Buying limited editions?

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Brian Davies
356 Fan

Buying limited editions?

#1 Post by Brian Davies »

Hello,

I'm interested in one of the new 911s that is supposed to be coming out this year - the 911 ST. I'm suspecting it will be limited edition. What's the best way to get one of these cars? If anyone has experience or information in this area, it's much appreciated. I have not gone and talked to any dealers yet. I am in the Wash DC metro area if that matters.

Thank you,

Brian

Michael Ferra
356 Fan

Re: Buying limited editions?

#2 Post by Michael Ferra »

Your results may vary, but here’s what I found when attempting to secure a “limited edition” car from a Porsche dealer. Relationships matter—-especially when it comes to the price you will pay. Have you previously purchased a slew of cars from that specific dealer? You may luck out and get a car with little to no ADM. However if you have no established relationship, get the lube out and bend over. ADMs of 50, 100, and even double the MSRP are not uncommon. Seriously.

I was interested in a GT4 RS but had to pony up 100 over MSRP. No thanks. And my neighbor had the itch for a GT3 RS a few years ago and was told to buy 6 pedestrian Porsches (Cayenne, Panomara, etc) before he could even be put on the list. Then pony up 150 over MSRP to secure it. He passed as well.

I’m all about capitalism and am not crying sour grapes. This just happens to be the new reality we are all living. I’ll enjoy my “antiques” until the time comes to move on to the next adventure. And I’ll just continue to track older P-cars (like a factory built Cup Car) or BMW M cars rather than pony up for Stuttgarts latest and greatest. Good luck in your quest.

Brian Davies
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brian Davies »

This is what I was afraid of.

A while back (15 years?), I made a few phone calls about a Ferrari and was basically told that to get on the list, it was just as you said... ADM (huge!) or you've bought so many cars from them already that they have put all their kids through college on your sales haha. And even then, you're probably gonna pay a lot.

Thank you!

-Brian

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

These are problems I’ve not had. I guess I’m lucky in my own way.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Erickson »

Just wait until it shows up with 6k miles on BAT.

George Krompecher
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Krompecher »

Stupid games, that I am not playing.
Not 10% of the people buying these limited edition cars actually drive them.

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#7 Post by Jay Broemmel »

When I was at Werks Reunion back in May I was sitting at a table with some people who were bragging about how many tens of thousands of dollars they had paid over MSRP for their GT3 RSs, and how awesome their Porsche salesman was. No talk of ever actually being on a track. Kind of like the Bro-dozer guys who will never take their monster trucks off road. J

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wes Bender »

It's crazy and it isn't new. And it wasn't just limited to prospective buyers. Back when BMW announced that they were going to put their 2 liter engine in a 1600 and call it a 2002 (what year... maybe '67 or '68?) I tried to order one from a BMW dealer in Grass Valley CA. Factory wouldn't accept his order for one until he bought X number of the larger BMWs. Yeah, he was a smallish dealer, but that just smacks of excess greed.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#9 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

So let me think about this, create a market for a something, let's say tulip bulbs or trading in the South Seas, get people talking, what could possibly go wrong.

V
V. Gillespie

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

Wes I agree. There’s no place for excess greed. Regular amounts are fine.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

Wes Bender wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:52 pm It's crazy and it isn't new. And it wasn't just limited to prospective buyers. Back when BMW announced that they were going to put their 2 liter engine in a 1600 and call it a 2002 (what year... maybe '67 or '68?) I tried to order one from a BMW dealer in Grass Valley CA. Factory wouldn't accept his order for one until he bought X number of the larger BMWs. Yeah, he was a smallish dealer, but that just smacks of excess greed.
It's always been like this, when I interviewed Jan Brundage, son of Hubert Brundage, founder of Brumo's, he talked about how everyone was afraid of Max Hoffman because he controlled all the allocations of cars and if you wanted a Porsche you better take a Facel Vega and whatever else he put on the truck. Chuck Stoddard also expressed his same apprehension in going to NY to ask for cars.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#12 Post by Steve Douglas »

One of our local 911 NorCal group took a picture of the window sticker, Porsche of Redwood City, (Carlsen) MSRP $289,910, Markup $250,000, Total $538,910. Not sure how well that sell, there may be some room to negotiate, what with the 1000s of high tech/highly paid people laid off in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Attachments
IMG_0104.jpeg
IMG_0104.jpeg (33.42 KiB) Viewed 445 times

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm reminded of the the line in the movie "The Bridge Over the River Kwai"..."Madness...MADNESS!"

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Benade »

I can’t read it, did they have a clever term so people wouldn’t know it was markup?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

You have to enlarge the pic but it definitely says mark up.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe