Old sports cars in old movies

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Rick Helberg
356 Fan

Old sports cars in old movies

#1 Post by Rick Helberg »

This might be so far “Off Topic”, I hope Mark does not delete it. If you enjoy viewing old Sports Cars in old movies try this B movie “The Fast and the Furious” 1954, with John Ireland & Dorothy Malone which I recently viewed on TCM. The plot? Who cares….its about the period cars. Well. OK: there is the bad man trying to escape and a good woman with a Jaguar XK 120 going to a sports car race towards Mexico all set in So. Calif. Focus is on the Jaguars as John Ireland (actor/director) finagled a deal with a Jag dealer. Numerous sports cars are seen: Healys, Jags, Allards, Triumph. Your challenge is to identify them all. Hint =the Police cars are Nash. Scene locations were shot from Malibu to Monterey (not really close to Mexican border). There were Fast glimpses of Porsches in a racing scene about 1 hour in. Available on youtube but full screen preferred.

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

Re: Old sports cars in old movies

#2 Post by Mark Roth »

Why would I delete it? Off topic is off topic.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brian R Adams »

"On The Beach" (1959; 2h:14m; G. Peck, A. Gardner, F. Astaire, A. Perkins)

Very realistic depiction, with some vintage footage, of a road race w/ 356s, Ferraris, 300SLs, Jaguars, Corvettes etc. Fred Astaire "drives" a 1955 Ferrari 750 Monza Spider which in 2011 was sold at auction for over $2.5m. A couple of 356s and other cars are sacrificed in horrific crashes. The B&W cinematography of the race action is startlingly clear, nothing like the vintage race footage we are used to seeing from the 1950s. The race action appears in the final quarter of the picture, at ~1:44. This film is shown fairly often on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and is currently available as free on-demand streaming on Spectrum cable thru 1 February.
-
On The Beach-1.jpg
-
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brian R Adams »

Say, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but Viva Las Vegas (1964; 1h:24m; E. Presley, Ann-Margret) has a lot of period sports car racing action, and in Metrocolor! Panavision! Damnation.
-

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

I guess neither of you guys read the magazine, I reviewed both those movies over the years. On the Beach is better as a movie, but I would watch Ava Gardner do her taxes....
Attachments
onthebeachreg1.JPG
fastfurious.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Proctor »

Adam Wright wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:39 am I guess neither of you guys read the magazine, I reviewed both those movies over the years. On the Beach is better as a movie, but I would watch Ava Gardner do her taxes....
Great quote about Ava Gardner and the taxes, I'm stealing that but I'll give you credit each time I use it...no really!!
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Steve Proctor wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:21 pm
Adam Wright wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:39 am I guess neither of you guys read the magazine, I reviewed both those movies over the years. On the Beach is better as a movie, but I would watch Ava Gardner do her taxes....
Great quote about Ava Gardner and the taxes, I'm stealing that but I'll give you credit each time I use it...no really!!
Feel free.
Attachments
avag.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#8 Post by Brian R Adams »

Sorry, Adam, I forgot that magazine article. But, the forum stands on its own two feet I suppose.

The mother of a girl in my high school had, in her youth, won an Ava Gardner look-alike contest (obviously back when Ava was considered the world's most beautiful woman.) And, no kidding, mom was a dead ringer for Ava Gardner. It didn't escape my attention that her four daughters were also easy on the eyes. Ah, youth!
-

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Brian R Adams wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:14 pm Sorry, Adam, I forgot that magazine article. But, the forum stands on its own two feet I suppose.

The mother of a girl in my high school had, in her youth, won an Ava Gardner look-alike contest (obviously back when Ava was considered the world's most beautiful woman.) And, no kidding, mom was a dead ringer for Ava Gardner. It didn't escape my attention that her four daughters were also easy on the eyes. Ah, youth!
-
Man, I'd be a grass cutting/window washing fool at that house!
www.unobtanium-inc.com

John Brooks
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Brooks »

Watching “Harper”. 1966 Paul Newman and Joann Woodward movie, he is driving what look like a dolphin gray or glacier white T2 speedster. Color shifts around in the print and gets wrecked but not bad. Lots of speedster shots.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Ted Hedman
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ted Hedman »

It appears that the racing scenes in "On the Beach" were filmed at Riverside Raceway in 1958. I happened upon these photos in the Petersen Digital Archives. Looks like the big wreck between the 356 and Jag was staged at the exit of Turn 6, about where the big Goodyear billboard stood for all those years.
598776scr_wm_07630d9709c6f62.jpg
598800scr_wm_72192b7db66edb9.jpg
598822scr_wm_fb02d998a5e7404.jpg
598823scr_wm_a74e45f9b413efc.jpg
598824scr_wm_d8e34ef198f0387.jpg
598826scr_wm_aaaa6af1b647f95.jpg
598801scr_wm_c2c013d38a50861.jpg
598803scr_wm_7c0b9ae952eb4cd.jpg
Ted Hedman
'62 S90 Coupe

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Proctor »

Re: "On the Beach," great shots, Ted and loved the commentary, Adam. As I watched that movie, I wondered how they staged all the carnage without anyone getting killed, driverless cars, excellent stunt coordinators, whatever? Also, how about the casting for that movie. Fred Astaire? I thought that was a reach, although, guessing he would have been pretty good with his footwork skills during heel and toe maneuvers...
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757