1959 Cabriolet Readying for Road

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
KennethAdams
356 Fan

1959 Cabriolet Readying for Road

#1 Post by KennethAdams »

Weeks 1 and 2
- Flush Fuel Tank, Clean Fuelcock, Flush Fuel line, Replace Fuel filter, Replace old Cracked Fuel Line
- Remove Carbs, Pull and Inspect Plugs -regap, Prelube Cylinders, Rotate Crankshaft
- Replace Fuel Pump cap gasket, clean pump screen,
- Open Zeniths, rinse float bowl, clean jets, fill float bowl, replace leaking o-ring on Jet cover
- remount Carbs, check fuel at both banjos, clean battery connectors, mount new battery
- recheck firing order and plug wires, loosen distributor, clean cap,
- get out fire extinguisher, - twist key, fires right up, pops some and adjust distributor fixes
- notice continuing green dash light and shut it down,
- check for oil and fuel leaks, contemplate why oil spitting some out exhaust
- begin research on wiring of oil pressure, oil temp and charging gauges

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: 1959 Cabriolet Readying for Road

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

That's probably water/soot coming out of the tailpipe; not oil.
Welcome aboard.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

The oil pressure switch is a likely reason for the oil light being on. After years of disuse a new one will not come amiss. Your local parts store will have one for $5 to $10. Ask for one to fit a VW bug.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

KennethAdams
356 Fan

#4 Post by KennethAdams »

Vic - my concern had always been how the rings would fair after the rebuild some 20 years later. Bill Shorman (Lukes and Shorman) did it in 1991 and the car never actually hit the road after that. He rebuilt the engine with used and rehoned 911 jugs and stronger rods. The pulled plugs did look about equally sooted - not terrible really. I kinda wondered over the years if the rings actually ever seated and what sort of fatigue 20 year would cause. It really purred like a kitten when it started so I'm hopeful it is as you suggested - just soot and water. Shorman also rebuilt the transmission too. Do you happen to know if the transmission mainshaft still spins if its out of gear? Just want to make sure it has sufficient lube if it does. Thx for the welcome

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The transmission mainshaft is always spinning if the engine is running and the clutch is not pushed in.