WOW, matching, blank 1960 case & 3rd piece - EXCEPT...

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Larry Brooks
356 Fan

WOW, matching, blank 1960 case & 3rd piece - EXCEPT...

#1 Post by Larry Brooks »

I just picked up another small stash of parts. I was happy see an un-numbered blank 3rd piece in the pile and even happier when I found the matching two case halves that were also un-numbered. They all had the same three digit case matching numbers though. Cool, a factory replacement case! I found the casting dates on the case halves and they were late 59, so likely a 1960. Then I turned the case over and saw one of the biggest welds I have ever seen on a 356 case. It was on the bottom near the back so apparently it had been smashed into something solid rather than the dramatic rod through the case scenario that I've seen a few times.

It had been rebuilt and run for a while after the repair so the weld must have been OK mechanically. But it is ugly. I hate to break up a working matched case, but doubt someone would want to but it in a decent car - blank case or not. I think the smart money would be to sell the third piece separately, but...

Thoughts or opinions?
Attachments
IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1696.jpg
IMG_1697.jpg
IMG_1700.jpg
IMG_1701.jpg
IMG_1702.jpg

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: WOW, matching, blank 1960 case & 3rd piece - EXCEPT...

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Larry

You can put that weld in a Bridgeport and make it look presentable. A good afternoon project.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Or a worse idea, I could make it fairly presentable with an air powered 3” cutoff wheel and a die grinder.
What model car was it in? That would be the front in my 356 :)
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by Larry Brooks »

John Brooks wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:36 pm Larry

You can put that weld in a Bridgeport and make it look presentable. A good afternoon project.
Hello John,

I wondered about that being a possibility. Couple of problems for me though: 1.) I don't have a Bridgeport 2.) If I did have one I doubt this would be a good project to learn how to use it on.

And yes, this is at the front of the engine when it's in the car. But my first thought is the end with the fan belts the front and the end with the flywheel the back, regardless of how it is mounted in a car. Too many years with cars that were oriented that way. ;)

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#5 Post by Greg Bryan »

I've got a 912 case with a crack that goes across the same area on both sides - otherwise it's a good case. It would probably be OK if welded, especially if a good welder heated the case and laid a clean bead on the cracks. But even if it was very serviceable, no one would want to buy it. Some day when cases are scarce, it may be worth doing, but I still have 4 good cases on the shelf - probably a lifetime supply - that I bought back when they were relatively cheap about a dozen or more years ago.
Greg Bryan

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

Both of you with welded cases should plan on having the case line bored. That kind of hit would cause problems. Now for the downside! Ollies is months behind!!! I would assemble the cases using the proper torque on the through bolts and 3rd piece. Pay someone who has the tools to measures it as best they can and compare your measurement to the factory. This should give you a good clue on how to spend your money. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/