356 Front Axle Rebuilding Service

Vendor announcements of new 356 products, product changes, recalls, requests for product feedback, or changes to their business.
Jim Wayman
Registry President

356 Front Axle Rebuilding Service

#1 Post by Jim Wayman »

Is there any interest in a service for rebuilding front axles. The service would include disassembly of your spindles/links, removal of link pin bushings, removal of king pins and bushings, thorough cleaning, reassembly using all new link pin parts (bronze bushings, not the cheap sintered iron VW ones), new king pin parts and painting in the proper shade of black. I have all of the proper tools (reamers, drifts, etc.) to do the job without distorting the links (saddles). I have done this many times on my own cars and for friends and thought it might be of interest to members of the club. I estimate the service would cost about $500 including parts. Anyone interest/thoughts? You can reply here with your comments or contact me directly at hiway9999@hotmail.com or (760) 451-6234.
Jim Wayman

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: 356 Front Axle Rebuilding Service

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Before Al pipes up, your idea sounds good but you would do well to come up with a way to verify that nothing is bent. You could probably make some jigs assuming factory tools can’t be found.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#3 Post by Jim Wayman »

I don't have a P69, so if someone has one they would sell, I could add that to the process.
Jim Wayman

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joris Koning »

Jim, I think the other key thing is to have a wide selection of shims so you can set the “tightness” of the spindle correctly. I remember being at a show once where somebody was advertising this service. The example front end they were showing was super loose. Gave me little to no trust in the quality of their rebuild
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#5 Post by Jim Wayman »

Joris

I plan on getting full rebuild sets with new shims for each rebuild, plus I have an assortment of hundreds of old shims and parts that I could use to make a perfect fit.
Jim Wayman

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#6 Post by Joris Koning »

Jim,

Not sure if different thickness king pin thrust washers are still available but if you have a large collection of these you should be golden. I remember rebuilding my front suspension at Larry Markhams' and having the luxury of picking out the correct thickness washers needed from his large collection. Without those the end result would have been very different.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

With the right equipment grinding to fit is pretty easy.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

i would think the product liability insurance would make such a venture at that price point a no starter.
j

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Jim
what do you prefer for link pin bushings: brass, bronze or sintered iron and why?
j

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#10 Post by Jim Wayman »

Jacques

have always used the bronze ones as I feel they retain grease better and last longer.
Jim Wayman

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Jim
does actual data confirm this? i have only seen badly worn bronze bushings.
j

Jim Wayman
Registry President

#12 Post by Jim Wayman »

Jacques

Every one I have taken apart has been worn regardless of the type of bushing (I guess that is the reason for rebuilding). I am not aware of any tests on the wear characteristics of each type, but my experience has been that the bronze ones work best. Perhaps the reason that we encounter worn bronze ones most often is because that is what was used most commonly.
Jim Wayman

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

I’ve certainly seen the sintered iron ones on VW s horribly worn out, so they aren’t immune.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dave Erickson »

Jim and Jacques: what do you think the life of king pin bushings should be? Lack of regular lubrication seems to be very common for this part, and badly worn bushings go hand in hand with that.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#15 Post by Al Zim »

Starting on Page S13 of the 356B shop manual you will see that 2 Porsche measuring tools P69 and P70 and 2 VW Measuring tools VW 259 and VW 217 are absolutely necessary to correctly assemble the front end. Unfortunately due to 58 years of wear you will need a vertical mill with a device that will allow you to return the king pin carrier back to nearly original specifications. I would further suggest that you devise press tools that will keep any damage from happening as you press out and in on the king pin. Your machine shop can design additional fixtures to change the front wheel camber setting.
*****MOST IMPORTANT***** You have to have a large amount of used front end parts. We have 2 people roaming the United States for USED VW front end trailing arms. As fate has it we have purchased more bad arms then good ones! That is the luck of the draw. He still gets paid the same. The VW parts are the basis of making the correct Porsche part. The car will still need to be aligned when it is assembled.
FINALLY! AND *MOST* IMPORTANT: Personal and Business insurance***we carry 2 million dollars! When there is a crash a lawsuit will follow. You can usually tack this on to your homeowners insurance policy.
In order to align the car the REAR AXLE has to be in a parallel with the front axle. Due to the short wheelbase on the 356 and early 912/911's current (Hunter) alignment equipment requires careful positioning of the vehicle to be successful.
READ: On the garage floor alignment will always have inaccuracies. al
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/