1962T6 tow hook installtion

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
francis gnatek
356 Fan

1962T6 tow hook installtion

#1 Post by francis gnatek »

hi, can some one point me in right direction or provide info on how to install the tow hook support bracket along with the hook itself.
the hook location is set by the floor recess and holes but the support bracket is a mystery.
does it get welded in place or attached with tow hook rivets?
where is it placed? inside the trunk floor, between the hook and floor?
thanks in advance .

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

Re: 1962T6 tow hook installtion

#2 Post by Kevin Wills »

It goes in the trunk on the front edge. Mine is plug welded in the front, riveted, and I tacked the back edge on either side. Someone might have a picture of how it was done originally - I was just going for strength. To do the rivets, I cut off a cheap air chisel and drilled a dimple into it. Used a jack and dolly block to hold the rivet up from the bottom, cherried the top side of the rivet with a torch and used the modified air chisel to mushroom the top. Again, just how I did it, not sure what would be considered "proper". I'm happy with how it turned out...
Attachments
tow hook.jpg
tow hook.jpg (515.73 KiB) Viewed 670 times

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#3 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Excellent technique.

francis gnatek
356 Fan

#4 Post by francis gnatek »

thank you Kevin, I saved my original trunk floor for reference but of course cannot find it now that I'm finally getting it back together.
Kevin Wills wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:12 pm It goes in the trunk on the front edge. Mine is plug welded in the front, riveted, and I tacked the back edge on either side. Someone might have a picture of how it was done originally - I was just going for strength. To do the rivets, I cut off a cheap air chisel and drilled a dimple into it. Used a jack and dolly block to hold the rivet up from the bottom, cherried the top side of the rivet with a torch and used the modified air chisel to mushroom the top. Again, just how I did it, not sure what would be considered "proper". I'm happy with how it turned out...

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

#5 Post by Kevin Wills »

Thanks, Harlan.

Francis, glad to help and I know what you mean. I have parts squirreled away everywhere (I have a back window in my bedroom closet). Hopefully I can find everything when I'm ready to put the car together...

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Winer »

I cut the rivets off even with the floor inside, support from underneath and button weld the cut off ends to the inside floor. I would advise to never tow utilizing the hook.
Alan

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

:D My race car has been towed plenty of times with that stock hook. :D

RSTOAD
356 Fan

#8 Post by RSTOAD »

The hook will work just fine, have towed many using it. True not designed to start of at 30 miles an hour but an easy start out it will hold up just fine. THe rivets are designed to be dollied into place. They are not that hard but the above technique good.