front license plate

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: front license plate

#16 Post by Brad Ripley »

Mike, move out of LaLa Land over to Nevada where there's no sales tax on private party car sales nor state income tax.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#17 Post by Mike Wilson »

Too far from the beach, Brad! Ha!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#18 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Thank goodness Florida does not require a front plate. I really think it detracts from the style of the car.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

I totally agree, Mark. I fabricated a mount that I can easlity attach the front plate to if stopped. "Oh! I forgot to put it back on after I detailed the car. I can put it on right now in less than a minute!" Front plate in the trunk if needed.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dave Erickson »

Mike Wilson wrote:A search of California's vehicle code indicates no provision for cars without a front plate mounting location. Simply, two plates are issued and two must be displayed, front and rear.
Yes, but what percentage of 356's licensed in California have the front plates mounted? I think it is pretty low. I drove my 64 for 15 years without a front plate and was never stopped by the CHP. What is the risk, a fix-it ticket?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#21 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've driven my current 356 since 1999 without a front plate and never been stopped for it but I've heard some cities enforce it. Way back in the day, early '70's, I was heading towards the Sierras for a backpacking trip in my '58 coupe. A CHP pulled up behind me then passed then dropped back behind me and hit me with the lights. He saw the backpack, asked where I was going, etc. and then asked where my front plate was. I told him I didn't think you were supposed to display it if it was beat up. "Show me." I actually had it in the trunk so I showed him the beat up black plate. "Well, when you get back home, you can swap them for the new blue plates. Have a nice trip." Of course, I didn't swap them out and they went with the car to the next owner. Funny, though, the car has never resurfaced.....
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#22 Post by Dave Erickson »

Mike, good story. I wouldn't have been so lucky. My 64 had its front plate stolen during a visit to a body shop in 1990, so I only have the one plate.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've been lucky. Aside from my license plate stop, the only other time was by a local officer for my Euro tail lights. He said the brake lights need to be red. I thanked him and said I have some red lenses at home that I can swap out. Once home, I researched the topic. He was in error. The California Vehicle Code essentially states that up to a certain year (1974 I think), you can have whatever the car originally came with. I keep a copy of the CVC section in my glove box but haven't been stopped since (knock on wood!)
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#24 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Australian cars must have front and rear plates. Mine were painted on. They were quite old and from South Australia. I made the decision to leave them there and fit my new plates (another State) "TYP356" on using the holes under the front bumper and at the rear with some decent 3M tape. So both front and rear vintage 'plates' are there for posterity.

I have covered the "SA" part to not confuse our extremely valuable speed cameras.

Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Helge Tielker
356 Fan
Instagram: www.instagram.com/helge356/

#25 Post by Helge Tielker »

Guys, thanks to you all and the idea's - I will quick fix it for now (cause we have to have a front license plate) but I will take a look on the pieces Jon Bunin has shown us (even Stoddard writes for cars starting 356C) .
Thanks for sharing information and ideas.
356 B Coupe 12/59 ruby red/ black
"REDMAXX"
356 C Coupe 64 BaliBlue
(under restoration)

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#26 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Mike Wilson wrote:Too far from the beach, Brad! Ha!
Hey Mike, I live at Rat Beach up from Torrance Beach.
You'll have to stop by sometime and check out the 53 project buried in the garage.
Martin

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#27 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hey, Martin! I remember seeing your car quite a while ago. Send me a PM with your address we'll coordinate a meeting of the Porsches.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#28 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Or you could mount a front badge bar and attach the plate to it.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#29 Post by Thomas Sottile »

I havent had the front plate on in years on my 356 and traveled all over the country never had a problem however riding my Tesla in Mass, I was stoped by a trooper on a very busy highway and scolded you think he would not waist his time and mine not to mention the danger of getting hit,

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#30 Post by Eric McKinley »

Helge, you could make this for a few dollars, and use the original holes in the bumper to mount it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44825&hilit=number+plate