Mazatlan

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Mazatlan

#16 Post by Mike Wilson »

Since this has strayed from a 356-related topic, this conversation should be moved to the "Off Topic" forum.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Beam
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jim Beam »

Wes:

Good comment regarding my name.i think a change would be in order if I ever moved to Maztalan.
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#18 Post by Jim Clement »

Canada is safe and less expensive than the US and is the safest by far of any of the country's as above..
only one problem.. It is very cold in the winter..
Last edited by Jim Clement on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#19 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Jim Liberty wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:04 pm My wife is going to Sicily in early summer. I can't talk her out of it. I will not go. Even the airlines are out of control, not to mention Russia and Ukraine. Oh, and then there is N. Korea, Iran, and China. The world situation is on a razors edge. All it takes is some idiot (And there are plenty to go around, even here) to start a real war, what ever that is, and one will never get home. ............Guys, I am an eternal optimist too. .............Jim.
Jim,

Not to get too off topic, and now that I think about it...hasn't it always been this way over thest 160 years or so? There was the Civil War, then the Spanish Flu pandemic, then The Great War (later called WWI kinda like we say "pre-A") then the great depression, then WWII, then Korea, then the Cold War & Cuban Missile Crisis, then Vietnam, then the Iran Hostage situation, then the Gulf War then 9-11, then the Great Recession, then the Covid Pandemic... and during most of this time period the Middle East conflicts.

Point is,the world is always in turmoil so this is all nothing new. Up until now I've considered myself to be an eternal optimist as well but oh, boy.....
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

John Clarke
356 Fan

#20 Post by John Clarke »

Think You nailed it Seb.
Case Closed.
Cheers Jay

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#21 Post by Brian R Adams »

Sebastian Gaeta wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:36 pm Jim,

Not to get too off topic, and now that I think about it...hasn't it always been this way over thest 160 years or so? There was the Civil War, then the Spanish Flu pandemic, then The Great War (later called WWI kinda like we say "pre-A") then the great depression, then WWII, then Korea, then the Cold War & Cuban Missile Crisis, then Vietnam, then the Iran Hostage situation, then the Gulf War then 9-11, then the Great Recession, then the Covid Pandemic... and during most of this time period the Middle East conflicts.

Point is,the world is always in turmoil so this is all nothing new. Up until now I've considered myself to be an eternal optimist as well but oh, boy.....
That's why "May you live in interesting times." is actually a curse (Chinese?)

Here's a big part of the problem - indoctrination. Is it any secret that our universities are absolutely controlled by the scariest kind of zealots? Just one small example: An English course offered this summer at staid, no-nonsense Johns Hopkins University:

Climate Fiction and Capitalist Accumulation – AS.060.186

This course will examine the relationship between capitalist accumulation, the climate crisis, and contemporary climate fiction. What is capitalist accumulation? How has this process led to the contemporary climate crisis? What ideas constitute its ideological apparatus? How do contemporary climate fictions critique and/or amplify these ideas? With these questions as our point of departure, we will read a selection of contemporary climate fiction alongside excerpted works of history, climate science, and critical theory. Through this examination, we will develop an understanding of how contemporary climate fictions participate in climate change discourse, politics, and the social struggles that both underpin and are exacerbated by climate change. By the end of the course, students will be able to define capitalist accumulation, its politics, and its ideas, as well as climate fiction. Students will analyze how climate fictions critique and amplify capitalist ideology and politics. Students will develop insights into how climate fictions perform this work at the levels of both content and form. Finally, through critical and creative writing projects that engage, reconsider, and respond to the course readings, students will refine critical thinking and writing skills.

https://summer.jhu.edu/programs-courses ... e-catalog/
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#22 Post by Martin Benade »

My view is that this is about studying and learning, which is quite different from indoctrination. No harm comes from thinking.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#23 Post by Martin Benade »

I think we are drifting too far into politics for this forum although this is an interesting discussion.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#24 Post by Spencer Harris »

Jim Clement wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:30 pm Canada is safe and less expensive that the US and is the safest by far of any of the country's as above..
only one problem.. It is very cold in the winter..
We loved living in Bragg Creek, Alberta for 3-1/2 years. We enjoyed strapping our skis on and skating down the road and across the frozen Elbow River into the Provincial Park with 20-something miles of X-country trails, and Calgary is one of my favorite cities in the world. Jim neglected to mention that the winters are not only very cold, but they last for what seems like 3/4 of the year (not counting the occasional Chinooks).
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#25 Post by Brian R Adams »

Martin Benade wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:14 pm My view is that this is about studying and learning,
I don't think you could possibly have read the synopsis, but I'm going to "pick up and walk quietly" as Ken Venturi often said.
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#26 Post by Martin Benade »

I did read it. Sometimes the exact same words are interpreted in very different ways by different people. That’s how the world works.
We are still friends.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#27 Post by Mark Roth »

Brian R. Adams wrote,
Here's a big part of the problem - indoctrination. Is it any secret that our universities are absolutely controlled by the scariest kind of zealots? Just one small example: An English course offered this summer at staid, no-nonsense Johns Hopkins University:
This statement is political, against the forum rules, and should not have been posted. Political discussion is not allowed on this forum. The topic is safe places for retirement outside the United States.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#28 Post by Neil Bardsley »

I would love to retire to Italy. Amazing country. Mexico no. A little too dangerous for my liking. Colleague got held up on way back from Cancun to the airport. Spain is also fantastic and reasonably priced. Lisbon is even cheaper and very pretty

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#29 Post by Greg Bryan »

Wes Bender wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:07 pm Another problem is your name, Jim. The cartels might think you own a couple of distilleries and are consequently quite rich, thus making you a target.
Wes - maybe Jim does own a distillery. I've drank my share of Jim Beam ...
Greg Bryan

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#30 Post by Wes Bender »

Jim Beam owns Maker's Mark, my adult beverage of choice. As an ambassador for Maker's Mark I'm expected to keep up my end...... If Jim indeed does own those distilleries, I think he owes us a couple of samples for plugging his products.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....