Oil Pump Pick Up Pipe .

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Clarke
356 Fan

Oil Pump Pick Up Pipe .

#1 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Guys. After draining the oil, I decided to finally fit Ron's Deep Drain Alloy Sump Plate. On removing the Oli strainer plate, I found the Oil Pick Up Pipe very loose in the case. Any cause for concern with this ? Engine 912 616/40
Thanks in advance for any advice
Regards Jay

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Oil Pump Pick Up Pipe .

#2 Post by John Brooks »

John

There is a special tool to swell the inside of the pipe back into the block. It’s been a million years since I had to do one, it looks like the distributor gear puller but has 4 balls that expand out as you tighten and twist the tool. It’s called a “ball end punch. Tool number P-50. Page 77 of special tool catalogs

https://porsche356registry.org/content. ... _id=508693

I have one but someone in the UK should have one also. Simple to make. Threaded tube and Threaded rod, the rod is pointed with 4 flat facets on the end, to press the balls out as you screw in the rod into the tube. The small balls expand the inside of the pick up tube to seat into the case.
Last edited by John Brooks on Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Looks like another of those things that you can’t send a link. It doesn’t work.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

Don't worry about it. They are often loose. That engine should have an o-ring around the pipe where the 3rd piece mates. The tube can rotate and still be sealed by the o-ring. It is not worth the effort to remove the 3rd piece to expand the pipe. It can't slip out of the case because the screen and sump plate won't allow that.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

C J Murray wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:01 pm Don't worry about it. They are often loose. That engine should have an o-ring around the pipe where the 3rd piece mates. The tube can rotate and still be sealed by the o-ring. It is not worth the effort to remove the 3rd piece to expand the pipe. It can't slip out of the case because the screen and sump plate won't allow that.
EXACTLY!

John Clarke
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Clarke »

Thank You All
That is a relief. Thought I was going to have to remove the 3rd Piece !
Kind Regards Jay

John Clarke
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Clarke »

Well 'Don't Worry About It'
On cleaning the 6mm holes out in the sump, ready to install longer studs for the thicker sump Plate.
The Oil Pick Up Pipe / Tube fell to the floor! 😠 With another case on the bench, I tried to familiarise myself with the location of the Oil Gallery. Multiple attempts to relocate the Pipe failed !! Where to now? 🤔
Not Good.
Cheers Jay

Jay

C J Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by C J Murray »

John Clarke wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:20 am Well 'Don't Worry About It'
On cleaning the 6mm holes out in the sump, ready to install longer studs for the thicker sump Plate.
The Oil Pick Up Pipe / Tube fell to the floor! 😠 With another case on the bench, I tried to familiarise myself with the location of the Oil Gallery. Multiple attempts to relocate the Pipe failed !! Where to now? 🤔
Not Good.
Cheers Jay

Jay
You must have pushed it a very long way out of alignment. Nobody said it wouldn't fall out if you did that.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jay Darlington »

i would say now you're going to have to remove the third piece and fix it. the chance of poking it back in and getting it through the oring without damage sounds slim to me. ( never have tried it). if i remember right the hole for the o-ring is beveled as to swage the o-ring to the pipe holding it in place. ( i could be wrong, i have been before). i was concerned about this when i assembled my engine, i massaged the pipe some but its really the o-ring that holds it in place along with the screen.
Jay D.
jay darlington

John Clarke
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Clarke »

Thanks Cliffy 😁
It moved, It fell out. It wasn't removed.
It never felt like there was any resistance ( Like an O Ring in Place)
!
Where to now? Removal of 3rd piece Timing Case. What starts as a simple maintenance procedure and Sump Plate Upgrade turns into a Nightmare.
Jay

John Clarke
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Clarke »

I call this a 'Hobby' but at my age, it just gives me the Arse! Like lots of stuff. If it ain't broke, Don't fix it !
Don't want to feal this way about the 356. It's been a long time, effort and money to get the car back on the road. Like a lot of small projects, they sometimes turn into a monster
problem. Took it to Hedingham at the weekend and it performed brilliantly on the journeys. Now I can't use it. From an old pissed off Curmudgeon ☹️

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#12 Post by Wes Bender »

Almost sounds as if it was installed without the O-ring. It's just a minor setback, Jay. Consider each of these things as a new learning experience.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

John Clarke
356 Fan

#13 Post by John Clarke »

Thanks Wes.
Will now start to strip out the 3rd Piece / Timing Cover . This Cover was removed by the workshop when the Shasta 86mm Barrels and Pistons were installed, to install the Oldham Coupling Mod to the Cam Drive to the Oil Pump.
Thanks for your support Wes.
Regards Jay.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#14 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Clarification on the O-ring. It does not start out beveled; it has a circular cross-section. The "beveling" develops over time.
It is the same O-ring as the head bolt O-rings.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#15 Post by John Clarke »

That is a Poxy design of location for the main Oil Feed to the Oil Pump . I thought that the width of the sump flange stopped any real movement and could only be removed when the case was split. Only located by an oil screen mesh and Relying on just an O ring isn't a good enough design! That O ring can split or perish with the heat. The 3rd piece is still in place. I wonder if there is even an O ring installed. We will see.
Jay