Head Light relays still relevant 356A T2 6 volt.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

Head Light relays still relevant 356A T2 6 volt.

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi all,
My speedster had H4 headlight bulbs and these high and low beam relays forever.
Last year I switched over to LED headlight, tail light and turn signal bulbs.
Would like to remove these old relays if possible. Are they still necessary unsure as I am not an auto electrician.
Possible to remove and terminate wires without any drama?
Had had arcing and sparks on occasion do not want that again. Placed right behind 6 volt Optima, had been up on the front of shelf in front of gas tank before.
Thank you,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_0465 (1).JPG

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Head Light relays still relevant 356A T2 6 volt.

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

I think it would be reasonable to return the wiring to original configuration. Just make sure all the connections are clean and tight.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

I agree, Martin. Anyone who has a homemade relay setup and contemplates using LEDs should probably put their wiring back to stock. It will be simpler with less chance of failure and some future owner will thank you for making his troubleshooting easier. On the other hand, I have Joe Leoni's headlight relay kit installed. It was well thought out and works well. Definitely NOT in the homemade category. I decided to leave it in place when I installed Jules' LED headlights. I know, I could have removed it (and still might), but I have Joe's instructions and schematic inn my FSM so I might not.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jay Darlington »

My 58A with LED's works just fine with the oem relay switch and wiring.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

The OEM stuff was designed for much more current, so it's not working very hard now. The only problem I can see is that Jules' LED headlights use so little current that it won't keep the smoke cleared out of the wiring.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

From your owners handbook or shop manual you can obtain the amperage the headlights require! You should find that the L E D headlights require less power.
Which means you can carefully remove the relays. DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE BEFORE YOU START DOING ANYTHING.

Regarding the Joe Leoni headlight relay. This relay is POWERED ALL THE TIME WITH NO FUSE. Move the wire from the top of the fuse box to the bottom (FUSED terminal) Your insurance company will appreciate that. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE STARTING WORK. Use a fused jumper wire on the battery cable (negative) to check your work! If you have a short the fuse will fail and no wiring damage will occur. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wes Bender »

Al Zim wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 pm
Regarding the Joe Leoni headlight relay. This relay is POWERED ALL THE TIME WITH NO FUSE. Move the wire from the top of the fuse box to the bottom (FUSED terminal) Your insurance company will appreciate that. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE STARTING WORK. Use a fused jumper wire on the battery cable (negative) to check your work! If you have a short the fuse will fail and no wiring damage will occur. Zim
More correctly, the relay has power available to it all the time. Al, the headlight switch also has power available to it all the time without passing through a fuse. Also, the handbrake indicator light, the dimmer switch, instruments (except lighting), the horns and the ignition, some of which are only hot if the ignition is on. But they aren't fused. What do you do about that?

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#8 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

I would leave the relays, just make sure you have a clean installation to avoid " arching and sparks",we do not want to let the smoke out.
To protect that circuit you can fuse it before the 30 input contact at the relay.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Bryan »

Funny - I just got the same question from Ken T
viewtopic.php?t=55412
With the LED headlights, there is really no reason for the switch saver relay setup, although it will still function. If you want to go back to a more stock look, though, the extra parts and wires can be removed and the original wiring re-established.
Greg Bryan

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#10 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Al, regarding your tip on using a fused jumper wire on the negative battery post to check on work involving wiring...

Would this also apply when checking a starter relay installation?
If so, what amp fuse should be used in that jumper wire when testing the starter relay wiring?

Thank you.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

RANDY There is no starter relay in the factory wiring. The added relay (that is attached near the solenoid of the starter) is present because it was easier for the owner to install it than to fix wiring situations. I usually use a 20 amp fuse since a short will immediately open the circuit. Use the plastic fuse for USA cars and purchase a holder from your local parts store. I usually have 2 in my tool box. Alligator clips on the wire ends help. If you think you are having starter problems, remove it from the car (disconnect the battery) then remove the end plate that faces forward in the car (a sheet metal piece) and blow the starter out with compressed air. (blow it into a trash can so you do not make a mess) that may solve your situation. Zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#12 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Thanks Al
I don’t have any starter problems. I'm just planning on installing a starter relay as recommended on this forum.
I understand that my ignition switch will really appreciate it.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster