Mystery steering wheel markings

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
John Paterson
356 Fan

Mystery steering wheel markings

#1 Post by John Paterson »

I recently acquired what looks to be an early wheel but have never seen these markings before. Anyone here familiar?
53 wheel.jpg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Mystery steering wheel markings

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

If this is a VDM wheel, there was a thread on it some time ago. If I recall correctly, the numbers might have something to do with dates.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Paterson
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Paterson »

Yes, I saw that thread. But very different markings. No obvious VDM markings on this wheel that I can see.

The wheel in question is an ivory, 1953-style wheel. The 223 date code could therefore decode to the 22nd week of 1953 or the 23rd week of 1952 and either could be correct. Of more interest are the small steering wheel marks which appear to have a "6" and, perhaps, an "8" or "9" in the center. I've never seen them before.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I know there are a few Pre-A experts on our Forum. Maybe they can weigh in. Maybe pose your question on the Pre-A Forum.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

Hey john, can you post a pic of the complete steering wheel, it looks like a petri marking.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

John Paterson
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Paterson »

Jules Dielen wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:20 am Hey john, can you post a pic of the complete steering wheel, it looks like a petri marking.
Thanks, Jules. Photo below. The info I have it that it's a 1953 wheel originally delivered on a European car. I just had another collector last night advise me that they looked like Petri marks so keen to hear your opinion. Thanks.
083.JPG

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jules Dielen »

Odd. That is a late A wheel. The lip around the horn button appeared way after the pre A. Is it a 420mm? It does look like a petri logo which is strange on a vdm wheel.

It also has the holes for a cancel ring, so it is definitely not pre A, the cancel ring came on A cars. The holes for the horn ring locating pins also date it later than 1953.

Best guess at this point , week 22 of 1958 for production date, but the stamping does not make any sense then.

Maybe it was restored by Petri at one point and they put a logo in?
Last edited by Jules Dielen on Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jules

John Paterson
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Paterson »

It's a 400mm wheel.

John Paterson
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Paterson »

And the holes for the horn ring look odd to me, almost like they were added, but I'm no expert.
101.JPG
097.JPG

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jules Dielen »

Ouch, someone did a number on those yes. And the cup holes look a bit messed up too, like someone started drilling them out and then changed their mind.. Btw those are not the horn ring holes, they are for the turn signal cancel ring.

Still the lip on the front dates it in the late 356A era, the earlier wheels do not have that lip.

Either way, a 400mm still has its value.
Jules

John Paterson
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Paterson »

Jules Dielen wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:46 pmBtw those are not the horn ring holes, they are for the turn signal cancel ring.
Sorry, that's what I meant. I read somewhere that those holes were usually added to early wheels as pre A wheels didn't have a cancel ring.

Interesting re: the lip and this being a later wheel. Thanks for your input.