Researching early history of my project

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Jim Champa
356 Fan

Researching early history of my project

#1 Post by Jim Champa »

I am restoring a '57 Reutter Coupe chassis #101522. It was a California car owned by a gentleman named Gary Swindell, last titled in San Jose, California in '05. It's original engine was #66783 but was replaced by engine #807102 somewhere along the line. The replacement S-90 engine is from a '63 B. It was rebuilt by Harry Pellow at some point. It went through a succession of short-term owners until a gentleman in Jackson Hole, Wyoming purchased it off e-bay.(item number 4583158387). He began a full restoration until he decided to sell. I purchased it in 2012, disassembled, all components labeled and boxed, on a rotisserie. Since acquiring the car I have taken it to bare metal and had all the minor rust work repaired. I returned it to it's original aquamarine blue paint and brown leatherette interior. As it had some leakage from the engine the upper end was refreshed and all seals and gaskets replaced. I am about ready to install the engine and sort out the restored and/or replaced mechanicals. The COA verifies a production completion date of 08/21/57. During the restoration all panels were found to be original. The only exception is one of the five rims is dated 7/59, with the others dated 7/57.

I hope to attend the West Coast Holiday in Bend in September and would love to know more about this cars early history. I would be most appreciative in any information I can obtain.

Jim Champa #39519