electric fuel pump with on off switch

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jeffrey Vogel
356 Fan

electric fuel pump with on off switch

#1 Post by Jeffrey Vogel »

I would like to add an auxiliary electric low pressure fuel pump to my 1964 SC, it would you it to prime the float bowls before starting and as back up if mechanical pump fails. On C car i have been recommended to install it under the tank on the front cross member. I could wire switch to dash. Hover if I do that I think it will impede the flow to the mechanical pump when not in use. Organizing some type of bypass in the engine compartment between the two pumps is possible but has anyone else done this ? I know that there are lot's of 356 running electric low pressure pumps but I prefer on a switched basis

Jeffrey Vogel
jeffrey vogel
driving since 1959
porsche 356 SC
bugatti t35
lotus elan s2
miata NA
BMW r27
Triumph t100R
ALFA gulia

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

Re: electric fuel pump with on off switch

#2 Post by Jim Clement »

I got my set up ( 6 v for a 57 T1) from Zimms..
works great , 3 way switch, I only use the momentary switch.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Jeffrey, if the electric pump does not impede the flow to the mechanical pump then there is no reason to expect vice versa surely.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#4 Post by Jim Clement »

Yes, mine and many others are simple in line pumps - mine is under the passenger floor board, with the switch discreetly attached on a tab that is attached to the steering column bolt.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#5 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Like Jim, mine is under the passenger side floor board. The use of the electric pump in no way impedes the flow to the mechanical one. I have used electric pumps in addition to the mechanical ones on several 356s over the past few decades and never experienced any fuel flow problems. My electric units have always been controlled with on/off switching, mainly use the electric to prime the engine after periods of inactivity.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bruce Smith »

What you don't want to do is run both the mechanical and an electric pump together. The mechanical pump will increase the pressure it receives and may exceed the capacity of the float valve. With both in-line, it would be best to use the electric pump only to prime and shut it off before starting.
Bruce Smith

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Check out enginesinback.com Click on blog and scroll down a bit. Paul has a remote controlled electric pump. No switch to install. Cool Beans! https://www.enginesinback.com/blog
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.