UK Outlaw

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: UK Outlaw

#151 Post by Al Zim »

My latest beetle was a 1973 Sports Bug. Drum brakes front and rear. I never saw a Karmann Ghia with disc rear brakes. They were an upscale car and used disc brakes on the front. You may stop by the shop and look at all the tries we have made to put disc brakes on VW (or 356) drum brake cars. None were successful.
al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#152 Post by Martin Benade »

Al, what I was getting at is about the drum brake RPV, you are aware it doesn’t really match up correctly with disc brakes, right?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#153 Post by Al Zim »

The current situation is that one style two stage master cylinder is offered that will fit the Karmann Ghia (disc brakes front only) and VW. I cannot tell you how long this situation has been in effect. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#154 Post by Graham Kerr »

Quick word on my brake set up. Filled it with new brake fluid, my reservoir is a 911 piece and slightly tucked away, went round and bled the brakes two times and, voila, rock hard pedal. The servo isn't operational of course as the car is minus engine but I reckon it should all be OK. Regarding my engine there has been a slight delay due to a wait for the two dozen or so time serts to be installed in the engine cases prior to shuffle pin tasks and the boring out to 92mil. Also my machinists' vapour blaster went on strike last week so the heads couldn't be done but all is looking good and I hope to get the fully machined cases back before I scoot off to Classic Le Mans and our fabulous chateau. One thing I did get finished was my crank which miked out to be just a couple of microns over the Porsche spec so I had to get it cut 25thou on the mains and rod journals. It was magnafluxed before any work was done and it passed this with flying colours. I posted some words about nitriding in the general section on this forum and concluded that I would not have this treatment effected to my crank. Everyone, that is every person I spoke with said don't do the nitriding because it can distort your crank. Should this happen it can be straightened but that sounds like a whole bunch of additional work so I said no. Hey the crank is forged steel so its tough as old boots anyway. I've bought just about everything new for the engine now, the last few pieces were a set of rocker arms and feet that was just over 2k and a nose bearing which was about 200 bucks.
I have had the type 915 gearbox fully rebuilt with the taller fifth gear which will give me an easy 140 top plus a new LSD which should knock a few seconds of my lap time by keeping all wheels on the pavement. It was over 6K so I'm quite a way over my budget but as Alfred says 'what me worry'.
Attachments
These are just pieces of art
These are just pieces of art
86 SSE Turbo Look 3.2 Carrera
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#155 Post by Martin Benade »

I didn’t know Alfred E was known across the water. I was raised properly, my physics professor father subscribed to Mad.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#156 Post by Graham Kerr »

Got boxes of them, continuously funny, I re-read them often. Also got 15 of the paperback books. Plus a rare Mad board game.
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

John Clarke
356 Fan

#157 Post by John Clarke »

Bon Soir Graham . You have an amazing passion for cars bikes and life. I like following your project 356. And hope to see your Coupe down at the Classic Le Man's. Where's the Chateau?
I'm busy prepping the old Bristol for the trip.
As You say., Everything goes over budget. But. You pay for the best. Good Luck y Bon Voyage.
Salut Jay

C J Murray
356 Fan

#158 Post by C J Murray »

There are some aftermarket VW rear disc brake conversions but the powerful(?) ones don't have a parking brake. Fine for my Devin racer but I am using drums on the rear of my street 356 with front Wilwood calipers.

The only 911 powered, 911 trans and suspension 356 car that I have driven I did not like at all. They are very heavy at the rear and you feel it. Even a SWB 911 feels better. To each his own.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#159 Post by Graham Kerr »

D'ya remember 'Botch casually and the somedense kid' still cracks me up
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#160 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Graham
the current practice is either replace the 911 crank or if it is ground not to grind the nose and definitely Nitride and replace the plugs. The strength of the steel is not the determine factor for wear hopefully the initial conditioning from the factory has penetrated that deep. you could have reused the #8 bearing that way and applied the savings to the surface conditioning. BTW ION Nitriding rarely requires straightening. rockers can usually be rebuilt for less than .5K. You have been given bad advice in my estimation.
j

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#161 Post by Graham Kerr »

I have to say I am confused with all this crankshaft business. I'm not entirely stupid, I must have re-built about 10 engines in my time, the most complex was a Peugeot 205 GTI lump all the rest were basically block off to the machine shop, buy a load of parts, make sure it's dimensions are right, throw it all together, job done. But the Porsche engine! Maybe I should have simply guided myself with common sense and the odd manual and not spoken with so many people about what should or shouldn't be the correct procedure. Anyway the crank is now done and all the engine cases and heads and vast amounts of new parts will soon be making their way to a veritable engine maestro, he's been building race car engines for thirty years and should he find anything incorrect or any short comings, he will certainly tell me plus he will right all and any wrongs. I have complete faith in his skills.
Regarding the rocker arms, the intention was to re-bush them, in fact I bought a set of new bushes from Dougherty Cams nr Sacramento but there was wear on the heel of the rockers so I had to buy a new set mainly because everything else was new up in the valve area.
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#162 Post by Graham Kerr »

