Restoration Question for my 1963, 356-SC

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Restoration Question for my 1963, 356-SC

#16 Post by Wes Bender »

Yes Vic. Share with us what color carpet Monte should install.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#17 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Al Zim wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:17 pm As a for instance let take the front end of a 356 just the king pin carrier with the king pin in place. We recently received a set of running gear to evaluate.
WE have all the Porsche and VW tools that are necessary and shown in the 356B/C shop manual. Disassembly revealed that this well known shop did not have a lathe to properly set the spacing on the king pin. The factory provides a white Plastic bushing which IMMEDIATELY starts to wear out. As the bushing deteriorates it deteriorates faster. The technician stacked a bunch of link pin shims around the king pin but there was still space for movement. It starts wearing out immediately. With machinist measuring tools we were able to ascertain that the surfaces where the link pin shims attach to their king pin holding device were worn and the camber of the front end is not correct. We used the vertical mill and tooling we developed to rectify this situation and to add a little more camber to the front suspension. Many enthusiasts state that the 356 suspension does not wear out. If not why did the factory provide complicated measuring devices. NEVER HAVE I ENCOUNTERED ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THEIR FRONT END FEBUILT AND HAD THE TORSION BARS SWABBED CLEAN. NOR HAVE I EVER ENCOUNTERED ANYONE THAT IS KNOWLEDGABLE ON RESTORING THE BEARING RACES FOR THE TRAILING ARMS. NOR HAVE I EVER ENCOUNTERED ANYONE WHO HAS MADE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO PURCHASE ALL THE 356 FRONT END PARTS THAT ARE AVAILABLE.
Conclusion: Yes it is expensive for us to do your work. Knowledge is expensive.
As a note to you Vic Skirmants: Yes I spin at 78 RPM! You have years of experience with 356 cars and building nearly 1000 transmissions. Share your knowledge. I spent all day doing that. Zim
I happily share my knowledge; I do not beat anybody over the head with an infomercial in 99% of my posts. Now knock it off before I demand that Mark Roth pauses you for six months!

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#18 Post by Mark Roth »

Al,
The poster asked about carpeting. You turned this topic into a commercial for your shop. One more time and then you’re suspended.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Monte Turner
356 Fan

#19 Post by Monte Turner »

Hi Al Zim,

Now you got me scared! What are you suggesting? I'm in northern California, want me to take my front end off and send it to you, or at least parts of it? I have a ZIMS account; can you send me a parts list of the frontend for this car of the items that will for sure need replacement?

Thx -Monte

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

Monte:

I suggest you contact Al directly.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#21 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Mark Roth wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:20 pm Al,
The poster asked about carpeting. You turned this topic into a commercial for your shop. One more time and then you’re suspended.
Thank you, Mark.

George Krompecher
356 Fan

#22 Post by George Krompecher »

Monte,
Use common sense. Ask around.
Some here will have you spend your life savings, which might be.... exaggerated depending on the use you have for your car.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#23 Post by Al Zim »

Monte: lots of people send us parts to be rebuilt. You are asking me to tell you what you need! You probably do not have the measuring tools to see what is not worn out. I cannot tell you how to fix your front end! It is a violation of advertising in the talk. Be extremely careful when you remove the king pin so you do not distort the carrier.
You may send us all your parts. (not the torsion bars, please) ZIMZ will measure them and tell you what we have found. Everything will be returned to you. We cannot ship for free. Al Zim 817-267-4451
Last edited by Al Zim on Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:41 am
Al Zim wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:17 pm As a for instance let take the front end of a 356 just the king pin carrier with the king pin in place. We recently received a set of running gear to evaluate.
WE have all the Porsche and VW tools that are necessary and shown in the 356B/C shop manual. Disassembly revealed that this well known shop did not have a lathe to properly set the spacing on the king pin. The factory provides a white Plastic bushing which IMMEDIATELY starts to wear out. As the bushing deteriorates it deteriorates faster. The technician stacked a bunch of link pin shims around the king pin but there was still space for movement. It starts wearing out immediately. With machinist measuring tools we were able to ascertain that the surfaces where the link pin shims attach to their king pin holding device were worn and the camber of the front end is not correct. We used the vertical mill and tooling we developed to rectify this situation and to add a little more camber to the front suspension. Many enthusiasts state that the 356 suspension does not wear out. If not why did the factory provide complicated measuring devices. NEVER HAVE I ENCOUNTERED ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THEIR FRONT END FEBUILT AND HAD THE TORSION BARS SWABBED CLEAN. NOR HAVE I EVER ENCOUNTERED ANYONE THAT IS KNOWLEDGABLE ON RESTORING THE BEARING RACES FOR THE TRAILING ARMS. NOR HAVE I EVER ENCOUNTERED ANYONE WHO HAS MADE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO PURCHASE ALL THE 356 FRONT END PARTS THAT ARE AVAILABLE.
Conclusion: Yes it is expensive for us to do your work. Knowledge is expensive.
As a note to you Vic Skirmants: Yes I spin at 78 RPM! You have years of experience with 356 cars and building nearly 1000 transmissions. Share your knowledge. I spent all day doing that. Zim
I happily share my knowledge; I do not beat anybody over the head with an infomercial in 99% of my posts. Now knock it off before I demand that Mark Roth pauses you for six months!
Vic also always picks up the phone if you have a question, even a stupid one, ask me how I know...
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#25 Post by Jim Nelson »

I have encountered a car that has had its front end rebuilt and had the torsion bars removed, swabbed clean, checked for cracks, reinstalled and regreased. We did that on the '60 Cab we restored, and also on a factory orange '59, a '64 Bali Blue Cab, and upcoming on a Smyrna Green Cab. Not as uncommon as you might think, if you want the car to work the way the factory wanted it.
And Vic, +1…

Monte Turner
356 Fan

#26 Post by Monte Turner »

All good comments, THx - I selected the Charcoal Black square weave from Germany.