Weird door latch issue; '57A coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Pete Indelicato
356 Fan
Tag: 356 owner

Re: Weird door latch issue; '57A coupe

#16 Post by Pete Indelicato »

thanks, I will try replacing the spring.
1963 T6 couple #212891, motor #*KD*P*730464

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#17 Post by Wayne Arny »

As for the correct door striker plate for the 356A pre-T2, I finally read far enough into the descriptions in the Stoddard on-line catalog! For coupes, the Type 1 is for chassis numbers 5002-11360; Type 2 for numbers 11361-53288; and Type 3 for numbers 53289-101692. My chassis number is 100461! 231 from the end of the T-1 production! Proper chassis numbers for Cabs & Speedsters are also listed!

Now to get the old ones off!

As for that, any thoughts out there? As per above, mine have the incorrect phillips-head, and not the straight-slot, machine screws. I've put a bunch of penetrating oil on both sides, and thanks to the hateful phillips-head screws only three on one side even move. And most of them have been butchered a bit over the years. I'll let them sit a while, but I'm not optimistic.

If I do need to drill them out, any thoughts/experiences on that? Or on any other techniques?

Thanks!

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#18 Post by Martin Benade »

Drilling should be pretty easy, I’d use a 5/16” bit at medium speed, a bit of oil helps. Most people dull their drills by not pushing hard enough, once it’s started through the Phillips slots you should push quite hard so the drill motor slows down.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#19 Post by Wes Bender »

If you can, get an impact type screwdriver. You apply twist while striking the end with a hammer. If you don't mind possibly damaging a good screwdriver, you can try it with one. Get the largest Phillips head that will fit. Letting the penetrating fluid work a while should help.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#20 Post by Martin Benade »

Unfortunately the impact driver needs a firm backing to work well, if the screws are stuck much at all the sheet metal door jamb will get deformed instead of the screw loosening.
That tool is excellent for brake rotor screws on a Honda.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#21 Post by Wes Bender »

Use it with a little finesse...
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#22 Post by Wayne Arny »

Got it all! Thanks! I'll try today.

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#23 Post by Wayne Arny »

Finally had a chance to work on the latch for a short bit, and I got the passenger side off! With a large phillips head screw driver, and large vise grips, I was able to get three of the machine screws out. I used a 3/8 drill bit by error (not having re-read Martin's note above), but it worked fine. Went in at medium speed, with oil, and eventually the heads of the screws of the two remaining came off. Then carefully pried the old latch off of the "dead" screw shafts, and it came off, and the backing plate fell to the garage floor! Would the smaller 5/16 have been better, and should I use that for the left side?

Since this is the "bad" side latch, I'll replace it first before I redo the left side. Any thoughts on cleaning this side? My thoughts were to clean it off well, front and back, and then smooth out the area where the latch was and the new one will go. After installing and adjusting to make sure it works properly, I will touch up the paint around it. What am I missing? And thanks in advance! Wayne
Attachments
IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

The 3/8 drill is fine unless you are trying to save the striker. I’d clean the backside to be smooth and do very little to the front so you won’t need much Wite-Out
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#25 Post by Wayne Arny »

Thanks! Moving on!

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#26 Post by Harlan Halsey »

You have two problems: the latch and the receiver adjustment. You check the latch function simply by moving, closing toggle by hand and opening it with the pushbutton. People above have suggestions for fixing the function.
Then adjust the receiver vertically so that the fixed top of the latch just clears. Then in and out so the door closes to the proper position. Then maybe a little final adjustment. To do this the nut late must slide freely on the backside, so that area must be cleaned first. A power screwdriver helps with the five screws.

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#27 Post by Wayne Arny »

I successfully removed the latch receiver, cleaned up the area, and today did a test install of the new parts. And the problem is not fixed, but I have a good idea of what is wrong, and a thought on fixing it permanently. Here goes.

In picture 1 you will see the new receiver as mounted as "high" in the door jamb as the holes will allow. You will note a "scrape" just above the top of the "jaw" and directly below the top left mach. screw head. In picture 2 for reference is the top of the latch on the door jamb. I have looked closely as I close the door, and the top of the latch part on the door is hitting above the opening on the receiver. As you can see in pictures 3, 4 & 5 of the old receiver I removed, that same top part has been chewed away by all of the door closings.

I bought this car locally about 30 years ago from someone who had had it for years in a garage. They hardly drove it, if ever, and I have no idea who owned it before that. I got it running, rebuilt the engine, and had Eric Will rebuild the transmission. We lived with the door latch and just thought of it as a peculiarity of this car. If you closed the door "smartly," it latched just fine. If it didn't, you pulled it open, hit the button, and tried again. During this complete renovation, it needs to work right.

Therefore, I assume I need to raise the receiver higher for the latch to work properly. (I don't think I want to fiddle with the latch in the door.) To that end, I loosened all the mach. screws and raised it as high as possible. It's still hitting. It looks like it's missing by no more than 1/8".

My thought for a solution is to take a good rat tail file and slowly elongate the existing receiver holes upwards to be able to mount the receiver high enough for the top of the latch to slip into the receiver without hitting the top of the "jaw."

Would you please confirm my thoughts, add any of your own, and let me know if I'm headed in the right direction, and it not, which way next?

Thanks! Wayne
Attachments
Pic #1
Pic #1
Pic #2
Pic #2
Pic #3
Pic #3
Pic #4
Pic #4
Pic #5
Pic #5

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#28 Post by Martin Benade »

Did you try the striker alone on the door latch to verify that the latch opening is large enough? That used to be a problem with the repros. If it isn’t then filing the holes a bit is totally fine. Hopefully it doesn’t need to go far.
On my T6 I put a pair of NOS door jambs on, and for unknown reasons I had to move one pocket up about 1/4 inch to get the striker aligned with the latch.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#29 Post by Wayne Arny »

Good idea. I will. Thanks!

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#30 Post by Harlan Halsey »

It looks to me that you have quite a bit of vertical misalignment. You don't have much vertical room in the sheet metal "pocket" where the latch mounts. It looks like the other types of T1 latch in the Stoddard catalog may have more room at the top. Maybe you have the wrong type. Or, you might be able to reposition the whole door a bit lower. It depends on the door fit.