Continental won't start

For Pre A discussions and questions
Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

Continental won't start

#1 Post by Rafik Dous »

Last Wednesday i took my '55 Continental for a drive, after 3 or 4 miles it started struggling then it stalled. The starter struggled too. Clicks but no crank. Eventually it started but ran very poorly like it wasn't getting enough fuel or running on 2 cylinders. I nursed it home. It has a C engine, still 6v.

Next day I started it in the garage, still ran rough and poorly.
I decide to put a 6v electric fuel pump which I did today.

Now it won't start. Nothing to do with the pump, I hear the starter clicks but wouldn't crank. I charged the battery, its showing 6.8v or 7v.
Do you think it is not cranking because there is a starter issue or the battery not strong enough? Is 6.8v enough for the starter to crank the engine? Is it an electric problem?
I just need to get it cranking before I figure out why it is running rough.
Thank you in advance
Rafik

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Continental won't start

#2 Post by David Jones »

Sounds like the dreaded starter bushing. My battery's normally drop to the low 5 volts level while cranking and start with no load at 6.1 to 6
After you have it cranking I would be checking the pilot jet on each carb. Sounds like one or both of them may be plugged
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

#3 Post by Rafik Dous »

So starter out job?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Before pulling the starter try jumping the main battery connection on the solenoid to the solenoid coil terminal just in case it's a bad starter switch.
If it just jumps a little and does not turn then it is likely the starter bushing.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Rafik Dous wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:14 pm So starter out job?
Yes, but not an engine out job. After verifying with David's procedure in the post above, remove the starter and then run a tap into the bushing so as not to push it into the bellhousing. Once tight pull out the bushing with the tap and install the new one. Before reinstalling the starter you should also also clean the short, thick wire between the solenoid and body of the starter because when that gets dirty and corroded it creates a lot of resistance. I have improved the performance of my starters simply by doing this one little thing when it is out of the car.

EDIT: Your '55 might have a strap instead of a thick wire between the solenoid and body but the same concept applies.
Last edited by Sebastian Gaeta on Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

I’d see what the voltage at the battery drags down to while cranking (or attempting to). You could have a battery that can’t supply enough current any more. Along with an ignition or carb problem making it run poorly.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jules Dielen »

Rafik, i would start with a new battery or do a load check. Even when they show 6.8v, it can still have a bad cell and not have enough cranking power. Low voltage can also mess with the ignition while driving.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#8 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Rafik Dous wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:59 pm Last Wednesday i took my '55 Continental for a drive, after 3 or 4 miles it started struggling then it stalled. SO NOT THE STARTER The starter struggled too. Clicks but no crank. SOUNDS LIKE A LOW BATTERY Eventually it started but ran very poorly like it wasn't getting enough fuel or running on 2 cylinders. I nursed it home. It has a C engine, still 6v.

Next day I started it in the garage, still ran rough and poorly.
I decide to put a 6v electric fuel pump which I did today. BETTER TO MEASURE THE FUEL PRESSURE AFTER THE PUMP. IF IT IS AT LEAST 2 LB THEN IT IS NOT THE PUMP.

Now it won't start. Nothing to do with the pump, I hear the starter clicks but wouldn't crank. I charged the battery, its showing 6.8v or 7v. SO CLEAN ALL THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS AND JUMP IT WITH ANOTHER 6V BATTERY. IF IT STILL DOESNT TURN OVER, IT IS THE STARTER/BUSHING---IN ADDITION TO THE FIRST PROBLEM.
Do you think it is not cranking because there is a starter issue or the battery not strong enough? Is 6.8v enough for the starter to crank the engine? IT IS THE VOLTAGE WHILE CRANKING WHICH COUNTS SEE DAVID'S POST ABOVE Is it an electric problem? YOU MEAN ARE THEY...PROBLEMS.
I just need to get it cranking before I figure out why it is running rough. THE TEMPERATURE AFFECTS THE CRANKING SPEED ON A 6V CAR. THEY CRANK MUCH SLOWER IN THE COLD.

Rafik

Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

#9 Post by Rafik Dous »

A dumb mistake on my behalf caused the problem.

Although I had a full tank of petrol, the lever was on Reserve and I ran on that for many kilometres so it pulled all the dirty from the bottom of the tank.
I finally figured out that 3 out of 4 jets were blocked. I removed them and cleaned them.

Now to the starter, I am not exactly sure what was the issue with it. I cleaned all the terminals, etc. I noticed the car didn't have a ground strap from the chassis to the gearbox so I fitted one. Maybe there is one there that I can't see, I am only using a jack to get under the car so visibility is not the best.
Still sometimes when I press the starter button once, I get the click but no crank. If I press the button 2 or 3 times quickly, it will crank. Any words of wisdom here?

Removed the plugs and gave them a good clean.

I also fitted the 6v electric fuel pump.

Now if fires right up.

thank you all for your suggestions

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ned Gorski »

Rafik

my continental cab would do the same thing every now and then. i had to hit the starter button a few times before it turned over . i eventually went through all the wires mains and secondary's in the starting circuit . cleaned the wires tightened the screws cleaned the fuse and used dielectric grease. it hasn't happened since.

best of luck
Regards Ned