Engine builder on BAT (and the Maestro)

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Lawless
356 Fan

Re: Engine builder on BAT (and the Maestro)

#16 Post by Bill Lawless »

Sold for $13K
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#17 Post by Jim Liberty »

Let us not forget, Steve Heinrichs Sued the Registry for nonsense reasons. after years of defense and us spending hundreds of thousands in legal defenses fees. He also attempted to sue me, and my wife personally stating "I'll take every sent you have". That miserable non-human being is not in Heaven. ......................Jim.
Jim Liberty

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#18 Post by Jim Clement »

it is the price that shocks me..
I may pay that (okay I likely would not) for an engine that I spec'ed and some one built to that exact using top quality and varified dimensions, tolarences..
but it would appear that you would have to take this apart to check that.. or run it as is and take the chance..

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#19 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Totally agree, Jim.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#20 Post by Alan Hall »

Jim Clement wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:36 pm it is the price that shocks me..
I may pay that (okay I likely would not) for an engine that I spec'ed and some one built to that exact using top quality and varified dimensions, tolarences..
but it would appear that you would have to take this apart to check that.. or run it as is and take the chance..
I suspect some folks put significant value to the unmarked case

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#21 Post by Steve Proctor »

Jan Kolm wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:05 pm Back in the early days of the 356 Talk List, before Miamiair, there was a frequent poster named "Matt Three," who was always stirring the pot. The common belief was that Matt was an alias for Richard Troy, although some believed he was Wayne Krieger. Every so often, Richard would post under his real name in an effort to deflect blame. The late Col Robin Hansen, the site moderator, whom EVERYONE respected, was big on civility and eventually banned both Matt and Richard from the site, and things returned to normal for awhile...
Jan, thanks for the trip down the memory lane of email list / forum members who could not resist the temptation to stir the pot with alter egos. Miami Air was Charles Kourmpates (has gone underground), Matt III was indeed, Richard Troy (three in French is "trois") and some have alleged that Stephen J. Thais (on the list a short time and suspended) was also an alter ego.
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Al Zim
356 Fan

#22 Post by Al Zim »

Each engine that is rebuilt should have a SPECIFICATION SHEET DELIVERED WITH THE ENGINE and stored with a copy of the customers work order. This will probably add time to restore an engine. ZIMZ capacity is 7 or 8 engines per year. 356 vehicles have to be converted to 12 volts alternators since no 6 volt or small 12 volt reliable generator armatures are available and few shops will undertake generator restoration (not to be confused with rebuilding). Starters with the rectangular solenoid can NO LONGER be rebuilt since the solenoid is no longer available.
PLANNNING SERIOUS REPAIRS? GO TO THE SHOP AND SEE HOW THEY DO THIER WORK. I believe that will be money well spent. Plan on pestering them for a day! al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/