Solex Air Filters

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Solex Air Filters

#16 Post by Adam Wright »

Al Zim wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:53 am A story behind the glasses: They were given to me by Mike Robbins they are still in a file cabinet in the storage building. He was an excellent technician and served the Registry and PCA on official capacity. Mike is the only one with more than one picture on my bulletin board. He was an excellent friend! Al Zim
If I remember correctly they are stored in his collapsable water bucket. Oh, the fun that can be had in Al Zim's attic!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#17 Post by John Clarke »

No One knows I have ram stacks inside our Alloy Air Filters on 40 DRLA Dellortos on the 912 Engine But feel they smooth out the flow down onto the Spray Bars fitted.
Bit concerned ref the recent posts on K&N Carb Fires ! Since fitting the 86mm Shasta Barrels and Pistons we have now acquired a flat spot at about 3500 rpm when we go back on the gas 'Feel the Fear' ref a carb fire !
Cheers Jay

Max Handley
356 Fan

#18 Post by Max Handley »

Steve proctor here’s what I’ve used on my Solexes. The short velocity stacks on my late split shaft Solexes. Not into what “ looks cool “but these do provide a slight increase in performance, oh and they sound cool. The screens provide fairly good filtration and are very non restrictive, can’t really tell their on.
EE8A4F2E-DE27-4E78-A174-ED47E07D706F.jpeg
5CDBC24A-DE19-45B1-AC9D-EE944BD7D80A.jpeg
205AEBC6-2526-446F-BA5F-0E8B0EC44F65.jpeg
 Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#19 Post by Harlan Halsey »

There are velocity stacks which fit within stock height air cleaners (available from Weber sources). These do not contribute appreciable power. However, there are taller stacks which are indispensable to an SCCA racing engine. These are run without any air filter.
In my opinion running on the street without rock filters is unwise. (Carreras have short velocity stacks which finish off the top of the carburetors but may not actually contribute much to power. I put a Piper X filter over these when on the street.)