Thomas A. Arima's Project Car

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Bruce Smith
356 Fan

Re: What the Fuchs?

#301 Post by Bruce Smith »

I stopped feeling sorry for this guy a while ago. Let's move on.
Bruce Smith

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#302 Post by Mike Wilson »

Gentlemen: the facts are these:
This shop has zero experience with the 356. I wouldn't let them even wash my car.
Thomas has been given copious advice but ignores it.
Thomas is not knowledgeable enough about the 356 to guide the shop through this "restoration".

We are beating a dead horse. It's time to bury it...

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bil Brown
356 Fan

#303 Post by Bil Brown »

I agree......and Mike....you`ve contributed 10 comment to this troll thread!....STOP COMMENTING!
Last edited by Bil Brown on Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Brown

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#304 Post by Mike Wilson »

Like many of us, we have tried to help Thomas. That's what we as Registry members do. However, whether Thomas, you are just trolling us or unable to comprehend the lunacy of continuing to deal with this shop is at this point inconsequential.

You need to stop asking us for advice because it is painfully obvious you are unwilling and incapable of following any of it. We are not here as a quasi-Facebook platform for your entertainment. In short, you need to stop asking us questions and soliciting advice as it has become an exercise in futility.

We wish you all the best in this process but, there is no reason to continue to respond to your posts.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#305 Post by Jules Dielen »

THOMAS, BUY THE REPRO FUCHS WHEELS BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE SNATCHES THEM FROM UNDER YOUR NOSE!!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#306 Post by Wes Bender »

Oh oh, wait until Al sees that!
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#307 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Wes Bender wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:26 pm Oh oh, wait until Al sees that!
:D :)
They have probably already sold his original wheels.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#308 Post by Bruce Smith »

Ron says troll, I say just as likely a scam. This guys says he's been a member since at least 1990, but his profile says he joined in March 2021. Mike says Thomas A. Arima is 73 years old and lives in a condo in Oahu, but it'd be simple to post here as someone else. The guy claims he doesn't even have a parking place, so where is he planning to put his car when it's done? Look at what and how he writes. He's not stupid. This isn't a 73 year old Porsche 356 lover living in Hawaii. Jay may be the closest, guessing the guys running the repair shop are on meth. But I think the guy posting as Thomas A. Arima is as likely the tweaker. How about this scenario. Some of us buy into this act and thinks this poor soul is being taken advantage of. Then Thomas A. Arima, frustrated and with few options left, decides that he needs to sell his car and is willing to let it go real cheap. Who's going to be suckered? Any other possible scenarios? Are the guys at the shop the ones behind this? Sure, there's entertainment value in keeping this going. But the warnings should go only to those reading this nonsense. And what will it take to offend Thomas A. Arima, if he hasn't been offended yet?
Bruce Smith

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#309 Post by Martin Benade »

I doubt if that’s the story because typically if you are selling a car you don’t make it common knowledge that the shop working on it is incompetent. We all know way too much about his car.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#310 Post by Ron LaDow »

I'd say we all have better uses for our time.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#311 Post by Adam Wright »

It's kind of like those video montages of car wrecks or people doing stupid stuff, you find yourself watching for a few seconds and then quickly realize it's just sad and turn it off. Concerning this guy, I suspect it's probably exactly like it is presented, he is getting taken for a ride by a not so great shop. He's probably very intimidated by the shop owner and is probably very non-confrontational by nature, so his only outlet is to tell his story to get sympathy or to hopefully prove to himself that he is getting the run around. He may hope if he can do enough research and query the group he will be able to somehow "prove" the ripoff and get up the courage to confront the owner and get him to do the right thing. A fool's errand. Pull the car, if you don't have a space for it, put it in a storage space, and find a new shop. Throwing good money after bad only benefits the person who put you in this position, remember that Thomas. Oh, and get your wheels back, they are worth more than the fake FUCHS.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mathieu Lecomte
356 Fan

#312 Post by Mathieu Lecomte »

If you really want Fuchs, get Maxilites, they are TUV approved (German certification) and a set of new ones will be less than what the shop is asking you for these unknown things...

Thomas A. Arima
356 Fan
Tag: Dad's daily driver

Supermax suitable?

#313 Post by Thomas A. Arima »

Found out on my visit to the shop last week that the new tires that they shod my car with are a Walmart brand called Supermax. Apparently made in Thailand.
max1.jpg
max1.jpg (335.17 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
A search on this forum for Supermax turned up zilch, which also about sums up my knowledge of tires.

The cost for all five tires doesn’t begin to approach the cost of one fake Fuchs wheel that they are selling to me.

Are these tires safe? The car will be a weekend driver.
1965 356C Karmann coupe
1967 adopted by family
VIN: 221XXX
Original home: Carmel By-the-Sea, CA
Engine: 1600cc mini big-bore, Webers
Color: white, black interior
Member since at least 1990
Jan 2020-present - "quarantining" in shop

Joris Koning
356 Fan

Re: Supermax suitable?

#314 Post by Joris Koning »

Thomas, have fun playing somewhere else. These is no room in our sandbox for you.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Joris Koning
356 Fan

Re: What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

#315 Post by Joris Koning »

Guys, previous posts have made it very clear that it is a waste of time to try and help Thomas. Many have tried. He is just here to rock our boat
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe