Space Saver Spare wheels for outlaw

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rick Hartbrodt
356 Fan

Space Saver Spare wheels for outlaw

#1 Post by Rick Hartbrodt »

I'm going to attempt to find the 944 or 924S 10 hole space saver spare wheels for my 356 C outlaw. My question is do I need to weld anything on these wheels or just refinish them. Seems to me they have some odd hole or another besides the valve stem hole that needs to be dealt with.
Thank you

Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: Space Saver Spare wheels for outlaw

#2 Post by Al Zim »

ZIMZ does not sell those wheels. They were designed for short distances and low speeds (50 MPH). Depending on the size of the other hole you may be able to put a valve stem in it that will correctly seal. Short valve stems like the one used on Wheel Barrows work excellently and do not require the spring clip to hold them in place. You may want to purchase a different style jack to lift the car for roadside situations. Do not purchase the 944 aluminum jack. Purchases a new steel one from a discount auto supply. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#3 Post by Jim Liberty »

Al is 100% on about the spare wheel being meant for emergency use. I would not use them for regular road use. Just my 2 cents. .........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Rick Hartbrodt
356 Fan

#4 Post by Rick Hartbrodt »

Wow. I did not know they were not road worthy wheels. I have to respect this info from two guys that have been around as long or longer than me!
Thanks Al and Jim. Hope you are both doing well.
Rick

Graeme Langford
356 Fan

#5 Post by Graeme Langford »

I've just purchased the jacking point kit from precision matters and a 996 aluminium jack which I have fitted a modified plate to that will accept the jacking pads.
Any reason not to use the 996 aluminium jack
1958 356A
1967 911S

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

I and us have no experience with aluminum jacks. Are you trying to save the difference in weight between the aluminum jack and an iron jack? (sorry I am so blunt). Most 356 guys have SUCCUMBED to the 944 jack! If it was good enough for Porsche that is all I need to know. Zim's (actually me) always throws those jacks away because they are flimsy. Spend 20 bucks at northern tool It will be more jack then you will ever need. ALSO YOU SHOULD CARRY a 1/2 inch piece of plywood to place under the jack so it remains stable. al You do not want to experience a car falling into the mud.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#7 Post by Jim Liberty »

Right on Al. I have a 944 jack too. That said, I have never jacked up a 356 out on the road. The jack spur is a dangerous joke. I carry a tire inflator, but have never used it. Put your baby on a flatbed. ..........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

You don’t think an unrusted jack spur and a tight parking brake function perfectly well for tire changing?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#9 Post by Harlan Halsey »

The Porsche equipment can function. I did it that way in the 1960's. You need a level place, firm footing for the jack. Loosen the lug nuts. Set the hand brake, and make sure the jack stays perpendicular and doesn't tilt or twist as you go up. If it does, reposition the base. When the jack spur weakened enough to allow the jack to dent the rocker panel, I stopped doing it that way. 1968? Today I use a floor jack when one is available. (I have three of them at home.) or AAA in the field. I would only use the Porsche jack in extreme emergency.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Someone once posted about the German standards that those wheels had to pass. Seems they were plenty strong for regular use. I'm sure somebody will come to their defense.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

There are lots of sets of them in use and I’ve never heard of a failure.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Rick Hartbrodt
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rick Hartbrodt »

A few things bother me re the impugning of the wheels by Al. Emory has used these for years. Porsche has been using these for years. The 50 mph is a tire thing not a wheel thing. TUV rated for high speed Autobahn etc etc. I am founder and past owner of Fuchsrestoration.com and have fiddled with Porsche wheels and Porsches in general for over 50 years. I have never heard of a failure of one of these wheels which doesn't mean there isn't one or two out there. I think I'll continue my search for a set.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good point on the tire rating, Rick.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#14 Post by Bill Waite »

The subject regarding the road worthiness of the space saver wheels in question has been discussed many times. If you would like to see an extended discussion on the subject, check out this link (Registry thread):

viewtopic.php?t=51935#p381570

My comments at the time (edited here to update information and links):

Mr. Breazeale,

As you may know, Mr. Zim has posted similar space saver wheel "safety notices" over the years. Although I've been tempted to post a contrary view regarding his claims, I never did (after all, who would believe me?). Your comments, on the other hand, carry the "weight" the subject deserves.

The 951-362-131-00 and 951-362-130-01 15" space saver wheels are made from the very highest grade aluminum alloy and are one piece forged (not pressure cast). The wheels were produced by the Norwegian state-owned aluminum producer Ardal og Sunndal Verk (ASV) for Porsche 951's and 968's. ASV is now part of Norsk Hydro ASA (often referred to as just Hydro), a Norwegian aluminum company, headquartered in Oslo. The 965-362-130-01 16" (10 hole) wheels are "thicker" than the 15" wheels and may be pressure cast instead of forged (I am unable to find a definitive description of the process used).

PN FOR SPACE SAVERS.jpg

In years past I have also "bought and sold" many sets of these space saver wheels (both the 16" and 15" versions). Among the people I sold sets to was Carlo Voegele. He has won many historic races with his 4-litre 1962 330 Ferrari GTO, including the Monterey Classics in 2011.

VOGELE.JPG

Mr. Voegle (as a winning vintage race winner) bought the wheels from me for his 356 Vintage Race car! I'm guessing he must feel safe using these wheels at speeds significantly over 50 MPH.

I checked and found the diameter of the valve stem holes to be approximately .327" or 8.5 mm. This size hole is popular for certain European and other motorcycles. Many guys just use two valve stems per wheel. The space savers have one valve for filling and one for releasing the air. I believe these would fit the bill (double check fitment):

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH9042 ... src=aw.ds&
Last edited by Bill Waite on Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Al Zim
356 Fan

#15 Post by Al Zim »

It was my business decision not to use these wheels. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services