Tool Bag Colors

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Tool Bag Colors

#1 Post by Steve Douglas »

I was going thru my A/B tool bags and would like to get feedback on what they are. Top is original Blue bag from 1960, next is a 1962 B ???, the third one is from a 56 or early 57 ??, and the last is the green repro back from 20 years ago. Would like some expert input. I have looked at Eric's website but still sure about the two "middle ones". Thanks in advance.
Tool Bags.jpeg
Tool Bags.jpeg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 2006 times

Victor Ingram
356 Fan

Re: Tool Bag Colors

#2 Post by Victor Ingram »

Steve,
You might want to post some pics of the bags fully open as well as pictures of the strap and the backs of the bags,
it may help with the responses.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Douglas »

Victor, Thanks for ideas, the website went down for couple of days just after I posted it so many didn't get it in their digest. May get some more responses now that things are semi-back and running.
All are similar shape, size and 7 pocket. The green back is a repro, I bought from Stoddard at the LA Lit. meet years ago, the blue one came in an original 60 coupe that was wrecked and parted out abut 30 years ago. The two in the middle came from a friends estate sale, my friend had over the years: a 55 Coupe, a 56 Speedster, a 59 Coupe and a 63 C Cab, so the upper grey bag really doesn't match any of those cars, and the smooth grained bag could have been from the 54-55 or the 56 Speedster. Eric Cherneff's site shows close ups of the vinyl but the two middle ones aren't a match. The blue bag has the normal black leather belt, the the Grey and Green ones both have medium grained brown leather belt and the smooth grained greenish bag has a very coupe grained reddish brown belt.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joris Koning »

Steve,

The grey bag is a 62 bag I believe. Sure some of the tool experts will chime in.

Joris
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Douglas »

Joris, That is what Im thinking, it is very similar to my friend's 62 roadster kit, with the blonde screwdrivers, hubcap puller and "Porsche" wrenches. Could be a repro, thanks for the input. The other grey bag with smooth grain is old, but year is unknown, I know that some have said that in 56 there was a one year only bag, that was grayish.
Thanks, Steve

Jesse Rodriguez
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jesse Rodriguez »

Good morning Steve, Happy New Year.

# 2 bag: I believe the second bag may be a '58-'59 tool bag. I am very familiar with the 1956 bags but the grain and color gives the impression of being a later A bag. The '56 strap is very unique and much different than other year bags in texture and the pointed end of the strap.

# 3 bag: I believe is for a '62. It appears identical to my '62 bags. It should have a similar strap as the '61 # 1 above but somewhat a different color.
I am No expert but that's my opinion when compared to my bags.
Regards,
Jesse

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Douglas »

Jesse, I have had some more input since I posted it back in Sept. '20. In my photo the bottom is a repro Green A bag, the next one up is a grey that is an original very late A or early B, basically '59-60. Then the grey one is a 62 bag most likely a repro, and blue one is an original 60-61 B bag. The grayish A/B bag is pretty rare from what people have said, not the standard set by Stoddard years ago. Thinking back, I sort of remember that the grey B bag was only in certain and maybe earlier T-6 - 62 cars. The D'Leteren Roadsters had the grey bag with the Porsche wrenches, blonde screwdrivers and hub cap puller. Didn't most regular 62-63 Bs had the smaller string tie kits?

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Bag #2 is just like the one in my '62. Victor Ingram pointed me toward the following tool web site: http://www.OriginalPorscheTOOLS.com
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Jim Morris
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Morris »

Was there ever a red bag? If so, when?

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Douglas »

There were red canvas bags for early Pre A 54 and earlier, I think. See www.356tool.com. There are red vinyl travel kits for the A models. Sometimes the red canvas Mercedes Benz tool bags get passed off as Porsche

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by James Davies »

Red/maroon canvas bags were mid-1953 and earlier.

Jim Morris
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Morris »

So, no red vinyl bags? A well-known site dealing with tools shows a red bag among C series bags.

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Douglas »

There were several colors that came as original C bags: Black, White, Grey, a reddish brown, dark brown, and even a dark green, but not a bright red.

Jim Morris
356 Fan

#14 Post by Jim Morris »

Seems settled in opinions. But I wonder where that red bag came from in the section for C bags shown in http://www.originalporschetools.com/ I have one of identical appearance but unknown provenance. Thanks Steve Douglas and other commenters.

John Wurner
356 Fan

#15 Post by John Wurner »

The blue bag is 60-61 as mentioned.
I am looking for one of those.