mark

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

62 Heron Grey touch up paint

#15 Post by Tom Wavrin »

PPG Concept is still available. In CA it’s my understanding that availability of this type of paint depends on your location and local environmental laws. More likely to find it in less urban areas, I suspect. Per Wes’s comment PPG Deltron might offer a closer sheen to blend with an older finish.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT