Brass nuts on exhaust studs original?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

Re: Brass nuts on exhaust studs original?

#16 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Wes, I think I started the torque value discussion by mentioning the ft lb that Harry Pellow suggested for the brass nuts. Al, if you use the full editor for writing your posts you can use the italic text or bold text , or both, functions to emphasize a comment or idea rather than capital letters. Kind of fun.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#17 Post by Greg Bryan »

I've been using Wurth exhaust nuts for the last few years and they are working well. They are copper clad, 12mm ATF with a flange to spread the load. I think they're referred to as BMW nuts and may be the same as the abovementioned Mercedes parts. They are crimped a bit at the top to make them vibration resistant, but I usually run an 8mm tap through them so they spin on and off more readily, as they seem to rarely come loose once tightened in my experience. I also use a bit of anti-seize on the stud.
They can be ordered directly from Wurth but are a little hard to find in their catalog. I have the part number around someplace ...
The 12mm wrench size makes them a bit easier to put on and take off
Greg Bryan

David M Patrick
356 Fan

#18 Post by David M Patrick »

check belmetric,com. they have copper clad and brass I believe.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#19 Post by Steve Douglas »

I got the last set from SoCal $6.95 for 8 nuts, a little anti-seize and they are good, https://socalautoparts.com/product/copp ... -8-pieces/
Also Amazon and California Import Parts

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jay Darlington »

Tom Wavrin wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:19 pm Wes, I think I started the torque value discussion by mentioning the ft lb that Harry Pellow suggested for the brass nuts. Al, if you use the full editor for writing your posts you can use the italic text or bold text , or both, functions to emphasize a comment or idea rather than capital letters. Kind of fun.
I LIKE the idea of the bold text. i use caps when i want to EMPHASIZE something. to let caps bother you that much seems petty to me. of cores, i understand everyone likes to pounce on AL when they get a chance. :)
Jay D.
jay darlington

Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

#21 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

Jacques wisely created a new topic to continue the torque discussions. Surely AL and all will have a great time trying to determine the amount of stretch the bolt or stud requires for each application. Yes the underline was for emphasis.
1960 Super Cabriolet, 1963 S90 Coupe
Registry #311
Owned Porsche 356s continuously since 1978
(wow, made 45 years of ownership on the 60 Cab!)