Inspection after fire

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Laing
356 Fan

Inspection after fire

#1 Post by Jim Laing »

Hello forum, I am in the process of repairing my 1965 SC after an engine fire that was put out with a extinguisher. The engine is out of the car and during the breakdown process I see that the carb intakes and valve guides show signs of the chemical residue from the extinguisher. This engine is a KD P 821577 that was swapped into the car by the Dealer on 18 June 1968 at 68900 km per the KARDEX.
The transmission is the original and the numbers on the body are also original, so I want to keep it as a numbers matching car. I know that is subjective with engine rebuilds but I am looking to maintain as much originality so if I sell it down the road I can inform people of what that means.
I know that this engine has had work done, there are 912 valve heads and the cylinders are not the originals black anodized ones. The engine does not burn oil/smoke. The compression is good and in May of 2021 I had the Bosch 022 distributor rebuilt my Carb Rescue and it was running great until a fuel line loosened and thus a fire.
I would like to continue a full repaint of the tin and install all new electrical that was impacted by the fire. I will also be replaying the nuts and bolts to refresh the appearance.
So my question is how should I go about inspecting the rest of the engine to determine what internally may have been damaged by the chemicals and or fire. I would like to remove the valves, heads and inspect the pistons and see if they are ok. Do I need to check the bottom end by splitting the case or is an inspection through the oil sump adequate?
I have a 1960 Convertible that I drive so I am not in a rush to do this right.
Jim
I am in San Diego so if I can get some help from a local mentor to ensure I do not screw this up, I would be very appreciated.
Jim
Attachments
89A1FB65-1C80-4EBF-9158-F3B7291FE96D.jpeg

Jeffrey Gamble
356 Fan

Re: Inspection after fire

#2 Post by Jeffrey Gamble »

crate it up and send to Texan Al Zim.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

call me 619 247 7495
j
Hi Jeff you are sadistic to send him to Al.
j

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

Take it down to National City and have Jacques look at it. The ammonia in the extinguisher agent is corrosive but it is not hard to clean up. If you got the fire quickly you are probably OK other than a Tin Repaint.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Al Zim
356 Fan

#5 Post by Al Zim »

Two years ago one of our members had a fire in the engine while on an event in East Texas. At the start it looked like an easy fix! Fortunately he had Hagerty insurance and their adjuster realized that the damage extended deep into the engine. This was an 8 month repair because the case needed to be line bored and a plethora of other new parts were needed. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#6 Post by Mark Roth »

Interesting that a legitimate “matching” engine has 912 heads. But that’s another topic.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Jim Laing
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Laing »

I brought the engine to Jacque’s shop and we discussed the engine. I do not have a good detailed history of the car, other than the KARDEX, but from talking to Jacque he pointed out that Porsche probably took a case from the stock on hand in 1968 which was during the 912 era. The block is stamped 616/16 to correspond with an SC, not 616/36 which would have been a 912. We will be removing the heads and pistons to review the internals and discuss the next steps to rebuilding this engine. I want to retain the KD engine and be able to have a record of what the makeup of this engine is so that I have a truthful history of this “numbers matching” car that I have. The man who sold it to me (a long time registry member) provided me with the information he had at the time and I will do the same if I ever decide to pass this on.
Meanwhile I will source other parts that need replacement as I bring her back to life.
Jim