Acid Dipping for paint/corrosion removal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Aidan King
356 Fan

Acid Dipping for paint/corrosion removal

#1 Post by Aidan King »

Hello All,
I would like to get opinions on the process of acid dipping to remove paint/corrosion prior to restoration. Are there any known issues, good or bad, which members have encountered when using this process for 356 restorations.
Many Thanks.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Acid Dipping for paint/corrosion removal

#2 Post by Larry Brooks »

Friend did it years ago. Huge mistake. Followed all of the recommended follow-up with neutralizing dips, rinse, etc. Had the car painted twice due to chemicals leaching out from seams into paint, destroying it. He sold the car quickly after second repaint and sure enough got an angry call after a few months from the buyer. They had the car completely stripped again and had the follow-up done again. Third paint job lasted 6 months before leaching happened again, less than before, but still destroyed paint job.

Soda blast, dry ice and even nutshell media are much better options.

George Krompecher
356 Fan

#3 Post by George Krompecher »

I had 2 911s dipped. First one in 1998.
Never an issue

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#4 Post by Jim Liberty »

I never dip a car. Remove paint the old fashioned way. Did it once, NEVER again. ...........Jim.
Jim Liberty

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm with Jim. I've worked on cars that were media blasted. That stuff gets everywhere and is a real mess when you are trying to run cables and wiring.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jay Darlington »

i used a company in Portland OR. called Redi-Strip several years ago, i'm not sure they are still there. but they use an alkaline electrolysis dip i believe. very nice work and very nice to work with. the metal was very clean but i did notice some leaching from pinch welds. this would easily brush off. its not an acid solution and i never had any problems with it. they also zinc phosphated all of the parts and setting in my shop for years they never had any rust, (damp Oregon coast.)
https://redi-strip.com/about-us/
Jay D.
jay darlington

John Brooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Brooks »

I use a dual action sander, I would not media blast or dip a car. Both are too hard to clean up after the process. Sanding takes about the number of days, but I know what’s there when I am done. Eastwood keeps showing me a scotch bright roller on a grinder motor. Thinking about trying one.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jay Darlington »

John, i use a air sander with a foam interface pad and 8" 36 grit. i can strip a porsche coupe if everything is removed in about 3 hours or less. i start with the jambs and use an 3" angle sander then use paint remover where i cant get with the 3"abrasive pads. then wile the paint remover is working i hit the outside with the 36 grit then an 8" 80 grit then finish with 6" 80 grit on a D/A .
Jay D.
jay darlington

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

I don't know if I would do it, but watching these guys videos is fun, and there are Porsches being dipped. They charge $3000.

https://www.facebook.com/3schemicals/
Attachments
dip.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.