VOLTAGE REDUCER

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Darlington
356 Fan

VOLTAGE REDUCER

#1 Post by Jay Darlington »

Many years ago i purchased a 12 volt armature for my 58 356 A wipers. so recently i installed it in the wiper motor, and to my dismay they still do about a 100mph. Larry Brooks was down recently to pick up some merchandise and we were talking, he seemed to think the 12volt armature i bought was probably really a 6 volt. i have to sadly agree. so i have had a lot of experiance with volt-a- drops and various reducers for VW wipers. none seemed to work or work satisfactorily. so has anyone done this with good results? and what did you use. i was thinking Zims had one, but i haven't called them yet. i don't really want to go the armature route agian, it would be a major job to R/R the wiper assembly. the wipers are something i hope i never use. but here on the Oregon coast, it can turn from clear blue sky's to rain in the blink of an eye.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Juha Vane
356 Fan

Re: VOLTAGE REDUCER

#2 Post by Juha Vane »

Have you checked here:
https://www.eleccircuit.com/the-step-do ... converter/

You probably have checked the Chinese suppliers, problem can
be the Amps the motor need.
KTF,

Juha Vane
Finland

'59 308
'63 356
'85 911

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jay Darlington »

THANKS Juha, its interesting reading. i didn't read it all yet (bedtime) I'll reread it tomorrow.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Al Zim
356 Fan

#4 Post by Al Zim »

ZIMZ is continually converting 6 volt 356 cars to 12 volts with the use of an ALTERNATOR. I believe that we have every electrical device to change you car voltage to the wiper motor. Usually we can ship the same day. We are closed for lunch... al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

Years ago there was discussion that this part would work for the early SWF motors. Bosch also made wiper motors for some cars, and it would not be compatible for these. It will not work with the largerT6 B, C and SC motors. The last thread about these was back in 2013. Anyone had any luck with them?

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Deta ... 113955811B

You can also find these manually by going to Wolfsburg West's website and finding the early Bug product listing for electrical, wiper parts, and click on the picture of the armature. The description states:
"WIPER MOTOR ARMATURE, Converting your 6-volt wiper motor into 12-volt just became a snap with our new conversion armature. No need for those bulky, unsightly and unreliable voltage reducers, our conversion unit converts voltage the proper way and installs in less than 5 minutes. Works on all SWF brand wiper motors, 1958-1966 Beetle and 1955-1964 Bus. Please verify brand of your wiper motor prior to ordering."

The picture of the SWF wiper motor in the parts blowup looks very much like the early Porsche motor.

The price is currently $42.90
1960 Super Cabriolet, 1963 S90 Coupe
Registry #311
Owned Porsche 356s continuously since 1978
(wow, made 45 years of ownership on the 60 Cab!)

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#6 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

IMG_3654.JPG
IMG_3655.JPG
Hello, I have a 1960's Phillips 6/12V step up/down 'transformer' that came with our T5 60 B, I think it was used to power a more modern 12V radio.

When I got the original radio switched to electronic 12V internals it worked fine but I swopped it out for a smaller modern version tucked up under the dash. You are welcome to it if you think it would be of any use to you, just let me know.

V&S
V. Gillespie

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

That is probably not able to handle enough current for the wiper motor.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jay Darlington »

Vincent Gillespie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:04 am IMG_3654.JPGIMG_3655.JPG
Hello, I have a 1960's Phillips 6/12V step up/down 'transformer' that came with our T5 60 B, I think it was used to power a more modern 12V radio.

When I got the original radio switched to electronic 12V internals it worked fine but I swopped it out for a smaller modern version tucked up under the dash. You are welcome to it if you think it would be of any use to you, just let me know.

V&S
Vincent thats very kind of you, but i think Marten is correct, i'll do some research though.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

#9 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

For a pure 12v to 6v voltage converter, Here is one I have used to drive the big wiper motor in my T6 the last 4 years. It is on Amazon. It is waterproof, and very efficient. beats using resistors or such for conserving watts.

uxcell Power Converter Regulator DC12V/24V to DC6V 25A 150W Waterproof Voltage Convert Transformer

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Converter ... 01CUA4IR8/
Registry #311

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#10 Post by Martin Benade »

I’ve had one of those for two years but it seems overly happy sitting on my workbench. It works well?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

#11 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

Martin, I over-engineered mine. It runs off of a modified light relay kit from Leoni. Ran the big cable from the kit from the battery to one of the Leoni relays, then to the converter. I energized the relay from one of the ignition switches aux contacts, so it comes on with the car. Powers the converter whose output is hooked up to the lifted fuse box lead for the wiper circuit. When the wiper switch is turned on, it gets the normal 6 volts, when the ignition is on, and the speed works, and wipers park great, since the entire circuit is energized. The converter is deenergized when the car is off. The 25 Amp converter could also be used to drive gauges or other 6 volt stuff if you wanted. I also added two fuses in a period holder (input and output protection), and two solid state voltmeters on a chip so i can monitor the voltage when troubleshooting, and mounted everything on a piece of Aluminum for more heat removal. The aluminum is is used as the ground, and is grounded via a wire to a convenient bolt. It is all reversible. It hides out well on the right side below the fusebox. Finding a powerful enough converter to drive the T6 wiper motor was the biggest challenge with the 12 volt conversion. That, and finding out that a size 51R 12 volt battery fits well in a T6.

The lower power unit (10 Amp) could probably be used on earlier cars with their smaller wiper motors, but you only save a few bucks. The converters are small waterproof, and very efficient (94%), and don't draw much when not being actively used. Buy two, so you have a spare if they are hard to find if one fails.
Registry #311

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jay Darlington »

THANKS Rudy, i like that, it's what i was looking for. I have one in my cart, I'll order tomorrow. for the price its worth a try.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

#13 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

Jay,
Since your car is an earlier model than the T6 configuration I described, with different switches your conversion is not so complex. If you don't want the voltage reducer on all of the time, install a 12 volt automotive relay whose coil is energized off the ignition switch or fuse 1 that is only on when the ignition is on. Provide a ground wire for the relay coil. Then lift the wire from the fuse box that goes to the wipers. Land another wire to where you lifted the wiper wire and run it to the 12 volt relay's contact side. Connect the output from the contact side of the relay to the wire for the 12 volt positive input for the converter. Connect the converter's 6 volt output to the wiper wire, and supply grounds for the converter. This way the converter is only on if the ignition is on, and the power to the wiper switch will allow for normal parking of the wiper.
Rudy

an example of the relay and holder is: https://www.amazon.com/4-PIN-AMP-Waterp ... 08D8TSMFV/
Registry #311

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Benade »

I probably would have arrived at that myself, but you’ve saved me the thinking and made it a sure thing. I’ll be copying your idea- thanks.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jay Darlington »

THANKS Rudy, thats very helpful. i haven't had time to play with it lately but i'm going to order all the parts tomorrow so i'll have them when the time comes.
Jay D.
jay darlington