Glove Box Glycerin Bottle / Label Original vs Repro

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Re: Glove Box Glycerin Bottle / Label Original vs Repro

#16 Post by Steve Douglas »

Peter, I didn't know Tim Goodrich did some booklet reproductions too. The Mike Keady copies and Carl Bauer/Orange Bar were the only ones I have seen. There were a few bottles that came from Germany that held ink for graph chart recorders, and they all had a red or blue tint to the plastic. Same bottles as what Porsche supplied, just different use.
Has anybody looked at the owner's manuals for an updated section on the glycerin for door locks. Thinking that the late B and C along with 912-911 may have added the instructions to the manuals and dropped the booklet.

Peter Stuyck
356 Fan

#17 Post by Peter Stuyck »

Neil Goldberg has retired from restoring cars. I'm helping him off-load contents of his shop. These were among "glovebox" stuff. I'll get to locks shortly. In a similar vein, there's a 355-mile 280Z on Bring A Trailer. For 44 years, something the size of a car sat around inside a building. It does happen.
Peter Stuyck

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#18 Post by Joris Koning »

Steve Douglas wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:27 am Peter, I didn't know Tim Goodrich did some booklet reproductions too.
Steve, Tim did these when he restored the notorious aquamarine '58 speedster for Richard Price, judged by many at that time, and perhaps even today as the best 356 restoration ever done. I have all of Tim's restoration notes on that car and have not seen anything like it. The level off detail is extreme. Anyway, he had the booklets done among other artwork at that time and gave/sold some to friends and acquaintances. That's probably how these ended up with Neil.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#19 Post by Steve Douglas »

Joris, I remember the Speedster that Tim did, it was amazing, as were most of his cars, most were far better than when new. He was an artist and has been missed from the 356 community. Still would like to see someone who had a booklet in their B or C after 1962 when delivered.

Lockie McKinnon
356 Fan

#20 Post by Lockie McKinnon »

:D Well done on the auction!
Lockie

Peter Stuyck
356 Fan

#21 Post by Peter Stuyck »

Thanks, Lockie. To wrap this up, here are the eBay auction results:
Booklet #1, appears genuine $505.00
#2 repro? $56.00
#3 repro? $34.56
#4 repro? $89.88
Glycerin bottle, appears genuine $676.00
And thanks to everyone who contributed info, spread the word, bid, and bought.
Peter
Peter Stuyck

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#22 Post by Steve Douglas »

I guess I should have kept a few of the bottles that i sold for $25-40 back in the 80-90s. I had like 11 or 12 at that time.

Thomas Tuccillo
356 Fan

#23 Post by Thomas Tuccillo »

carl bauer is offering a new run at just $60. better than the advertising i've seen at anywhere from $750 to $500. the bauer run will do the job.

Andrew Opicka
356 Fan

#24 Post by Andrew Opicka »

Are reproductions still available?

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#25 Post by Steve Douglas »

The last place I saw offering them was Aase. These "glovebox sets" were made by Carl of Orange Bar Products. In reality the little books were only printed in 4-59 and 11-59, 5,000 each, so somewhere in 61-62 production would have used up those, if every car got one. The bottles were made with three color caps black, red, and maroon, and were included in many cars into the early 911/912 series. Fues packs varied as well, paper boxed ones in two configurations/colors, (lettering in orange for earlier, black for the 61-64) and the Plastic Pudenz (no maroon cover) started in late 64. To the purist the variation might matter.

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#26 Post by Bob Frederking »

When I took delivery of my 1965 C Cabriolet at the factory on April 23, 1965 the gentleman delivering the car gave me two small bottles of glycerin. He said they were for lubricating the rubber around the windows. He didn't mention anything about lock de-icing. I stored them in the glove box, and still have one of the bottles.
Bob Frederking

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#27 Post by Steve Douglas »

Bob, back in the 50-60s Porsche rubber cracked and deteriorated fairly quickly. In early issues of Porsche Panorama and "Up-Fixin Der Porsche", Glycerin and SilGlide was mentioned as a rubber preservative.
If you look at the Maintenance Instructions For Porsche Bodies booklet you will see they recommend using Glycerin and Talcum Powder.
I have never figured out when the little bottles first showed up. The Booklets that was attached were printed in 1959. I couldn't find any mention of glycerin being used for door locks until the early B owners manual. Being that the bottles of Glycerin was something more old weather locations, to keep the locks from freezing, few US dealers even mentioned it. I have never searched a late C owners manual to see if there was section on using glycerin in the locks. The bottles continued into the later 60's 911/912s, so there must be mention of their use.
IMG_3586.jpeg
IMG_3587.jpeg

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#28 Post by Bob Frederking »

Thanks Steve,
I went back and checked my 356 C Driver's Manual, it's dated June 1964 and for North American delivery cars (miles, pounds and U.S. gallons).
Here is what it says on pages 66 and 67:

Rubber Weather Strips

Rubber weather stripping is used around the windows and doors of the car. These parts may become dry and stiff with age. To prevent this from happening and to keep the rubber pliable during the cold season, glycerine can be applied to these surfaces. Note: Glycerine will damage the car finish if it comes in contact with the paint.

Materials for Coachwork Care

Material Remarks
Rubber care Glycerine, or talc powder Available in drugstores

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#29 Post by Steve Douglas »

Bob does you manual show anything about using Glycerin to keep the door locks from freezing? The early Bs do, just brief paragraph. Being the little booklets were printed in 1959, I doubt that by 1965 there were any left to put into glove boxes. There was a rumor of one printed with a 911 on the cover and 65 or 66 date, but none has ever surfaced

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#30 Post by Bob Frederking »

Steve, I haven't reread the manual recently and don't remember anything about glycerine for lock de-icing. There was the manual, service booklet, tire pressure gauge, a couple maps, the International Vehicle Registration Booklet, 2 bottles of glycerine, but nothing about using it for locks. It was late April in Stuttgart and I don't think anyone was thinking about winter. I should look through and document everything I still have from the time I picked the car up.