original bolt finish

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Chris Cullin
356 Fan

Re: original bolt finish

#31 Post by Chris Cullin »

Thanks Tom. I have found the parts manuals to be very complete in defining the finish & specs of nuts and bolts, atleast for the chassis. The challenge is you have to start with the 356C supplement and go back through every version of the parts manuals until it is defined. This is because the supplement parts manuals are delta's from the previous version.

I have gone through all the manuals for components I am working on, and I have captured in
https://356.miplace.com/

Over the weekend I intend to add bolt head markings and any specifics not captured in the DIN specs.
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#32 Post by Spencer Harris »

Very nice work, Chris.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Chris Cullin
356 Fan

#33 Post by Chris Cullin »

thanks @Spencer
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#34 Post by Mark Roth »

Chris,
Please post your final pdf so others can review it. After review, I can post it in the Technical Library in the website.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#35 Post by Spencer Harris »

This task can make you crazy after a while! The later B & C manuals tend to list quite a bit more N&B details, but (as you've found) even the latest 356C supplement doesn't list details for the Upper Shock Bolt p/n 644.41.511. This piece is not detailed in the '53, 55, or 57 parts manuals or the corresponding workshop manuals that I've ever found.

Greg Bryan published a listing of N&B from his '64 C some time ago, and lists this piece as:
Greg 64 Shock Bolt.JPG
You might consider adding this information in the "Note" row for item 52B in your table.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#36 Post by Jim Wayman »

Spencer

Is it possible that they did not list the specifics of the shock bolt because it was not a "standard" DIN part? My recollection is that this bolt has a shank larger than the threaded end, so you might call it a stepped bolt.
Jim Wayman

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#37 Post by Spencer Harris »

Jim,
You're correct, it is a stepped bolt, and the non-standard characteristic is likely the reason for no specs being listed in any of the VW or Porsche parts manuals. (The '50-'59 PET katalog lists the part as "screw, 41.65.02" which may correspond to something, while the later '60-'65 PET simply lists the part as "screw") I'm just surprised that some description other than "Bolt for shock absorber fastening, top" wasn't listed in the factory manuals: overall length, thread spec, etc. None of the parts dealers list any specs that I'm aware of.
Front Shock Bolt.JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#38 Post by Martin Benade »

For what it’s worth I’m pretty sure that VW used a regular bolt there.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#39 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Martin Benade wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:07 pm For what it’s worth I’m pretty sure that VW used a regular bolt there.
Not too sure about that. The design of the bolt ensures that shear loads are resisted by the larger, unthreaded part, which fits into the receptacle. I would think VW had the same concerns.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#40 Post by David Jones »

That bolt is identical to the one used on VW link pin suspensions until close to the cessation of link pin suspension use when a regular bolt was used.
I came across very few with the regular bolt when working on Formula Vee race cars
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#41 Post by Spencer Harris »

OK, Chris, your thread has been officially hijacked. Please stick with it though as your format and layout are superb.

Wolfsburg West shows the stepped bolts for Beetles through 1962, and what looks like straight bolts from '63 to '65. VW parts manuals are not very definitive, but the '52, '57, and '60 manuals list a "bolt, shock absorber upper, oversize". The '52 manual describes it as M12x1.5 - clearly too large for the female threads on the Porsche bulkhead.
wolfsburg thru 62.JPG
wolfsburg 63-65.JPG
I found this old shock bolt in my N&B bin. I've no idea what year it's from, but most likely A or pre-A.
Head marked RASCHF 10k
Main body 11.9mm OD x 45.2mm L
Step 5.3mm L
Threads M10x1.5 x 14.8mm L
O/A 65.3mm L
ATF 17mm
Relief groove ~2mm L
RASCHF 10K (Large).JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Chris Cullin
356 Fan

#42 Post by Chris Cullin »

all relevant discussion. based on this discussion I have updated the website to include a pic of each nut & bolt and a link to a DIN reference page (if anyone has better references than this let me know). At the moment it only includes pictures of DIN standard nuts and bolts.

I will eventually add information on the original finishes (e.g. Bostik, etc.)

I also intend to add a page on Volkswagen parts that can be used. I am redoing the king pins and rear torsion arms at the moment and VW parts are much easier to source in Australia.

https://356.miplace.com.

(if it doesn't show the pics it will be because your browser has cached the website. Should correct after some time or you can try in private mode or clear the cache)
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#43 Post by Greg Bryan »

This is a great resource, Chris. Thanks for taking the considerable effort to put it together.
Greg Bryan

Chris Cullin
356 Fan

#44 Post by Chris Cullin »

I have now added some replacement parts to the website.
https://356.miplace.com

I can name this website any name in the formate of xxxxx.github.io and its actual address is currently https://porsche356bc.github.io
I'll probably change this to porsche356c.github.io at some point.

@Mark Roth. I don't have a pdf of the data at this stage, but the source data is all in excel format and available on GitHub for the tech-savvy. I have attached a copy of the main data set for reference.

The website will slowly be added to but can be included in the technical library at any stage.
Attachments
partslist.xlsx
(26.03 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#45 Post by Michael Branning »

Chris, thanks for compiling the information! I tried to access the site with my ipad (current OS) and it doesn’t work well. You may wish to check this.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster