Mirror for right side

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Wurner
356 Fan

Re: Mirror for right side

#16 Post by John Wurner »

Hi Bill
Does your right mirror have a twist to the left or is the spine straight like the left mirror?
Thanks for the measurements.
John

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jules Dielen »

John, original aero mirrors have a small bend like yours. The reproduction mirrors do not have this bend. At least none that I have seen.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

John Wurner
356 Fan

#18 Post by John Wurner »

Thank you, Jules, that would explain it.

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#19 Post by Bill Tate »

John, Mine are straight replacements. Both were missing when I bought my tub in '66.
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

Bill, assuming they are original, do your mirrors have straight or slightly bent stalks?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#21 Post by Martin Benade »

Bill, do you think that placement is more functional than if they were matching, or that they just eyeballed it?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bill Tate
356 Fan

#22 Post by Bill Tate »

I went out and checked my two numbers. I made an error on the right side. I would say they are both 6.5mm from the door edge. Not staying aligned on the axis can cause errors. Also I may have measured to the right fender. To be exact I would need to remove the mirrors. The right mirror needs to be back far enough so you can see through the plastic part of the right side curtain when installed for rain. When I repaired my tub back in '08/09 I had purchased Ponto Stable mirrors to replace the Aeros I had installed back in the late '60s. When I bought it it had a Talbott forward on the front right fender. The PO had filled in the mirror holes and also removed the hood handle prior to painting it blue. After soda blasting all the paint only the two holes for the Aero mirrors were revealed. When I tried to fit the Ponto mirrors to match my KARDEX in was very evident that no holes were ever in the doors that would have fit the closer spacing of the Ponto mirrors. This is the only known error I found on my KARDEX. I suspect the installer was using a template to locate the mirror holes. If there is keen interest I could remove the dress rail and mirrors to make a template for the left mirror to see if when flipped it would match the holes drilled for the right mirror.
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

John Wurner
356 Fan

#23 Post by John Wurner »

Hi Bill
Thanks for the info.
My car is a 60 Roadster so has glass windows, but placing the right mirror slightly back is a good solution as it gives you visibility.
My main concern was, did they produce an Aero mirror where the stalk bends slightly left to give visibility, and the answer seems to be yes.
John