59GT Hard Oil Line Color?

Discussion of 4-Cam Type 547 engines (and all the Fuhrmann racing variants) and cars that powered them.
Chris Frank
356 Fan

59GT Hard Oil Line Color?

#1 Post by Chris Frank »

I have seen period photos of the 59 GTs with Cad bright plated oil lines (Mainly works cars) and SCCA period photos where the lines appear black including images of Jennings floor with some black oil lines. What is correct, or was it car-to-car dependent? Ours are currently silver cadmium.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

Re: 59GT Hard Oil Line Color?

#2 Post by Joris Koning »

Chris, they were black originally
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Joris
i never paid attention to that detail however i worked on a period customer 1960 T5 coupe and the lines were made from aluminum tubing not painted.
j

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joris Koning »

Hi Jacques,

All the original cars I have seen have had black lines. The lines on my cab are original and also black. I have the restoration notes from several GT speedsters Tim was involved with and they also note black. Pictures I have of a very original C2 also show black. Blacking them out fits with the practice of the factory blacking out several parts underneath the car. That said who knows what they might have done so unpainted lines might have crept through.

See you in three weeks,

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Roth »

While I'm not refuting any of the previous comments, I can simply note that my 59GT in unrestored condition had weathered, unpainted hard lines in aluminum. I was very fortunate that the entire oiling system (up to the engine compartment components!) was in place, including the 2 front oil coolers.

Chris Frank
356 Fan

#6 Post by Chris Frank »

Our car has the original hard lines they are cad plates and steel and not aluminum. Dick, the lines on your old car based on the last time I was near it must have been steel since I was able to get a magnet to stick to them, this was in the 1990's. I have only seen steel lines on these cars. I have seen some photos from Bruce Jennings shop with black lines, and factory photos with bright lines.