12 volt conversion

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Steve V Graham
356 Fan

12 volt conversion

#1 Post by Steve V Graham »

Can anyone give me an idea of a budget for converting my 6 volt 356 to 12 volt version? General ball park.
Thanks
SteveG

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Re: 12 volt conversion

#2 Post by Greg Bryan »

Steve - welcome the the forums!
If you plan to do the work yourself, there is probably $1500-2000 in parts. Finding the small diameter 90mm generator is getting more and more difficult and probably expensive if you do find one. The more common large body generator used on VWs and late 912s (420watt) are cheaper to buy but requires finding a late 912 generator stand and the parts where it mates to the fan housing, so that's not cheap either. Three or four companies are making kits to use a VW alternator for about 6-800 dollars. I am working on a 912 build and I will go this way on that car as I want a high output alternator.
The WOSP gear reduction starter is about $250-300 and cranks the motor faster than anything else. There was a problem with a batch some years ago where the pinion wasn't engaging with the ring gear deeply enough which still dogs its reputation, but that issue has been corrected.
New AGM battery is $250-300
There are voltage reducers for retaining the 6V gauges and and windshield wiper and clock. Change all the bulbs,
I am finally converting my 65 SC to 12V mainly for the extra starting power with a hot engine and several other reasons - better/brighter lights without the added complication of relays, being able to use modern electronics, and so on.
I did an article on 6 to 12 volt conversion for the Registry magazine some years ago - it's in Vol. 41-1, 5/6 2017 which is available under the Magazine tab on the web site.
Good luck!
Greg Bryan

Trond Vidar
356 Fan

Re: 12 volt conversion

#3 Post by Trond Vidar »

Steve, welcome I think Gregs answer describe it all but I will add a little from "the other side of the pond".

You can always consider an alternator "upgrade". Powerlite-Units and WOSP have Dynalite/Dynator. Powerlite will modify your original stand for free if you send it to them. I have a "WOSP Dynator" in my E-type and a "Powerlite Dynalite" going in to the Big-Healey, the weight is approx 3 kilo and they are machined from aluminum and with a small Denso alternator built into the original style housing.
'56A coupe & '63B coupe