Door Window modification?

For those who couldn't care less how their 356 left the factory!
Adam Grosser
356 Fan

Door Window modification?

#1 Post by Adam Grosser »

Does anyone know if it is possible to modify a 356B T6 (1963) to use the single window from the 356 A? I am not worried about fabricating the metal - just curious if the glass shape will work or if I have to make my own custom glass. I would like to remove the vent windows from this build - the lines will be cleaner.

All (constructive) responses gratefully accepted!

thank you forum members for your knowledge and expertise!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Door Window modification?

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Adam I think it will boil down to the differences in dimensions of the doors. It sounds simple enough. Replace the vent window door frame with the A frame, change the window regulator and glass. If, BIG IF, the dimensions allow the change and possibly the location of the window crank.
Hopefully someone who has done this will weigh in.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#3 Post by Jim Breazeale »

adam grosser wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:24 pm Does anyone know if it is possible to modify a 356B T6 (1963) to use the single window from the 356 A? I am not worried about fabricating the metal - just curious if the glass shape will work or if I have to make my own custom glass. I would like to remove the vent windows from this build - the lines will be cleaner.

All (constructive) responses gratefully accepted!

thank you forum members for your knowledge and expertise!
Adam

Yes, it can be done. You will need a pair of frames from a T2 (58 or 59) 356A, the door glass and the channel on the bottom of the glass. You will need to remove a piece of sheetmetal at the top of the door shell that supports the vent window. The window regulators will not need to be changed. Contact, fellow member, Mike Moss for detailed instructions.
Note: 57 and earlier window frames will not work without delicate modification due to placement of the captive nuts on the rear of the frame.

Regards

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Adam Grosser
356 Fan

#4 Post by Adam Grosser »

Thank you so much. Swap completed with minimal hassle

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor