Best pressure plate for 356A

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: Best pressure plate for 356A

#16 Post by Al Zim »

We raced in the 60's with a VW 6 spring pressure plate and a solid no spring clutch disc because we did not make horsepower and these parts were cheap. I was in college then. Once the clutch is connect (released) it is not going to slip unless you have lots of horsepower. I believe that tires now are sticker than the stuff of 60 years ago. BUT ***there is no need to shock load the transmission when you are accelerating. Breaking transmission stuff is not a cheap fix.
MORE TO FOLLOW BELOW ON SETTING THE FREE PLAY OF THE CLUTCH Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Al Zim
356 Fan

#17 Post by Al Zim »

THIS IS ONLY FOR CARS WITH THE 519/644 TRANSMISSION RELEASE LEVER THAT HAS A HOLE IN IT.
You can adjust the free play of the throw out bearing a small amount by adjusting the Bowden tube. Find a 17 (11/16) and a 19 (3/4) inch wrench and shorten them to about 5 inches from the inside of the open end to the end of the arm. Grind the end of the arms so they do not scratch you. Squirt Kroil on the threads (You should always have this handy) let it sit for a few hours and the nut will move easily.
Use of the VW adjuster wing nut. THE ENGINE MUST BE OUT OF THE CAR.
Remove the lock nut and beveled nut.
You have purchased a VW clutch adjusting wing nut for an Air Cooled VW
Drill and tap the wing nut for 8 by 1.25 threads. (it is possible that someone else has changed the clutch cable so you will have to drill an tap it for the threads on the cable.
Grind a notch (or file) a notch in the part of the release arm that is on the bottom. Make it so you can catch your fingernail.
Install the wing nut and you are ready to go. You can easily adjust the clutch from the underside of the car or with the left wheel removed.
IT IS AGAINST THE FORUM RULES FOR ZIMZ TO ADVERTISE AND SELL YOU THIS PART. If you call us we can tell you who to call that can sell this part to you.
Zim.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Dean Davies
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dean Davies »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:21 am Dean, I referred only to the disc hub which is available with or without springs. Either of those will mate with any pressure plate that doesn’t interfere with the hub.
Regardless of the disc the throw out bearing and pressure plate still must be paired in factory recommended combinations.
Thanks Martin for the clarification. cheers Dean

Dean Davies
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dean Davies »

David Jones wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:30 am Yes, the one with the collar which is removable if one wished to use it with just the fingers.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Dean Davies
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dean Davies »

David Jones wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:02 am Both my A cars have the diaphragm type pressure plate. My A coupe with 1720 cc big bore and Solex carbs has around 90 hp and the180 mm clutch.
Cheers. That make me feel a little more secure.

Dean Davies
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dean Davies »

Alan Hall wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:39 pm Since VW used 180mm pressure plate with collar for years, you might try VW part places. Current 180mm diaphragm clutches, with collar, are, I think, fairly readily available. For instance CIP-1 shows one for around $69. their p/n VWC-211-141-025-D. Also the SACHS 180mm diaphragm pressure plate w/collar that was made in Brazil used to be readily available but I don't know current availability.
Thanks Allan, yes, I've seen the Sachs SC182, I was just concerned as it was recommended for years 50-55

Dean Davies
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dean Davies »

Al Zim wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:50 pm THIS IS ONLY FOR CARS WITH THE 519/644 TRANSMISSION RELEASE LEVER THAT HAS A HOLE IN IT.
You can adjust the free play of the throw out bearing a small amount by adjusting the Bowden tube. Find a 17 (11/16) and a 19 (3/4) inch wrench and shorten them to about 5 inches from the inside of the open end to the end of the arm. Grind the end of the arms so they do not scratch you. Squirt Kroil on the threads (You should always have this handy) let it sit for a few hours and the nut will move easily.
Use of the VW adjuster wing nut. THE ENGINE MUST BE OUT OF THE CAR.
Remove the lock nut and beveled nut.
You have purchased a VW clutch adjusting wing nut for an Air Cooled VW
Drill and tap the wing nut for 8 by 1.25 threads. (it is possible that someone else has changed the clutch cable so you will have to drill an tap it for the threads on the cable.
Grind a notch (or file) a notch in the part of the release arm that is on the bottom. Make it so you can catch your fingernail.
Install the wing nut and you are ready to go. You can easily adjust the clutch from the underside of the car or with the left wheel removed.
IT IS AGAINST THE FORUM RULES FOR ZIMZ TO ADVERTISE AND SELL YOU THIS PART. If you call us we can tell you who to call that can sell this part to you.
Zim.
Thanks Mr Zim, I have some memory of this from somewhere before, perhaps you have posted that info somewhere else. In fact, I have previously adjusted the Bowden tube to assist with the clutch shudder in reverse. It did improve it, however not completely until I did the most recent adjustment on the pressure plate.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#23 Post by Al Zim »

You are probably correct that I have posted this at some other time. I will see if I can find a knowledgeable computer person to organize my registry post and put them on our computer. al
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Dean Davies
356 Fan

#24 Post by Dean Davies »

Al Zim wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:27 am You are probably correct that I have posted this at some other time. I will see if I can find a knowledgeable computer person to organize my registry post and put them on our computer. al
All good. I really like reminders of good information Cheers

Al Zim
356 Fan

#25 Post by Al Zim »

There are only 2 ROLLER BEARING throw out bearings available. The VW/originally (a bus and the 356) is a roller bearing this fits on the transmission that does not have the guide tube over the input shaft only on 1959 and earlier. With the introduction of the T-5 September 1959 (as a 1960 model) the guided main shaft is on all subsequent swing axle transmissions. 901-116-081.01 (?) The release arm that holds the throw out bearing vertically holds the bearing in "U" shaped openings in the arm. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#26 Post by Martin Benade »

Actually all the throw out bearings are ball, not roller. And for the later ones with a guide tube, there are two versions, as well as the 901 one which can be made to fit.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna