Thomas A. Arima's Project Car

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: What the Fuchs?

#286 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Thomas; You have gotten many really good comments lately.
PLEASE don't ignore them. You are being screwed over royally, with no end in sight!
I don't know what to say to get you to understand that the shop is ************
I can feel the frustration of the commenters, that you're ignoring all their advice!
Why won't you listen?!

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#287 Post by Jules Dielen »

If you are doing it to keep the shop from closing, you are doing a great job!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#288 Post by Ron LaDow »

I have no idea regarding motivation, but none of the posts have gotten my response; red-lined the troll meter very quickly.
We haven't had such since the list serve days, but regarding the OP, if it quacks like a troll, waddles like a troll and looks like a troll, it's a troll.
First lesson of the web: do NOT feed the trolls.
Whatever his name is, he's a troll and should be properly ignored. Or fed with great advice like "Give the shop you bank account access numbers so they don't have to waste time talking with you!"
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#289 Post by Mike Wilson »

O.k. let's take a different approach. Thomas, it's obvious the shop has no clue how to properly restore your 356 and are scamming you. So, as strongly suggested, you need to get your car out of that shop. Let's suppose you have also reached that decision but are reluctant and maybe afraid to do so. If that is the case, is there a relative or friend that can go with you to the shop to end this fiasco? Perhps even an attorney can be retained. Have a flatbed truck and a storage place lined up beforehand. Then connect with other 356 owners on Oahu for suggestions on who can complete the restoration including the mechanical work. Do NOT let this shop touch the mechanicals on your car.

Those of you who are members in Oahu, reach out to Thomas with recommendations for reputable shops you have dealt with. Thomas, you just might have to send your car to the Mainland. There are many shops on the West Coast that can do excellent restorations. Several of us can provide recommendations.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#290 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ron et al. I just Googled him. 73 years old in Honolulu on Oahu just off Waikiki. Lives in an apartment or condo. Sound right, Thomas?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#291 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike Wilson wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:45 am Ron et al. I just Googled him. 73 years old in Honolulu on Oahu just off Waikiki. Lives in an apartment or condo. Sound right, Thomas?
Mike
Trolls live where they live; do not feed them
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#292 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mike Wilson wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:37 am "O.k. let's take a different approach."
Why would anyone here take a different approach to a troll?
Added by edit: This troll has gotten many well 'educated' folks among the posters here to give him/her very good advice and has ignored all of it, and there remain those who wish to continue to do the same.
I have to admit to re-posting the data regarding oil filtration, but that wasn't aimed at a troll.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Thomas A. Arima
356 Fan
Tag: Dad's daily driver

Re: Quarter window queries

#293 Post by Thomas A. Arima »

They removed the rear quarter window on the passenger's side. Not sure what they are going to do with the rubber seal. Should have taken pics. Keep forgetting.

Asked again if they're going to replace the seals on the vent windows but haven't gotten a straight answer.
1965 356C Karmann coupe
1967 adopted by family
VIN: 221XXX
Original home: Carmel By-the-Sea, CA
Engine: 1600cc mini big-bore, Webers
Color: white, black interior
Member since at least 1990
Jan 2020-present - "quarantining" in shop

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#294 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Maybe you should take the path of explaining tormenter you are out of money and you need to remove your car to keep from adding more to your account bring a flat bed truck and haul it out pay them with a check or a credit card which you have some control over

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#295 Post by Mike Wilson »

Well, Mr. Arima, if you are just trolling us, you have been outed. If you are not trolling us but are just a very niave individual, you have been given an abundance of advice on the restoration (and I use the term loosely) of your 356.

The ball is in your court and wish you all the best. Frankly, I can see no reason to continue this thread.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#296 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Thomas
I’m sorry to be the one to break this to you, but the guys that have your car are on meth. I know it is a big problem there in Hawaii. All the signs point to it. The piles of filth and garbage all over their “shop”. The fact that they keep attempting to do work that you did not authorize and demanding money for it. Trying to sell you junk at twice what it’s worth. Demanding double payment for work that still has not been done. That’s all tweaker shit. I have lost a few friends to that drug and there’s really no good outcome for this. Best case scenario is they all go into rehab tomorrow and they don’t touch your car for two months while they get clean and sober. Worst case scenario is all the other customers realize they’re being screwed and stop paying them and they burn the shop down to get the insurance money. You need to get your car out of there yesterday. Bring a flatbed and bring the police but get it out of there. I know it’s hard to admit that you got suckered, but it’s time to bite the bullet and do it. Good Luck, Jay

Thomas A. Arima
356 Fan

#297 Post by Thomas A. Arima »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:27 am Put some rags in the carbs before more body shop "dust" settles in them.
Bullseye! When they removed the engine, I thought they were going to work on it promptly. Imagine my surprise when I saw it sitting on the floor the following week and the week after. Then I realized that the carb throats were open. The shop is is very dusty and has debris falling from the second floor. They have a hard time keeping the car clean. Told them to stuff rags in the throats. They put the air cleaners back on without fastening them. Actually, they should have put a tarp over the engine.
1965 356C Karmann coupe
1967 adopted by family

Thomas A. Arima
356 Fan

#298 Post by Thomas A. Arima »

Jules Dielen wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:31 am Do not buy replica fuchs. At any price. They are cast, not forged and tend to crack. If you shop around you can find them for cheap, 150 to 200 a wheel for used ones, but they really are not worth even that. I call them hose reels, as that is what they are great for (i have 2 just for that function)

Deep 6 is a term used for the early style 15x6 fuchs. They had a 'heart' around the valve stem. In 1971 the heart disappeared but they were still deep 6. For MY 1972 they changed the design to a flat 6, that was kept until 1977. There were some subtle changes to how the center cap mounted from 3 prong to ring style in 1974.

Every 6x15 has a date stamp on the back between the lug nut holes. Originals are incredibly light and extremely tough wheels, they are often seen on race cars. The replicas are very heavy.

I would stick to stock wheels over anything replica any day of the week.

Your gen pulley and coil bracket should be cad plated white, not zinc yellow, but that looks like a nicely dressed engine. I think your shop missed the cork seal between the shroud and the gen fan. The colorful array of spark plug wires is a nice touch.
Thanks. I'll ask the shop about the zinc color and the cork seal on my next visit.
1965 356C Karmann coupe
1967 adopted by family

Thomas A. Arima
356 Fan

#299 Post by Thomas A. Arima »

Adam Wright wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm Fake Fuchs are a risk, some are fine, some are garbage, but they normally sell used for $100-200 each, so the shop is double charging you. Also, make sure you get your wheels back too, lots of shops will replace stuff on a car, after selling you the replacement and then your parts disappear. And you original wheels are worth as much as the fake Fuchs.
I forgot to ask what make the fake Fuchs are. Do you know the names of the better brand replicas? How can you tell the make of the wheel? How can you tell if the replicas are cast wheels and not forged? Are all replicas cast? Do the replicas have any performance advantage over the stock rims?

If replicas are cast, heavier and prone to crack, why would anyone pay a premium to purchase them?

How much would original stock 356 wheels resell for nowadays? Mine are marked 2 65.

Since I don't even have a parking place, the shop said they'd stow my old wheels for me.
1965 356C Karmann coupe
1967 adopted by family

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#300 Post by Jules Dielen »

Thomas A. Arima wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:38 am
Adam Wright wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm

If replicas are cast, heavier and prone to crack, why would anyone pay a premium to purchase them?

How much would original stock 356 wheels resell for nowadays? Mine are marked 2 65.

Since I don't even have a parking place, the shop said they'd stow my old wheels for me.
There is an advantage with GENUINE fuchs wheels; they are lighter than stock and they can take a serious beating

Fake fuchs do not have any advantage and nobody in their right mind pays a premium. They are cheaper than your stock steel wheels.

I would not let this shop store the used air out of my tires, let alone a set of original date matched wheels. If you do end up storing them, make sure to pay them a hefty storage fee, Thomas! It just fits the story better
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.