A Sad Tale

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

Re: A Sad Tale

#31 Post by Patrick Ertel »

Martin Benade wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:33 am We’re they all in balance end for end too?
It doesn't look like it. They did some sanding on the small ends of all but one of them.
Patrick Ertel

Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

#32 Post by Patrick Ertel »

Al,
I'm working with two shops, George Montgomery and another one I won't name. The no-name did the all the work because George is getting on in years and didn't feel up to it. After they finished I took the rods and case to George to check the dimensions. The machinist did good work, but I wasn't happy with what he told me about the case bores. For one thing, he only gave me one number for each bore. George did a more thorough job and found the center main was .0005 oversize horizontally and at the limit vertically. He said, "Build it." I called an experienced 356 engine builder who likewise said, "Build it." So I'm going to build it as is. I'm bracing for the brickbats to fly (I've already been taken to task for not using the fuel tap), but I'm not proud - or scared.
Last edited by Patrick Ertel on Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Ertel

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

Patrick, the one unsanded small end is probably the lightest one and the rest were sanded down to match it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#34 Post by Mike Horton »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:55 pm Patrick, the one unsanded small end is probably the lightest one and the rest were sanded down to match it.
+1
Mike

Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

#35 Post by Patrick Ertel »

Martin Benade wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:55 pm Patrick, the one unsanded small end is probably the lightest one and the rest were sanded down to match it.
Of course.
Patrick Ertel

Patrick Ertel
356 Fan

#36 Post by Patrick Ertel »

It's been a long time since I followed up on this story.
I want to thank Martin Benade with his help finding a good, matched set of rods. I also want to thank Dick Weiss for his advice, George Montgomery for his advice and general help, and the whole 356 discussion board for the valuable information I was able to find here.
The engine is back in the car and purring like a kitten. While was out I had the carbs, fuel pump, and distributor rebuilt by professionals. It cost a few bucks but was worth every penny. Even though the engine has only about 12,000 miles on it I installed new bearings and sold the old NPR P&Cs and installed a set of AAs. It wasn't necessary, but as they say "while you are in there." While it was out I had the sheet metal powder coated. I went to the wrong place, as he didn't do a very good job. I need to find a source for powder coating somewhere near Dayton, Ohio before I tear into my Speedster engine.
Next up is installation of a dual master cylinder and replacement of all the brake lines - then drive, drive, drive.
Oh, and I need some kind of warning device to remind me to turn the damn fuel tap to Zu.
Last edited by Patrick Ertel on Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick Ertel

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#37 Post by Jon Schmid »

Patrick Ertel wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:43 pm Oh, and I need some kind of warning device to remind me to turn the damn fuel tap to Zu.
I need one of those to tell me when to turn it "off" Zu... :P

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#38 Post by Wes Bender »

Patrick, it's just a habit that you have to develop. I have a certain signpost about four blocks from the house that is my "trigger". So much so that I've even been known to reach for a non-existent fuel petcock in the Tacoma. Harder to remember when you are shutting down away from your home digs, but I remember most of the time.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#39 Post by Martin Benade »

Happy to hear it all went well. I have about two miles on my new engine, I followed a similar path, but carbs, pump, distributor and generator rebuilt by amateurs (me), and spray can paint job. But real cad plating on all the hardware.
Wes, your car will run four blocks with the fuel off, and get home fume-free?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#40 Post by David Jones »

I have come to the conclusion that turning the fuel off when parking is mandatory on cars with Zenith carbs and internal fuel fill caps and especially so if the tank is full. It seems that the Zenith carbs suffer from leaking float valves more so than Solex's. My cars are all in a separate garage so fuel smell is not a concern so as long as I remember to turn the fuel off before I walk away from the car I am OK.
Remembering is key.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#41 Post by Wes Bender »

Martin Benade wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:21 pm Happy to hear it all went well. I have about two miles on my new engine, I followed a similar path, but carbs, pump, distributor and generator rebuilt by amateurs (me), and spray can paint job. But real cad plating on all the hardware.
Wes, your car will run four blocks with the fuel off, and get home fume-free?
Yup. Matter of fact it's almost 4-1/2 blocks. Remember, I have a running start, but not too fast because there's a sharp jog across a cattle guard in there. The last two blocks are down a very slight decline. The only time it gets critical is when the garage door opener forgets the code. The engine starts to slow as I'm pulling into the garage. The Zeniths are pretty efficient when tuned properly. I'm running the stock 130 mains at 3000' elevation. It went even farther when I was running 125s. I do it more to reduce the fuel boilover after shutdown that stinks up the garage. That, and as I said I would rather use the fuel in the engine than let it just evaporate.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#42 Post by Bill Lawless »

Wes Bender wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:31 pm This is the primary reason that I shut off the fuel petcock about four blocks prior to arriving back at the house. The engine is just getting ready to stall as I pull in. There's a secondary reason too. I don't like residue from evaporated fuel in the carbs. I suppose a third reason is that I get to burn all of my expensive gas in the engine rather than letting very much of it evaporate.
Morning Wes, I was thinking about doing it like this also but I have an electric fuel pump and I thought it might be bad for the pump to stay running with the gas shut off..
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Bob Slayden
356 Fan

#43 Post by Bob Slayden »

I put the keys on top of the dash after I turn the petcock to "zu" (off.) This gives me a visual if I forget and I will also remember to turn it on before starting the engine the next time. Has worked for me for many years.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#44 Post by Paul Ahnell »

#37 Post by Jon Schmid » July 5th, 2022, 5:00 pm

Patrick Ertel wrote: ↑July 5th, 2022, 4:43 pm
Oh, and I need some kind of warning device to remind me to turn the damn fuel tap to Zu.
I need one of those to tell me when to turn it "off" Zu... :P

Certainly not concurs, but I find a small strip of masking tape with ZU written on it and placed between the Speedo & Tach or above the radio is pretty effective reminder. Easy on/easy off. Great conversation piece with the uninitiated as in "Hey, what's that for?".
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#45 Post by Bill Lawless »

Reading about the warning to remember to turn on/off...
I had my B with about a gallon of gas in the oil one day... That got me "learning" quite fast, like clockwork, on drive off park..
Plus my wife always tells me, did you turn on-off the PetCock, I think she just like to say that word!!!
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350