C rear wheel bearing & axle tube damage

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chris Cullin
356 Fan

C rear wheel bearing & axle tube damage

#1 Post by Chris Cullin »

I have a C that has been sitting for 20+ years and is new to me. I'm doing the brakes and rear axles, and the RHS has strange bearing damage and both tubes have sharp scratches on the transmission side. I will replace the bearing and sand the scratches to remove the proud parts, but curious as to what causes these, especially the bearing. The axle boots were split-type and one was damaged. no idea of the past.

Any thoughts on what might cause this damage?

Interestingly one rear bumper stop was full of black beans - perhaps squirrels - was a California car, now Melb Australia.
Attachments
IMG_1162.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Tony Proasi
Classifieds Moderator

Re: C rear wheel bearing & axle tube damage

#2 Post by Tony Proasi »

The second photo is common it’s from someone driving the car with a split boot and dirt & grit getting in there. I usually just polish the deep scratches out. Make sure to do the same on the side cover.

Chris Cullin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Chris Cullin »

Thanks Tony. The bearing one is interesting - I think this was the inside of the bearing, facing the transmission. I will have a closer look at the other side tomorrow.
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Al Zim
356 Fan

#4 Post by Al Zim »

The scratch will help keeping oil the connection between the axle tube and the transmission do not worry about the wear! This was probably caused by the shim (gasket) not being thick enough and the axle rubbing. Check your shop manual. IF YOU PUT IN TOO MANY GASKETS THE REAR END WILL GO KLUNK AS YOU ROUND A CORNER. Gaskets can be installed or removed by removing the bolts and removing the tension from the outer end of the axle boot slide it out of the way cut the gasket at the top (not at the bolt hole and install. This will take less than an hour. Lift the car from the side and the oil will move to the other side of the transmission. NO MESS The gaskets and axle tube are VW. The axle bearing is a VW which should be easily available. The rubber axle tube cover is a VW. Obtain hose screw type clamps for each end of the cover and snug the through bolts without opening the gasket sealing area. WE usually distort the threads on these bolts with a wire cutter so they do not work loose. Swepco 80W/90 oil will work magic on transmission and differential noises. al zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

ok
Last edited by Vic Skirmants on Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Cullin
356 Fan

#6 Post by Chris Cullin »

Thanks Al. Planning on solid boots and disassembling the axle tubes. Should be fun :)
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Al Zim
356 Fan

#7 Post by Al Zim »

Chris: don't make more work for yourself than you need to. Millions of VW's have used the split axle boot successfully. Zim
Martin (next post) feels that it might be rewarding to do the repairs with factory boot. AREAS OF CONCERN FOR YOU! Make sure that the axle goes on the spring plate EXACTLY where it came off! The nut on the axle that holds it to the brakes is usually installed with 400 ft. lbs of torque. You need a 3/4 inch wrench and correct socket (a socket in inches will work) then you will need a piece of angle iron to go over two of the wheel studs to lock the axle. Zimz sells a torque adapter to make this operation simple but currently we are out of stock. That is a story in itself. Now you need to remove the axle from the car (it does not jump off. After it is removed then you can lubricate the axle boot probably turn it inside out and fit it over the bell end of the axle tube. Be sure you have new gaskets to keep the tube sealed to the side of the transmission. Then you get to put it together. It would be my suggestion that you have the underside of the car DRY ICE blasted to remove all the dirt grease etc. Do the front end also you will be happy later in life.
Always have a friend with 356 experience there to help you. He has tools you do not have. It is a crappy dirty job. Al Zim
Last edited by Al Zim on Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

I agree but he might find it more rewarding to do it factory style, and enjoy the job.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#9 Post by David Jones »

Chris, you can install the solid boots without dismantling the axle tube from the bearing housing. Lube the boot turn it inside out maybe preheat it in hot water then pull it over the bell end. There are you tube videos showing the procedure.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Chris Cullin
356 Fan

#10 Post by Chris Cullin »

Thanks all. Axle tubes now removed with Axles left in place. It was indeed a messy job with years of caked on grease and oil all over the transmission. Pins removed from Axle tubes and I am making a tool to press out the tubes. If I can get the tubes I'll paint all parts and slide on the new boots, plan B is to paint as a single assembly stretch boot over the bell end. I will post some pics tomorrow.
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

Plan on an alignment!
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

hi Chris
just pray the fulcrum plates don't slip out of place.
j

Chris Cullin
356 Fan

#13 Post by Chris Cullin »

Axle's tied in so they don't slip out. axle tubes came apart OK with a simple pulley puller, I just had to cut a 45mm disc to press against the tube.
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Chris Cullin
356 Fan

#14 Post by Chris Cullin »

here are a few pics of dissembled tubes all cleaned and ready to paint.
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
356 T5 coupe (gone)
356 SC cab (gone)
356 C coupe
VW T3/Vanagon camper
VW T3 transporter
MG TF1500

Brendan Head
356 Fan

#15 Post by Brendan Head »

Hello Chris,
Great to see a 356er who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.
A shame that I’ve only just seen your post now as you might already be all sorted but I wanted to reach out all the same, I have a bunch of spare gaskets, bearings and 356 tools that your welcome to use and best of all I’m down under in Melbourne too!
Cheers Bren