1956 356 "GT"

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: 1956 356 "GT"

#196 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Trond,
LEDs don,t draw much current so a 12v inverter would probably work for you in this case.

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#197 Post by Tom Tate »

I hope that you take this as a helpful comment. I have always been told that the oil breather tube coming from the oil filler canister, needs to be long enough to just protrude past the bottom of the engine. That is so when driven the air passing under the car will create a suction at the opening there by reducing crankcase pressure. I see that the tube on your engine is a few inches short and stops midway down the case. A short rubber tube placed over the end of the metal tube will solve that problem easily. KTF

Trond Vidar
356 Fan

#198 Post by Trond Vidar »

Thanks Harlan, had not thought abut that and yes it would not be more than 20 watt or so and with the relay setup the switch in the dash will only send signal current. I found a source though, I may try these the warm white 3000K would be fine.
https://www.ledlight.com/h1-h3-h7-led-b ... round.aspx

The holes in the reflector seem to be very small, none of the (12V) H1 bulbs I have for other cars would enter.

Tom, any comments are welcome and especially good advice. I will find and cut a hose and extend the breather tube, anything to keep the engine happy.
Attachments
IMG_0833.jpeg
IMG_0833.jpeg (462.3 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
'56A coupe & '63B coupe

Juha Vane
356 Fan

#199 Post by Juha Vane »

Hi Trond,
Here are H1 6V bulbs, if the info in web site is correct:

https://www.jussinmaki.net/ajoneuvovala ... JAHN-6258/

It's in Finnish, sorry. Not expensive.
I can order you some, say like 4pcs and mail.
You can then PayPal me.
KTF,

Juha Vane
Finland

'59 308
'63 356
'85 911

Trond Vidar
356 Fan

#200 Post by Trond Vidar »

Thanks for the offer Juha, I just ordered a few "warm white" 6V LED bulbs from ledlight.com, if they dont fit I will get back to you and order from the Suomi site! :)
'56A coupe & '63B coupe

Trond Vidar
356 Fan

#201 Post by Trond Vidar »

While waiting for the bulbs for the '63 I had some time to work on the '56 today. I installed a new carb linkage and swapped the chrome for flat4 air filter boxes.

The flat4 filter box is more appealing than the chrome one I got with the weber kit. Very happy with the new look.

The new linkage kit from CSP is very well made and apart from being too tight on the throttle shaft they are the business for 40IDF, my last setup was a mix of brackets and rods but this kit came with springs and all. I had to work with two small metal files on the shaft openings, one flat and one round.

The CSP rods were slightly shorter than my mix and match kit and I do have to tune the rods and levers again when the season starts.
I will try to find or fabricate bushings for the lever on the tranny and on the fan-housing, they are slightly sloppy. I have had some luck making bushings from Delrin rods but not sure whether the diameters will be too small if so then maybe thinwall brass tubing will work.

The levers are thick and sturdy.
IMG_0880.jpeg
Springs on levers installs hooks up in the Flat4 filter box
IMG_0879.jpeg
The Flat4 box looks better, here with my old mix and match lever set.
IMG_0878.jpeg
'56A coupe & '63B coupe

Trond Vidar
356 Fan

#202 Post by Trond Vidar »

Back to the '63, the 6V LED bulbs will be here tomorrow and with Leonis superb wiring diagrams it was easy to identify the fog circuit.

Left hand foglight wire coil in the booth had a connector on it and must have been used once, the right side seemed to have been untouched since it left the factory.

I now found out what the "VW" switch under the dash was intended for. Did not really like the position as it is easy to forget and I will investigate and consider making a hole in the dash for a correct switch with illumination.

The fog wiring was soft enough and I routed the wires into the fog lights, since I will be using LED I decided to drop the relay setup.

VW switch in a bracket.
IMG_0905.jpeg
'56A coupe & '63B coupe

Trond Vidar
356 Fan

#203 Post by Trond Vidar »

All week no time for playing with cars bur Saturday morning it was.
Over here it is still quite far from spring, 3 degrees C below freezing when I drove up in the morning and 4C above five hours later when I went home.

The 6V LED H1 work fine, I was hoping for more yellow but not so as the LEDs were kind of bright. This was an easy install but I think I need to install four serrated lock washers to keep the foglights secure.
I also wanted to try yellow bulbs in the headlamps, vive la France very nostalgic. :D
IMG_0908.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg
The '56 with Flat4 air filter cans and linkage adjusted, the filters made the engine look better.
IMG_0912.jpeg
'56A coupe & '63B coupe