Window rubber

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Bob Frederking
356 Fan

Window rubber

#1 Post by Bob Frederking »

I have had new rubber installed on my doors. They are the wiper strips at the top of the door that wipes the window as it is lowered. My rubbers stand about 1/16" away from the glass. How to get them to tilt more inwards? Suggestions?

Bob Frederking
recently restored 1965 C Cab.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Window rubber

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm trying to remember if the portion that slides into the chrome strip has an angle to it that would position it closer to the glass.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob Frederking »

Yes, it is the rubber strip that slides into the chrome strip. I have just gone out to my car and looked at it carefully, the rubber profile is asymmetrical, and seems to have been installed incorrectly. In my B parts book, it is 644.531.931.20 rubber profile, cover rail, 480 mm long. It's shown on page 6/3. I think I'll have to go back to the shop that installed and ask them to correct it. There must be some trick to sliding it in and out.
Have you replaced one yourself?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi, Bob: i have replaced more than a few. Pretty simple really. It just slides in the chrome strip channel. A bit of lube like vinyl dressing or soap helps.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Frederking »

Hi Mike,
That is good to know. Right now it is in so I will first have to extract it. Use the same type of lube to help get it out?
The parts book also shows a "plastic backing" that fits under the chrome strip. it is sort of a "figure of 8" profile but lop-sided. I think the big lobe is outside and the small lobe under the chrome strip? Mine now has the big lobe under the chrome strip, but my memory is that the large lobe of the "plastic backing" was originally outside.
I attach a file of the Figure 6/3 that shows the various strips, profiles and backings.
Thank you for your patience in answering my questions.
Bob
Attachments
Fig 6-3.jpg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Unless the rubber squeegee was glued in, it should slide out fairly easily. If I recall correctly, the larger side of the plastic profile is on the outside. Glad to help you with your questions as we are all here to help each other.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

On my cab I’ve lost two that just slid out while driving but the coupe’s vertical frame blocks that from happening. You probably can just pull it out but you’ll have to tuck it in with a small screwdriver if you don’t disassemble the strip.
If it was in backwards I think it would be much further from the glass than yours is. Also the profile under the chrome is helping the squeegee to sit closer if the fat side is under the chrome presently.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bob Frederking »

Thank you, Martin. As you suggest, the core of the problem is the plastic profile strip. Reversing it so the fat side is outside should help tilt the chrome strip inwards and bring the rubber squeegee back against the window. The rubber squeegee position is OK, but I'll have to go into the door to reverse the plastic strip.
Thanks again,
Bob

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dave Erickson »

Bob, what year and model car is this for? I ask because I need to replace the outside rubber on my Convertible D doors, and wondered if the discussion here is relevant.

Dave

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bob Frederking »

Dave, it's a 1965 C Cabriolet. According to the Stoddard Classic 356 catalogue this chrome strip, plastic profile and rubber squeegee strip are the same for Cabs and D convertibles. Take a close look on what you have so when you install the new parts you can do it the same way. Seems there is a right way and a wrong way!
Bob

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dave Erickson »

Thanks Bob!

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

If you have a Cab like me the only thing holding the strip in is glue, otherwise it will slide out while driving.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Bob Frederking
356 Fan

#13 Post by Bob Frederking »

Hi Martin,
Thanks, mine must be glued in. I've tried to slide it out, but it won't move. I think my issue is with the plastic profile under the chrome strip.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Benade »

My feeling is that the profile underneath is backwards but improving the squeegee fit. Right now the molding is canted inward a bit from where it should be.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna