Title Car in Alabama

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Lee Baker
356 Fan

Title Car in Alabama

#1 Post by Lee Baker »

I just got off the phone with my county tag and title department in Alabama and they told me Alabama will not title a car this old. I bought my 1957A and wanted to get the title in my name and get tags. They told me all I needed to get tags is a bill of sale. Any other members in Alabama done this? I found this quite odd.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Title Car in Alabama

#2 Post by David Jones »

Sounds like bullshit Lee, I would go higher up the chain to find the real information. Thee are also other legal ways to title a car in another state then bring it back to Alabama. On the other hand you could move to a state with a DMV with more intelligence.
Lee, a quick search on the internet provides the following and I am sure it will be much the same where you live, I assume you are in AL.
https://www.shelbyal.com/632/To-Registe ... ge-Vehicle
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Lee Baker
356 Fan

#3 Post by Lee Baker »

I can get tags NP with bill of sale, I just wanted to get the title in my name. We plan to move back to TN in a few years and I'll get it done then. Thanks for the link David.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#4 Post by Mark Pribanic »

I've used Broadway Title in B'ham before.

https://broadwaytitle.com/lost_car_titles.htm
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

Many states will not title old cars, NY, GA, AL, are a few, usually past 74. The transferable Registration acts as the title. The worst is when you buy a car from somewhere else, hand them a title, and you get a little reg card back, it hurts.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Langer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Langer »

+1 for Adam
Attachments
AL, Confirmation Registration_red.jpg
AL, Confirmation Registration_red.jpg (211.62 KiB) Viewed 928 times

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Mark Pribanic wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 am I've used Broadway Title in B'ham before.

https://broadwaytitle.com/lost_car_titles.htm
Broadway only gives you
"We use various states to title vehicles by using a Bill of Sale & Tag Receipt only. "

Which if you're in a state that titles will transfer into a title, but if you're in a state that doesn't title old cars it does not transfer into a title, but a transferable registration. Broadway will usually give you an Alabama reg, or a Maine one. Both work because states have reciprocity to the rules of other states. But in this case, since the guy is in Alabama he won't get a title.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

J Warren
356 Fan

#8 Post by J Warren »

Ran into the same thing in Georgia with my '57A. I instead gave them the bill of sale and kept the old title (just because I wanted it). I told the DMV lady the bill of sale was all I had and she did not even blink. Just handed me a new registration card. I did ask her if I had turned a title in what would happen. She told me they shred the old title. Makes zero sense.
Seems a bit backwards.
Interestingly I did try to title a 1941 Ford GP ( the original military jeep) in Georgia after restoration in 2018. Was told that it had a lien on it (Augusta, Ga from 1961 for $37). So someone is writing all this down😀.