Generator pulley hub questions

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Steve Nau
356 Fan

Generator pulley hub questions

#1 Post by Steve Nau »

The generator pulley and hub on my 56 coupe were damaged. The hub had grooves worn in it and the hole in the pulley was stretched.
The new hub from Stoddard is different. Picture of old and new are attached. Old hub is on the bottom.
I have three hundred miles on the rebuilt engine and the new hub and pulley are damaged like the old ones were.

Questions:
1. Was my old pulley hub wrong?
2, The shims that I have are three different thickness. Stoddard only shows one thickness so I have ordered a new set thinking the old ones may be the issue. Any other suggestions as to what is causing the hub and pulley damage?
Attachments
IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3026.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 812 times

Ray Knight
356 Fan

Re: Generator pulley hub questions

#2 Post by Ray Knight »

the top hub (one sided with flange at one end) is the pulley hub, the bottom hub (two sided with flange in middle) is the fan hub on the other end, supporting the fan in the housing.
the other thing I learned over the years is adjusting belt pulley with shims. I used to start too tight & move shims til it felt right, that results in belt probably being too tight, after eating gen bearings a couple times. i switched to starting too loose, moving shims one at a time until it is snug enough. no more problems.
get the right hub with the right tension, new pulley halves if yours are wallowed out & you should be good.
good luck, be safe
Ray

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ken Tuvman »

I carry an extra belt & pulley set after being stranded - figured a spare belt was enough to carry but now know the pulley can easily get chewed up / also helps to have the generator nut wrench & other tool that prevents inner hub from moving when tightening
Author / Photojournalist

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#4 Post by Phil Planck »

I think the total thickness if the shim pack is 10mm. Measure how thick your old assortment pack is. You need that 10mm to keep everything compressed on the hub.
Phil Planck

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Phil Planck wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:46 pm I think the total thickness if the shim pack is 10mm. Measure how thick your old assortment pack is. You need that 10mm to keep everything compressed on the hub.
Yes! It is critical to make sure everything is clamped properly. If not enough shims, the pulleys are not clamped tightly enough. If they are clamped right, no problem!

Steve Nau
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Nau »

Thanks for all the responses. I have been restoring the 1956 coupe for going on five years now and could never have gotten this far without this group!!

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#7 Post by Michael Foster »

10 pack of shims mentioned is for front pulley with fan belt. Not fan side.

Michael Foster
MICHAEL FOSTER