Different 356B/C Starters

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Hale
356 Fan

Different 356B/C Starters

#1 Post by Tom Hale »

I show two Bosch EEF 6V starters in the picture. The starter with yellow paint has a different orientation of the mounting bolts with respect to the solenoid than the typical 356B/C starter shown with black paint. Does anyone know why the orientation of the solenoid for the starter with the yellow paint is different, or is it for a specific coach of 356? Is there any reason to choose one over the other?
Starters.jpg

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Different 356B/C Starters

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Yellow is VW.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by Larry Brooks »

Tom Hale wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:47 pm ... Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

Starters.jpg
Yes, the VW starters are much harder to install/remove in a 356B/C because the solenoid is up against the body. I bought a 356B with a VW starter and it barely fit even with some modification to the body that the previous owner had done. I'm also pretty sure the VW starter is lower amps(less power) than the 356 version.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Schmid »

I replaced the starter unit in my C a few years back with what I was told was a VW unit. No fitment issues and no noticeable change when starting in the engine cranking speed. The unit is painted black FWIW. Maybe I got a Porsche part after all?

Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

#5 Post by Patrick Ertel »

On SOME cars the VW starter solenoid contacts the bottom of the rear seat sheet metal. I my experience, a VW starter will not work in a Speedster unless you "body work" (ie beat on) the sheet metal above the starter. OTOH, a VW starter fits fine in a '56 coupe. I don't have any universal answer, just lived experience, but my guess is there is a difference in that area of the body between coupes and open cars.
The condition of the transmission mounts might also be a factor.
Patrick Ertel