Which is the correct air filter canister for a 63B t6

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Gus Guzman
356 Fan

Which is the correct air filter canister for a 63B t6

#1 Post by Gus Guzman »

I powder coated the short ones but then realized they dont fit? Are these for another year?
IMG_5563.PNG
IMG_5563.PNG (402.91 KiB) Viewed 963 times

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Which is the correct air filter canister for a 63B t6

#2 Post by David Jones »

The T6 came with both. Sometimes the left one had a plug where the breather hose would have connected on the right side air filter can. At least that is my belief.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Gus Guzman
356 Fan

#3 Post by Gus Guzman »

Just a note I have 2 sets, 2 short necks and 2 long necks? just want to make sure I restored the right ones:)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

The short necks were used with the flip top oil fillers.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

The tall ones were used starting with the C. They also used up the short ones on the left side for a while. Then they used tall on both sides, with a plug in the left one as Dave mentioned.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

David and Vic, I'm interested to know more about the plug in the left (standing behind engine) 356C air cleaner. Type of plug? Diameter? Photo?

Note: interesting is that the part number of the 356C air cleaner was unchanged from the 356B version (for some reason). But noted in catalog page is an O-ring (999-701-093.50); what was the function of that O-ring? Maybe it was a mistake and a plug should have been listed. I don't doubt that there was a plug; I remember having in stock new air cleaners had some sort of a plug, maybe yellow.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Brad Ripley wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:34 pm David and Vic, I'm interested to know more about the plug in the left (standing behind engine) 356C air cleaner. Type of plug? Diameter? Photo?

Note: interesting is that the part number of the 356C air cleaner was unchanged from the 356B version (for some reason). But noted in catalog page is an O-ring (999-701-093.50); what was the function of that O-ring? Maybe it was a mistake and a plug should have been listed. I don't doubt that there was a plug; I remember having in stock new air cleaners had some sort of a plug, maybe yellow.
The O-ring went inside the neck of the air cleaner. It helped to seal it better. I wasn't aware of it for years. We need someone with an ORIGINAL C to check their short air cleaner for an O-ring. I'm guessing they didn't use one in the short version, because they weren't designed for it. The O-ring was probably needed for the emissions function of the air cleaner; and to make sure all the blow-by junk was forced into the carburetor. :D