Weird door latch issue; '57A coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wayne Arny
356 Fan

Weird door latch issue; '57A coupe

#1 Post by Wayne Arny »

The door latch on the right side door of my '57A coupe works fine, most of the time. However, if it is not closed tightly on the first attempt, the latch mechanism flips down and prevents a second try. Once the knob is pushed in with the door open, the mechanism goes back up and stays there, and the door can be closed... as long as it's pushed in smartly. If not, the "flipper" thing goes back down, and the process must be repeated. There is no issue with the latch on the left side.

For clarity, the pictures below the first one shows the "flipper" in the correct, horizontal position. The second shows the "flipper" in the incorrect position after I closed the door "softly." Again, once I push the door button, the "flipper" goes back to the horizontal position and stays there until the door latches properly, if pushed in smartly. If not, the "flipper" goes back down, the door is then a bit ajar, and must be pulled open for the button to be pushed again.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Wayne
Attachments
Latch correct 2.pdf
(181.52 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Latch incorrect.pdf
(191.16 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Weird door latch issue; '57A coupe

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

Hey Wayne,

Does the latch move freely? Sounds like either something is stuck or the spring broke
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

I agree, Jules. I'd check the spring and clean and lube the entire assembly.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

I’d think the spring is ok if pushing the button returns it to fully open. You might succeed by just lubricating it, I’d first use a penetrating oil like Blaster to free it up. Then if it works, some regular oil.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wayne Arny »

Here is today's research. First, I looked at the latch "receiver" on my '60 (1st pic, hopefully), and it's different than on the A. Second, I compared the receivers on both door jambs of the '57A, and the one on the right looks a bit banged up at the top (pics 2 & 3) compared to the one on the left (#4). Could those "deformations" be causing the flipper to flip down too early? I think I will try to carve off the excess that's sticking down and smooth it up, and then try to see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find a clean replacement for the right receiver.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Could it just be adjustment of this striker plate?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wayne Arny »

Could be! I think it does need to be "cleaned up" no matter what, but then the question I have is: How is it adjusted? If I loosen the four screws, will I be able to move the striker plate around?

Thanks!!

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wayne Arny »

As I look at pic 3 compared to pic 4 of the other side, it looks like the plate was too Low? And needs to be moved up? Was it the "flipper" that did the damage to the plastic at the top part of the plate?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

The only thing I can think of that would damage the striker plate would be the "flipper ". There is a nut plate on the inside of the door jamb. It may be frozen in place due to undercoating, road dirt, etc. if it hasn't been loosened in a while, I'd hit where the screws protrude with a penetrant first. Replacement striker plates are available if needed.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jules Dielen »

There is a static piece above the 'flipper' that got smashed into the striker on the T1. It should not impact the function of the flipper itself but it should be adjusted. Looks like it was off by quite a bit for a very long time!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#11 Post by Wayne Arny »

Jules, Can you explain further? By adjusting, I'm thinking I need to clean up the receiver and make sure the flipper lined up with it, and is not hitting it. And if I need to raise it up a bit, exactly how? What to the four screws screw into, and once they are loose, can I adjust the plate?? Thanks!

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

If it’s factory there’s a nut plate that the screws go into. It may be somewhat locked in place by rust as nd undercoating but if you can overloosen the screws and knock it around a bit it should be able to be adjusted. Or get new striker, screws, and plate, and drill out the old ones.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Wayne Arny
356 Fan

#13 Post by Wayne Arny »

Before I go further on Martin's suggestion, here's an historical question for Martin and the Group, based on the alternatives I found in the Stoddard catalog and what I'm seeing on my own vehicles.

First, where is the break between T1 and T2 As? I always thought my '57 was a T2, but by the definition of the article in the first attachment below, the position and shape of the striker plate says it's a T1. And that position and shape for the T2 is the position and shape for the plates on my B.

Second, the screw heads for the "pre-T2"T1 plates are listed in the article as slot-headed, and that is consistent with the Stoddard catalog. My A definitely has T1 striker plates, but the screws on both sides are "cross-head" screws, which the article lists for T2. Were they interchangeable, thread-wise and length-wise?

Third, as to which T1 or "pre-T2" striker plate is right for my car, how is one to tell? As you can see from the attached ads from Stoddard, they list three "types" of plates, all three of which appear to use the same reinforcement plate! What determined which of the three types of plates went into which year and model car? And does it matter? And how does that affect me???

Or is this what seems to be "standard" in the early development of Porsches; is it a case of... to quote a famous Secretary of the Navy, who was quoting Emerson apparently... Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds??!!

Thoughts? And again, thanks!
Attachments
Article on position.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 9.54.01 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 9.54.26 AM.jpg

Pete Indelicato
356 Fan
Tag: 356 owner

#14 Post by Pete Indelicato »

I have a weird issue also with drivers side door latch--if you try to slam it closed it will not latch--stays ajar--if you gently close it, it is fine and latches properly--I don't see any wear on anything--I have tried adjusting the striker plate more than several times--always the same--do you think it might be the spring in the latch mechanism?
1963 T6 couple #212891, motor #*KD*P*730464

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

Sounds like a spring issue.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna