Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Justin Rio
356 Fan

Re: Late 1959 S/R coupe project # 108625

#16 Post by Justin Rio »

Left door bottom:
IMG_5573.JPG
Drilling out the old spots for removal.
IMG_5574.JPG
Removed in one piece exposing a very crusty inner flange.
IMG_5575.JPG
Old and new: relief shapes are a little tighter on the new one.
IMG_5576.JPG
Same with the center with two pre-punched holes to backfill.
IMG_5577.JPG
I'll add in other correct details as it goes but I'm not sure if I'll soften the shoulders because once these are mounted and finished they'll be hard to see.
IMG_5578.JPG
Wasn't sure if I was going to get away with just a clean up and save some of this flange but its too far gone.
IMG_5579.JPG
Needed to come up with a hammer form to make that sweeping turn. This old piece of tubing had just the right OD.
IMG_5581.JPG
Cut free except for that shaped relief center section. I have to figure out how I'm going to replicate that later.
IMG_5582.JPG
New forward section.
IMG_5583.JPG
Repeated test fitting and fine trimming.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#17 Post by Justin Rio »

left inner flange repair continued:
IMG_5584.JPG
All stitched in with new access hole punched. Some excess yet to trim on the edge but not ready to commit.
IMG_5586.JPG
Rear section next then onto that center relief shape.
IMG_5587.JPG
New Rear section.
IMG_5588.JPG
trimmed to fit and all tacked in. Leading edge still needs trimming but that will be one of the last chores to complete.
IMG_5589.JPG
Final center section of this flange now cut free. Now to figure out how to copy this semi-complex portion.
IMG_5591.JPG
Lower flange rolled in first then the hunt for a hammer form with just the right width was next. As luck would have it the angle iron on my table base was just the right width.
IMG_5590.JPG
After a few rounds of heat and doming the ends with my ball ping a promising shape was starting.
IMG_5592.JPG
Next was to pound in the arched relief found in the lower flange for drainage/strength.
IMG_5593.JPG
New section and what was left of the old to copy from.
IMG_5594.JPG
Basic part complete. Now onto to trimming and final installation.
More later...
Thanks for looking.

Justin

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dave Erickson »

Very nice fabrication work, Justin. Thanks for showing the details.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#19 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you very much Dave, just another thread to detail what went into fixing this rusty car.

Left door flange repair continued:
IMG_5595.JPG
Next working it in by heating and welding as it went.
IMG_5596.JPG
All stitched in here.
IMG_5597.JPG
The arch flares a bit so I wanted to make sure the eventual door bottom flange will clear represented by this piece. No issues.
IMG_5598.JPG
Excess removed with flange trimmed to final width.
IMG_5600.JPG
Just a little more stitching to finish up.
IMG_5602.JPG
More bending and manipulation as the bottom goes on for sure but this new flange at least exists now.
IMG_5601.JPG
Several more repairs yet to go but it was a little closer.
IMG_5611.JPG
Heading up the sides now. I was going to replace this lower wall section as a complete run but the inner rot is very localized so I decided on just small repair patches to save as much of the original as possible.
IMG_5620.JPG
tedious small patches but ready for a final stitching in.
IMG_5621.JPG
Now onto paper templating a new forward closing wall section.

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#20 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

Always enjoying seeing nice metal shaping ! Please continue sharing, really interesting!

Antoine

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#21 Post by Justin Rio »

Thank you so much Antione, will do...
IMG_5623.JPG
Once I get that lower forward strip section built I can begin fitting the new bottom.
IMG_5624.JPG
Fresh steel instantly changed the outlook even though it still wasn't even close to being ready to reassemble.
IMG_5626.JPG
Paper template completed and now onto steel. I'm recycling portions of the original door skin and using it to make my repair patches when possible. I prefer making structural repairs out of this stuff not because its old German steel but because its 19 gauge and the new parts feel more substantial than the 20 gauge I'd have to make them out of otherwise.
IMG_5627.JPG
New section cut free, fine trimmed and now dialing in the bend points.
IMG_5629.JPG
After a few failed attempts I had all the breaks in but the outer flange bend. I can add that in later once its tacked into position.
IMG_5630.JPG
This outer corner is a very wide/soft radius so the handle of a breaker bar was just the right OD to fold it over.
IMG_5631.JPG
Acid bath coming up next to clean up the remaining surface just before I can glue this in.
IMG_5634.JPG
Plug weld holes punched ad ready to install after the remaining surface rust is removed.
IMG_5633.JPG
Began the templates for the flaps that extended off of the bottom originally. The final layer of steel.
IMG_5635.JPG
I have this crusty door section floating around loose which helped me with those flap templates.
Acid bath was next.

Thanks for looking.
Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#22 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_5637.JPG
Acid bath
IMG_5638.JPG
Most of the old rust dissolved but not all of it, Needed a little more time to get the last bits.
IMG_5641.JPG
Last of the rust cleaned with the acid thoroughly neutralized I began stitching in the new patch.
IMG_5654.JPG
All welded up with plugs and seam welds dressed.
IMG_5656.JPG
The exposed portion of this patch will clean up quick. Almost ready to begin fitting the new bottom.
IMG_5658.JPG
In preparation for that I Picked out the last of the original door bottom flange tucked under the vertical runs. Front above
IMG_5659.JPG
Then onto peeling out the rear.
IMG_5660.JPG
All clean and the last of the remnants that needed removal.
IMG_5661.JPG
Officially touched bottom as far as removal or deconstruction went. Everything from here on in would be building the door back up.
IMG_5662.JPG
Begin locating and rough fitting the new door bottom. More on that next.

Thanks for stopping by.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#23 Post by Justin Rio »

dialing in the bottom:
IMG_5665.JPG
To help me with the fore and aft adjustment I mocked up the door frame with its footings.
IMG_5664.JPG
Also gave me a chance to figure out if Trevor's prepunched holes where going to work with this frame or if I'd be filling these and drilling new ones.
IMG_5663.JPG
The holes would work just fine and I now had my baseline orientation to work from.
IMG_5666.JPG
cautiously trimming back the excess.
IMG_5667.JPG
Rough cuts though as I left a touch extra for the unexpected adjustment as fitting continues.
IMG_5668.JPG
Inner flange not only too long but also too tall.
IMG_5669.JPG
Removed 20mm's in sections to more closely match the original.
IMG_5670.JPG
Initial trimming complete here and onto fitting the forward tray area under the hinge next.
IMG_5672.JPG
While adjusting for lateral fitment I almost mindlessly set the bottom flange for level up front here like you're supposed to do at the back. Luckily I realized that there has to be a relief step in it to accommodate that leading edge flange in the skin. Metal ruler laying on top represents the eventual skin and how much the bottom flange must rise up to meet it.
IMG_5673.JPG
Relief isn't perfect but its close enough for now. Original section laid over top to compare that needed step.

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#24 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

👍👍👍

Antoine

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#25 Post by Justin Rio »

IMG_5674.JPG
With the inner flange set I have an issue on the opposite side. The inner flange overshoots the door by about 6mm.
IMG_5675.JPG
At about the midpoint back the flange sits nice and flush against the door. This means that the trajectory of the bend was set just a touch too wide; at least for this particular application. Left it for now and will adjust later.
IMG_5677.JPG
Templated and folded the inner pan to further lock in the outer established lower flange.
IMG_5678.JPG
New mount flange a little short as this is where Trevor made the cut but I'll tack on a little more length later.
IMG_5679.JPG
Double checked my relief step at the lower edge and all is well enough.
IMG_5680.JPG
Again this forward overshoot will have to fixed but later.
IMG_5681.JPG
Length added and final tab shapes trimmed in to replicate what was originally there.
IMG_5682.JPG
After a bit more fine trimming I had the entire piece clamped into near final position. Time to add in a few set screws next.
IMG_5687.JPG
Initial set screwed position. As tightening went some torsional force seemed present so I mounted it back on the car to see how much it was possibly changing on me.
IMG_5683.JPG
Also mocked up the window frame to see how it was still going to clear the opening. So far so good.
More later...

Thanks for looking.

Justin

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#26 Post by Justin Rio »

Left door repair Cont.
IMG_5684.JPG
Window frame confirmation fit into the body. Almost the same as before.
IMG_5685.JPG
This also confirmed that the bottom and the embossed areas are at the right height to work with the frame and its footings.
IMG_5690.JPG
A flush fit at the base with the right approach angle; Going smoothly so far BTW: notice the right side door in the background. Its clearly going to be a repeat.
IMG_5689.JPG
Same at the rear mount footing as well.
IMG_5686.JPG
so far so good and now time to break it all back down...
IMG_5688.JPG
and fix this fitment issue along this forward corner so I can get this bottom welded in for good.
IMG_5691.JPG
Need to quicken this bend about this much...
IMG_5692.JPG
Chalked up and ready to adjust. Thought about just cutting and welding it back up but I prefer to keep panels in one piece if I can help it.
IMG_5693.JPG
Used some heat so I wouldn't have to beat the holy hell out of it to get it to move; Easier on everybody this way.
IMG_5694.JPG
New bend line well established here but I stopped short as my initial hammer form is too sharp. The final bend is much softer so my search for a closer shape began so I could finish heeling this over.

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#27 Post by Justin Rio »

More left door bottom install
IMG_5695.JPG
This length angle iron had really nice soft radius edge. Amazes me sometimes that I have just enough junk in this tiny shop to get me by.
IMG_5697.JPG
That turned the trick: done...
IMG_5696.JPG
Now onto finishing out the remaining loose ends so I can get this new bottom welded in.
IMG_5699.JPG
Loose ends= Finishing out that looong seam weld finally.
IMG_5700.JPG
These twin prepunched holes in the center of the bottom are not for an A-car; must be a T5 or 6 thing so now was as good a time as any to back fill them.
IMG_5702.JPG
Plug weld holes punched and all other loose ends complete. These two are finally ready.
IMG_5704.JPG
Started welding up front. After clamping the hinge down I fully welded up the ends of the old pins to fully secure them once again.
IMG_5706.JPG
As a final finishing detail I took a pair of washer and plug welded them on to replicate the old heads.
IMG_5710.JPG
Just a touch larger than the Originals but once the new skin goes on they won't be viewable again.
IMG_5733.JPG
Then moved to the outside and plug welded along the length of the flange and also started gas welding up the edges as they were done before.

More to follow and thanks for looking.

Justin

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#28 Post by Kevin Wills »

High quality work, Justin. Looking good.

Puygranier Antoine
356 Fan

#29 Post by Puygranier Antoine »

Fantastic save of the door!

Antoine

Justin Rio
356 Fan

#30 Post by Justin Rio »

Thanks very much Kevin. Just trying to replicate its original construction as closely as I can.

The door wasn't quite out of the woods just yet Antoine but things were looking up.
Thanks again guys.
Justin

Left door bottom continued:
IMG_5735.JPG
More seam welding details replicated to the rear. All flange plug welds dressed and followed up with my spotter for final detail at the lap joint.
IMG_5737.JPG
No more and no less on the spots for the best authentic repair I can do.
IMG_5738.JPG
Inner pan flange to bottom all welded up. Originally there were just 5 spot welds widely spaced holding this together here. I put extra plug welds in for added attachment points for strength but replicated just the 5 spot welds for an original detail.
IMG_5739.JPG
Back corner fully gas welded up and the small repair patches on the wall finished out.
IMG_5740.JPG
Forward gas weld details in and replicated what was there originally.
IMG_5741.JPG
Leading lower edge repair section also seam welded up as found.
IMG_5742.JPG
Officially done welding and repairing the door shell frame.
IMG_5744.JPG
A ways yet to go but its now ready to accept a new skin.
IMG_5745.JPG
Begin rough fitments.
IMG_5750.JPG
Original skin laid over top of the new one here in preparation of cutting the cap off. Only an initial cut with plenty of excess overlap to ensure I left myself with enough to deal with any unforseen adjustments as this goes. The last thing I need is to be short and have to weld more length back on.
More on this stage coming up next.

Thanks for looking.

Justin