Parts Catalog I

For Pre A discussions and questions
Jim Wayman
Registry President

Parts Catalog I

#1 Post by Jim Wayman »

Does anyone have a copy of the first supplement to the 1952 Parts Catalog #1. It was published in 2 forms: One was a set of pages that could be inserted into the Parts Catalog and the other was a booklet with a blue cover. Does anyone know how many supplements were issued for the first parts catalog?

Thanks,
Jim Wayman

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Parts Catalog I

#2 Post by James Davies »

Hi Jim, I'm pretty confused by what you're asking.

Parts Catalog I was published in March 1953. It has very little 1953 content in it and is mostly a snapshot of 1952 model year with some late 1952 engine and syncro transaxle additions. It is very incomplete.

A supplement to that parts catalog was published in early 1954 titled "Supplement No. 1 to Porsche Catalog of Replacement Parts". It itself is undated, but we know it is from 1954 as it has updates that appeared as late as early 1954 (dates known via Service Bulletins). It is basically just extra pages and edits to be added to Catalog I and includes no diagrams. All white pages including the cover. Cover has burgundy font. This was the only supplement published for Catalog I.

Catalog II was published in Jan 1955 and was much more complete. It included more listings of old parts than Catalog I, but also dropped on the floor all parts related to 2-piece case engines and older transaxle info.

A supplement for Catalog II was published sometime in 1955 and was a set of pages to include at the end for Speedsters. This included blue pages and new Speedster diagrams.

Two more versions of Catalog II were published sometime towards the end of 1955 or early 1956 with much the same contents as the first version. I don't know version 2, but version 3 has a lot of 616.xxx.xxx.xx part numbers in it. It is the same catalog with updated numbers (in a different font, very amateur).

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#3 Post by Jim Wayman »

James

You are right. 1952 was a typo. The first catalog is undated. It has a maroon cloth covered hard cover with PORSCHE in silver. It has an internal plastic comb binding. The First supplement to that catalog is undated and was issued in 2 forms: One was a set of pages to be inserted in the book and the second was a staple bound booklet with a heavy blue cover entitled "Supplement No. 1 to Porsche Catalog of Replacement Parts Published March 1953". I am looking for someone who has a copy of the second form of the supplement. Hope this is clearer.

Jim
Jim Wayman

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

There was also a "Engines spare parts List, Types 369/506/546/527/528" Don't know when it was published but was later than the Supplement No. 1. It has updated diagrams and updated parts lists.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#5 Post by Spencer Harris »

James Davies wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:46 am A supplement for Catalog II was published sometime in 1955 and was a set of pages to include at the end for Speedsters. This included blue pages and new Speedster diagrams.
FWIW, the Jan 1955 catalog in the document library is missing illustration 10/51 (electrical equipment for Speedsters) and the last few pages of parts numbers and descriptions of these components. Here are scans of these four pages from my '55 catalog.
Speedster Electrical.pdf
(2.06 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
Group 10 Illus 51.JPG
EDIT: I correct myself: The first 1955 parts manual in the document library has the complete Group 10 supplement. The second 1955 parts manual with the notation “superseded 9-20-22” is missing the electrical equipment for Speedsters pages.
Doc Library.JPG
Last edited by Spencer Harris on Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#6 Post by Jim Wayman »

Alan

You are correct about the Engines Spare Parts List. I previously submitted a digital copy for inclusion on the website and hope it will be posted eventually. Interestingly, there is a statement in that publication. that "The parts not included in this spare parts list are original VW parts". So, what you can't see is a VW part. Though it is not dated, I was once told that it was put out in January 1955. That Parts list has a black cover with red lettering. There are at least 2 other "interim" parts lists that Porsche put out in the 356 era. In July 1959 a similar parts list was put out which contained the parts for the Convertible D that were not common with other 356As. It has a tan paper cover with maroon lettering. Then in September 1959 a list of parts used in the 356B that were not common with the 356A was published. It has a green cover with white lettering. It would be nice to see these on the website along with the many 4-cam manuals.
Jim Wayman

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#7 Post by James Davies »

Alan Hall wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:01 pm There was also a "Engines spare parts List, Types 369/506/546/527/528" Don't know when it was published but was later than the Supplement No. 1. It has updated diagrams and updated parts lists.
Alan, this 2-piece case engine spare parts list was published in at least 4 versions. The version I have was the 4th edition published in Dec 1959. I don't know when it was first published. My 4th edition shows the now-deleted roller bearing cranks, etc.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 12.35.56 PM.png

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by James Davies »

Jim Wayman wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:15 pm that "The parts not included in this spare parts list are original VW parts". So, what you can't see is a VW part.
This is also true of Catalog I. Pretty much everything missing is a VW part.

Except for the missing Porsche parts. :lol: