Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

#121 Post by Martin Benade »

More great work. You accomplish so much- do you work on this full time, or is this all done after coming home from a job?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#122 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you Martin, on the contrary I'm slow as sh%t but I'm thorough and steady as she goes. These entries are a few years old and I'm just trying to catch this thread up to where the project stands today. I'm trying to convey as best as I can what actually goes into rebuilding a severely rusty car but these entries can still make the process seem deceptively easy. It is not and certainly nothing like assembling Ikea furniture. Nothing goes in without a fight and there are many hours of test fits, refits and frustration in between each posted progress photo. It might be too detailed for some but when the car is finished there will be a couple of detailed records on line as to what exactly is going on under all of its Shiny red paint ,new upholstery and fresh undercoating. The next custodian and its current one can have full confidence in this finished car they're looking at. As I've told friends before there is nothing I'd trust less than a freshly painted/"restored" 356 that's emerged from the shadows without a build history. Anyway, I'm rambling, thanks again Martin.

Fitting the old tube end into its new home.
IMG_7440.JPG
Aligning the tube. Close but the forward shoulder needs more rolling to allow the angle to drop in evenly.
IMG_7441.JPG
After some adjustment I finally got that tube section pretty much where it was before.
IMG_7442.JPG
New section is set into its final position. These two tube ends do come in at different angles which is probably why they remained separated like this.
IMG_7447.JPG
Tube tacked into final position.
IMG_7444.JPG
The tubes approach angle did put up a bit of a fight against that relief collar before I got all to align.
IMG_7449.JPG
Removed one last time to weld up the tube end as originally done.
IMG_7451.JPG
Seam welded the tube end to the opening of the shoulder as found.
IMG_7453.JPG
Only way to do it BTW as you'll never laydown a nice clean bead way down in here.
IMG_7455.JPG
Another test to check my fit and alignment after all that heat.
IMG_7454.JPG
Everything still in there and good to go. Time for the last detail. Heeling the bottom flange over. Getting close...
Thanks for looking.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#123 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7457.JPG
Flange added, plug weld holes in and at long last I have this final piece of this particular puzzle completed.
IMG_7456.JPG
Time now to get these inside surfaces treated and coated so I can close this up for good.
IMG_7458.JPG
Best I can do with the remaining surface rust was to treat it with converter.
IMG_7459.JPG
Then the inner cavities where slopped heavy with some epoxy sealer. A lot of heat still to come so I don't know how much of this will survive but it will offer at least some additional protection.
IMG_7461.JPG
Mounted back on... For good this time.
IMG_7460.JPG
Ready for the first few plug welds and tacks next.
IMG_7462.JPG
End of this tube at the elbow is literally within a wisp of where it was originally. As close as I could hope for.
IMG_7463.JPG
Commitment time. Plug welds and tacks added.
IMG_7464.JPG
Elbow joint tacked and set as well. Looks close though not an exact copy but it is proper 18 gauge and one piece. I can live with it. Welding it in the rest of the way next.
Thanks for looking.
Justin

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#124 Post by Dave Erickson »

Justin, it looks very cool. Too bad it will all be hidden. There was a lot of work in there.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#125 Post by Justin Rio »

Thanks a lot Dave, Yes, a ton of work to copy and layer as it was found but most importantly it had to be strong and able to perform its job under load when its all finished. True it won't be seen again but we these old photos to show exactly what's going on under its longitudinal closing panels. Justin

Tying up loose ends in prep for closure of this cavity.
IMG_7494.JPG
Time to finish stitching up this long run.
IMG_7497.JPG
All welded and dressed.
IMG_7496.JPG
Welded the elbow joint back up next. Gas welded as originally. Very tough and tricky getting the blind side of the tube stitched in. Having it on a rotisserie made that possible.
IMG_7511.JPG
All that is left on this corner is the inner closing wall. 100% solid steel down in this junction once again.
IMG_7492.JPG
By the time this final inner wall is repaired there will be 4 layers of 18 gauge in this corner. Then when the floor is added that will make this flange 5 layers thick... then a 20 gauge(should be 18) longitudinal closing panel on top of that. This area ahead of the torsion housing will be very stout once again.
IMG_7512.JPG
Finished out the weld joint in and around the new flanged opening.
IMG_7513.JPG
Looking at this completed corner made for a very pleasant session...
IMG_7514.JPG
Just a couple more loose ends to go and I'll be fitting the closing panel.
IMG_7516.JPG
Right side just about ready to accept a new floor.

Thanks for looking.

Justin

Mark Groethe
356 Fan

#126 Post by Mark Groethe »

Excellent work Justin!
My 59 Silver/Red Sunroof is about 40 cars "older" than the one you are restoring (COA birthdate is 7/28/59). Maybe they came over on the same boat? ... And now they are only 20 miles away from each other. Keep up the great work.

Mark

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#127 Post by Justin Rio »

Hey Mark, great to hear from you and thanks! Yes, Sister cars for sure and probably completed the same week.

More prep for right longitudinal.
IMG_7525.JPG
Grinding down the remains of the OG longitudinal flange so I can peel it off.
IMG_7526.JPG
Trick is to get it thin so its weak enough to peel like a Sardine can but not too far where you're thinning out the host layer.
IMG_7527.JPG
Dots of OG spot welds are the last to go with just a quick pass of the grinder. Beats drilling them out.
IMG_7528.JPG
Boxed the twin bulkheads for additional support and stability.
IMG_7529.JPG
Not original but completely unseen once its all closed up. I want a more solid base for the jack spur to work off of.
IMG_7532.JPG
Begin rear closing wall repairs. I had thought of maybe reinstalling the original but I had too see how far the rust had gone under that flange.
IMG_7533.JPG
This section of closing wall is rusted out a bit more than I thought so its going to be a cleaner job to just build it new from a single piece.
IMG_7537.JPG
Again, once I had more of the flange peeled it was more confirmation that I wasn't saving this old closing wall.
IMG_7539.JPG
Last bit of the wall removed save for the upper attachment flange which I'll get later.
IMG_7538.JPG
So very relieved to find the rest of it solid way down in this blind corner.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#128 Post by Justin Rio »

Rear cap wall:
IMG_7541.JPG
Thought I might be fabricating this piece but a quick check of the parts stash turned up a pair of new closing walls. So glad I checked first.
IMG_7543.JPG
Now onto fitting all closing walls.
IMG_7542.JPG
Fitting the bottom panel first.
IMG_7544.JPG
After just a quick clip here and there this panel went most of the way in.
IMG_7545.JPG
Hugs the contour of the bulkheads snugly.
IMG_7547.JPG
with a nice fit against the new flange run. Almost too easy...
IMG_7546.JPG
Trimming and set screwing into final position coming up next.

Thanks for looking.
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#129 Post by Justin Rio »

Longitudinal panel fitment
IMG_7569.JPG
Carefully flattening out some of that flange then trimming back for the eventual seam weld.
IMG_7570.JPG
Had to rebend this flange a little higher and angled for a tight fit here.
IMG_7571.JPG
Began set screwing from the center out utilizing the original tack strip holes.
IMG_7572.JPG
Synched up nicely so far.
IMG_7575.JPG
Quick mock up with the Original rocker assembly which will be reinstalled.
IMG_7577.JPG
OG tack strip holes will also come in handy to locate the rocker exactly where it was.
IMG_7576.JPG
Door well tray resting against the new longitudinal panel nice tight fit so far.
IMG_7578.JPG
Lots of panel prep before this goes on for good but it should work out fine in the end.
IMG_7579.JPG
All the needed confirmation to move onto the next step of set screwing the new closing panel into final position.
IMG_7596.JPG
Synched down into final adjusted position working from the center outward.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#130 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_7597.JPG
Will cut and lay the flanges over just as the factory example on the other side shows.
IMG_7599.JPG
Rolled the body upright to trace the final cut lines. Huge psychological boost seeing this all closed up.
IMG_7601.JPG
Entire run synched up nice and tight.
IMG_7600.JPG
Tracing my cut lines next but will leave the excess in the corner until I have to new flanged closing section built and in. Speaking of flanges, that new reinforcement plate for the bulkheads was flanged at both ends. Have to plug weld the three holes that secure them there next.
IMG_7602.JPG
Dismounted for final trimming.
IMG_7604.JPG
Small details of replicating flap overlay on the forward corner.
IMG_7606.JPG
Remains just enough of it to copy.
IMG_7605.JPG
Replicating it little by little as it goes.
IMG_7609.JPG
Plug weld holes added to attach this panel to the bulkheads for additional reinforcement.
IMG_7624.JPG
The main closing run is just about ready to go on for good so it was time to begin fitting its rear cap but the plan of using this part would change as prep-work progressed.
That next... Thanks for looking.
Justin

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#131 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

That is great to follow, what a nice reconstruction !

Antoine

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#132 Post by Justin Rio »

Thanks again Antione.

Rear cap prep continued:
IMG_7612.JPG
Began by cleaning the upper mounting flange for it.
IMG_7613.JPG
Two layers of remains to grind down to get to the base flange. Not fun...
IMG_7614.JPG
Getting these layers thin enough to peel and tear without getting into the base flange.
IMG_7615.JPG
Took some grinding but getting it down to brass tacks.
IMG_7616.JPG
Base run cleaned of old flanges and wire wheeled of rust.
IMG_7617.JPG
Didn't get it all. Remains of both of those old flanges continue on under the striker and seal channel to the other side.
IMG_7618.JPG
Debated on whether to chase it or end the repair here. After some looking I found more rust in and around this junction so I decided to clean it out the rest of the way.
IMG_7619.JPG
Old junction point removed.
IMG_7620.JPG
Entire run now clean so I can do a complete repair.
IMG_7621.JPG
Now the new section will wrap around in behind the striker as originally found.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#133 Post by Justin Rio »

rear cap continued:
IMG_7622.JPG
Time to begin fitting the new cap. However the more I played with it the more it just didn't seem quite right. While the embossed upper section detail is intricate its not correct...
IMG_7625.JPG
A refresher look to the other side shows it as a simple sweeping panel with no embossed corner details.
IMG_7622.JPG
Not sure what car this piece was copied from; maybe a Karmann panel? One thing for sure its not correct for this car.
More later...

Thanks for looking!

Justin

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#134 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

Always a pleasure to follow your project and I am learning much along the way, Thanks!

Antoine

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#135 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Karmann did not make panels for 356A.