Upholstery installation

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Serge Couture
356 Fan

Upholstery installation

#1 Post by Serge Couture »

Hi Forum Members
I am in the process of a full DIY restoration on my 356C 1964 (VIN 130415, listed in the Registry). Sheet metal is 99% done with major panel replacements including the rear inner fenders. I am testing all bolt on items to make sure all fits before proceeding to body finishing and prep to paint. I have a hard time to figure out how the rear upholstery is installed, mainly the items covering the inner rear fender panels The "Garnish Rail Cover" doesn`t seem to fit well. Could a member suggest a video that would help be?
Thanks in advance, I will certainly need some of your help in years to come :-)
Regards
Serge

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Upholstery installation

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Welcome, Serge:

Perhaps Paul Hatfield's website, enginesinback, has some answers to your question.

All the best,

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Serge Couture
356 Fan

#3 Post by Serge Couture »

Thanks a lot Mike,
I went to your suggested site and the pictures will certainly help to figure out how it fits together.
Thanks again
Serge

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

As always, glad to be of help.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Of interest to you concerning the fit of the rear garnish rail: The hook on the rear end of it tucks behind the rear firewall interior panel and the foreward end is held in place by a screw that is under the door seal on the B pillar. The hook at the rear will not install correctly unless you have the correct amount of padding behind the rear panel. The rear sides under the pop out windows should be easier if you review my friend Bill Waites comments and pictures here: viewtopic.php?p=305911&hilit=interior#p305911
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Serge Couture
356 Fan

#6 Post by Serge Couture »

Thanks a lot Doug!
When I bought the car, it was already stripped. The previous owner did a good job to save and identify the parts but I did not find these clips. With the photos, I will be able to make some or find some similar. There are two clips per side panel isn't it?
Along the B pillar, how is the material of the side panel held in place? Is it glued on the back of the door rubber seal gully? Glued on the back of the door rubber seal gully with some of the material wrapped inside the gully and held in place by the rubber seal?
This is great help to me and very much appreciated
Regards
Serge

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Serge My answers will not be "the final word" as far as how the factory did it but how I did it when I restored mine. MIne is also a C and was purchased with a lot of smaller parts missing as it had been at the body shop when the owner died. I had to add padding on the curve from the back of the door to the flatter area of the side to get things looking correct to my eye. I wasn't entirely blind as it was my 3rd 356 which I purchased to do my "once in a lifetime Retirement project restoration." Yes the material goes around the rubber seal channel, much the same as front carpet panel edging and even the dash top material. The rear firewall had 1/2 inch thick Jute under the rear firewall interior piece. viewtopic.php?p=261634&hilit=rear+inter ... el#p261634 PS I used an interior "kit" from Autos International.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Serge Couture
356 Fan

#8 Post by Serge Couture »

Thanks a lot Doug!
Very helpful
Regards
Serge