My engine man now has the cases which have been shuffle pinned, bored to 92mil, modified oilways, and it's had 29 timeserts fitted to ensure all the threads are up to scratch. The heads have been vapour blasted then fitted with new bronze seats for the big valves, ported to my 46 IDA Weber manifolds and skimmed. The reground crank is with him and he is checking to see if an align bore job will be necessary. I'm keeping my 40 IDA Webers but I've just bought bigger venturis - chokes, plus a bunch of bigger jets, the thinking is by keeping these smaller carbs it should give me an acceptable bottom end performance especially as I'll be running some nasty cams and this would not happen if I went to big 46 IDA's. I will lose a bit on the top end but a few mph difference at 130 or so won't worry me.
I received my fully rebuilt 915 trans back from Scotland with loads of new stuff in it including a new Quaife LSD and an 8/31 CWP which will give me easy 100mph capability, actually it should top out somewhere near to 140, that sounds like big fun. I stuck the trans back in the car just to see how my new Rennspeed shifter works out and it works out very well indeed. I've got it on a Willhoit ally trans plate that raises the shift lever a bit and makes a better line for the shift rod back to the trans. The Rennspeed has a glorious feel to swapping cogs, very firm and close. I'll be filling the trans with Swepco 201, good stuff just a little hard to get hold of over here.
Attachments
IMG_1359 (1).JPG
IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1355 (1).JPG
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#163 Post by Graham Kerr »

Oops, sorry 'bout the photos, they were from my 'phone and why they print 90 degrees out I don't know. Anyway, I'll have another go. I regret to advise that there is nothing to report on the engine front yet so I have been trying to find little jobs to do on the car whilst I wait patiently for news. One thing I had never completed was to bleed the brakes after fitting the servo into the system, My delay was really to flush out the whole system and refill it with a litre or so of new dot 4. I have never subscribed to anything fancy when it comes to brake bleeding, just an old can with some fluid in it, a bit of rubber tube onto the backed out bleed nipples and get pumping. However, I had spent a couple of frustrating days going round the car and getting lots of air but no pedal. I thought this was fairly reasonable as I had fitted in a couple more pipes to hook up the servo but I was really not happy with the situation. One small item that had slipped my mind was the fact that I had fitted a new single line master cylinder, it was a type 1 Beetle unit, single line because the servo only had one outlet and replaced the previous 911 unit which was a dual line piece. As there was a minor difference in dimensions I had fabricated a dual threaded pushrod for the pedal to cylinder and on inspection I noticed there was minimal play between the two. I shortened the overall length of the pushrod and it immediately gave a better feel to the pedal. I went round the car one more time, fluid can and rubber hose in play and, voila, zero air and one rock hard pedal. I had the temerity to power up the servo, engine vacuum not needed, it has a stand alone vacuum pump, and I now have two finger braking, well two toes anyway, job done methinks.
Another small job I fancied having a bash at was to tidy up the front area of the car. If you are Mr. Normal it's the space where your 16" x 4" spare wheel goes. In my heap it's where the big battery, servo, servo vacuum pump, air horns and supplementary fuse box reside and when I opened the hood I didn't want to see all that. I had previously purchased a big sheet of door card material which is quite sturdy stuff but slightly flexible and I thought it would be ideal to be sited as a sort of mezzanine cover to hide all this stuff. It was easy, I just cut a couple of patterns, fitted a length of alloy as a retainer and slotted it in. I reckon it finishes off the front compartment area quite nicely.
Attachments
IMG_1378 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1377 - Copy.JPG
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Graham Kerr
356 Fan

#164 Post by Graham Kerr »

After a particularly dreadful Christmas period with injuries, illness and capping it all off two deaths all from, thankfully, no relatives, but, from quite close friends, I have been able to get back from not travelling to hospitals but to get over to the workshop where a re-start can take place for my engine build. So to date the heads have now been rebuilt with all the combustion chamber volumes checked and made equal and the valve spring heights set. All the piston rings have been gapped and the cylinders honed to get the correct clearance and the cam carriers are just about to go for ultrasonic cleaning. I ordered a set of new chokes, jets and emulsion tubes for the carbs and got on with stripping them down for major cleaning. A worrying point which came to light following their disassembly was the amount of grit and debris hidden in the carbs. When I was running the old 2.4 engine I never had any air cleaners on the carbs, just straight ram pipes but when my new 2.8 is up together I will certainly try to get some filtration sorted out. The problem here is that there is only an inch or so clearance above the rearmost carb choke to the engine lid so I shall have to get a bit clever in this regard. Another bit of muck was found in the cam spray bar which if it had been installed without being rodded through and cleaned would have meant a rather swift sayonara to my nice new cams. Phew you just have to check every single nut, bolt and washer.
Attachments
GYIN5919.JPG
KTII4629.JPG
WMQV4902.JPG
Cole Foster Chop
75 Honda ST70
94 Buell ST2
74 Dax Cobra
18 Macan Turbo
62 356B T6 (modified)

Karl Hashmi
356 Fan
Tag: Keep the faith

#165 Post by Karl Hashmi »

Hi Graham, have you considered any thing like this......

https://www.itgairfilters.com/products/ ... ack-framed

Karl